MGB breaking news -- Jeremy Combs is done for year

Brett Vito

I wouldn't fault Combs going elsewhere.  However, I hope NT gets a coach that can recruit him to stay.  

I have no idea why the coaching staff thought he could play this year.  It should have been obvious he was never ready.   Not only lost a year of eligibility but risked his basketball career by playing.  

Makes you wonder not only about Benford and the training staff; but also how much oversight the AD has.   

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 2

If anything that shows that Benford at least did one thing right with these guys. He had preached family and responsibility since day one. These guys are getting an education and degrees that will take them further than their skills on the court. I know for a fact they are all thankful for that. Accountability is a great thing. I hope he stays and I would think he would be loyal to the program that helped him stay the path and graduate early. I could be wrong... but I hope 🙂

then again it does say considering his options so... ?

If there were just a few guys I would want back Combs would be one. Combs, Woolridge, Lawson, Holston, and Brice. Thats a good starting five and the five guys I don't want to leave. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 9

Hope you are right, and you maybe ,because of his injury.  However, I don't buy your take on front court transfer players.  NT has got one the last two years: Green and Katenda and neither of those had close to the potential of a Combs.  There are a lot of graduate front court players that have transferred and the thread is upward.   

• Upvote 1

Coleman was kicked off campus 

Mitchell went pro 

Wesley was arrested 

Harris transferred (great scorer but did have some anger issues that I think needed addressing) 

CJ transferred (he was upset that Benford wanted him to be more of a facilitating point guard and less of a scoring point guard) 

Edit: forgot about Ward who who essentially was shown the door so Frazier could come on...

Those are the big ones I can think of. I do wish Harris sought off the court help and Mitchell and CJ had stayed with Jordan. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 9

Let me say I really hope Combs will stick around.  Last time around, it seemed very important that the new hire be able to convince the players (Tony M etc) to stay.  This time, I think we just have to get the right guy regardless of the roster impact.  This is such a critical hire.  Hopefully we can do both.

13 hours ago, Harry said:

Let me say I really hope Combs will stick around.  Last time around, it seemed very important that the new hire be able to convince the players (Tony M etc) to stay.  This time, I think we just have to get the right guy regardless of the roster impact.  This is such a critical hire.  Hopefully we can do both.

We don't have a Mitchell on this roster outside of Frazier, and I don't know what's up with him, but he's not on Mitchell's level.  Not worried if we lose him.  

Not to mention the 3 Freshmen we needed to also keep (Williams, Jones, Robinson-whom we lost anyway).   Considering those 4 guys when replacing JJ & the momentum he built was absolutely was critical.   RV made the wrong hire.  We lost it all.

Now, it doesn't matter.  
A new broom sweeps clean and I actually/unselfishly hope Combs gets a shot as a grad transfer to go win, rather than sticking around here to rebuild.  Although, if he does stick around, I'll be very happy!

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

We don't have a Mitchell on this roster outside of Frazier, and I don't know what's up with him, but he's not on Mitchell's level.  Not worried if we lose him.  

Not to mention the 3 Freshmen we needed to also keep (Williams, Jones, Robinson-whom we lost anyway).   Considering those 4 guys when replacing JJ & the momentum he built was absolutely was critical.   RV made the wrong hire.  We lost it all.

Now, it doesn't matter.  
A new broom sweeps clean and I actually/unselfishly hope Combs gets a shot as a grad transfer to go win, rather than sticking around here to rebuild.  Although, if he does stick around, I'll be very happy!

Fraizer has about 10% of the raw ability that Mitchell possessed.

That is a little unfair to Fraizer, as he is a different player, but still, there is a STARK contrast between he and Mitchell's ability.

Frazier left SMU after his junior year for a bad UNT program, Mitchell left UNT after his junior year for the NBA draft. Big difference.

I agree about Combs. And to some who say it's a slap in the face to the people who put him in a position to graduate early, well, those people are HIS PARENTS who ingrained that work ethic in Combs long before he got to UNT. I think they will be fine with whatever decision he makes. Too bad UNT decided to waste the first 3 years of his college career by keeping a failed head coach employed. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

10 hours ago, UNT90 said:

Fraizer has about 10% of the raw ability that Mitchell possessed.

That is a little unfair to Fraizer, as he is a different player, but still, there is a STARK contrast between he and Mitchell's ability.

Frazier left SMU after his junior year for a bad UNT program, Mitchell left UNT after his junior year for the NBA draft. Big difference.

I agree about Combs. And to some who say it's a slap in the face to the people who put him in a position to graduate early, well, those people are HIS PARENTS who ingrained that work ethic in Combs long before he got to UNT. I think they will be fine with whatever decision he makes. Too bad UNT decided to waste the first 3 years of his college career by keeping a failed head coach employed. 

Mitchell was and is a physical freak. However, Frazier was just as highly recruited as Mitchell coming out of high school.  Mitchell his sophomore year was a second team all Belt player, that means there were at least 10 players selected better than him in the conference.   His first year he should have been the MVP, his second year he was a classic underachiever and I can't  blame all that on Benford.  

Frazier's college career has been a major disappointment, but so was Mitchell's.  Frazier was a contributing player on a very good ball club, Mitchell was the star on at best a mediocre squad.  

If Mitchell had half the effort of a healthy Combs, he would be a star in the NBA.   Frazier doesn't have close to that innate ability and very few do.  I just hope that we can see a little of what a healthy Frazier can do this year.  

I like you. hope Combs is here next year, but more importantly I hope he gets back to being the player he was or better no matter where it is at. 

• Upvote 1