'17 DL Christopher Thornton (Amarillo Palo Duro) [LOI: NT]

TheReal_jayD

10 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Yeah, I thought we flipped Hambone late.  TXSt maybe?

11 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

Hambone was a 3 star recruit with 2 other FBS offers, plus several FCS offers. 

http://247sports.com/Recruitment/LaDarius-Hamilton-72458/RecruitInterests

Tx State pulled offer and I believe so did Lafeyette. It was between us and Mcneese at the end

• Upvote 1

I know people are going to complain about how he has no offers and isn't a 3 star, but I don't really see why people think we should be winning all these recruiting battles.

Obviously as UNT fans we know all the great reasons why they should pick UNT over others but if you're looking head to head with a school like UTSA as an 18 year old which one would you pick? To play at a school that has had way more success in the last few years and now has a head coach that was last Leonard Fournette's position coach at a powerhouse SEC school, or here where they have had 2 "good" seasons in the last decade and 2 years ago was maybe the worst FBS team in history. 

Im a North Texas homer myself but we have to look at the situation. This is not only a major rebuild but a major culture change happening. One 5 win season won't all of a sudden open recruits' eyes. Seth and company are on the right track and making way more progress than even they probably expected at this point but still more to go until we should be expecting every guy to have multiple FBS offers like we do now. 

My favorite NFL team is Tampa Bay, and a few years ago they got a TE at the top of the 2nd round that dropped because of injury and off field concerns but had 1st round talent. They also signed a UDFA TE from Harvard that year. The Harvard guy out worked the draft pick and is now one of the star players on the team, while the draft pick got cut. Sometimes it's not about the talent or stars but about the fit and work ethic. These are the guys that help change the culture. These blue shirts have a chip on their shoulders to prove some people on this board wrong and I hope they do.

And honestly I'm going to trust Seth and Co. about the guys they are adding because they know their systems and the type of guys they need to fit that. Also there is a reason they are D1 coaches and we are on this board. No one expected UNT to win more than a couple games at best and we almost won a bowl game against a tough Army team. I understand the skepticism but trust the process. GMG!

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 8

2 minutes ago, MEEN2018 said:

I know people are going to complain about how he has no offers and isn't a 3 star, but I don't really see why people think we should be winning all these recruiting battles.

I don't expect to recruit better than UT, but I sure as hell don't expect to get smoked by UTSA in recruiting either.  Say whatever you want to say about NT's short comings, but it's not like the UTSA, FIU, etc don't have them also and they are currently beating us pretty handily in the recruiting race.  

That being said, on this specific recruit, I think West Texas kids are often overlooked.  

1 minute ago, Cerebus said:

I don't expect to recruit better than UT, but I sure as hell don't expect to get smoked by UTSA in recruiting either.  Say whatever you want to say about NT's short comings, but it's not like the UTSA, FIU, etc don't have them also and they are currently beating us pretty handily in the recruiting race.  

That being said, on this specific recruit, I think West Texas kids are often overlooked.  

I agree that we should EXPECT to be beating those teams. We should expect to be like TCU was before they joined the Big 12, a mid major power. But the team and athletic department were both horrible before Seth and Wren got here and there is rebuilding to be done. UNT has more to offer than almost all other G5 programs but a lot of times recruits see the win-loss records. I think next year we should definitely be expecting to be one of the best recruiting teams in CUSA as I anticipate a better year than last. I think if after another year we are still getting badly outrecruited then it will be time to start to worry, but not yet.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I really like this young man's video.  Fast off the edge, uses his hands well to fend off blockers/strong upper body, has the athleticism to run down players, hurdle blockers, etc...  Seems to be humble and a hard worker.

Reminds me a little of a kid from lake Dallas that ended up at UTSA.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

35 minutes ago, Harry said:

Is this the year of the Blue shirt or what?

With every blueshirt we offer, the 2018 class dwindles.   I worry more and more with each one we offer.

EDIT:  by "dwindles" I mean recruits who will be seniors in high school this upcoming season.  I understand we still have the same number of guys.

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Tx State pulled offer and I believe so did Lafeyette. It was between us and Mcneese at the end

Right, but they still offered, and they still believed he had FBS-level ability when they evaluated him. In this case we are the first FBS team to evaluate this kid as having an FBS prospect.

I would say his case is more similar to Joseph Ozougwu. And I think that'll be a little more similar blueprint as far as role and development path that he will take.