Can UNT win one conference game with Benford as coach?

UNT90

Looking at the schedule, the chances are good that UNT goes winless in conference play.

Both FAU and FIU are awful, but UNT is equally or more awful and plays both these teams on the road, where UNT has won 1 time in the last 19 (?) tries. 

There isn't another winnable road game on the schedule, if any road game could be considered winnable at this point. 

As far as home games, the most winnable is UTEP. I don't think UNT will be favored in any other of the remaining games. Charolette ain't great, but they score a lot of points and UNT won't be able to keep up. 

Look for yourself. Try to find a win. It isn't easy:

http://www.meangreensports.com/sports/m-baskbl/sched/ntex-m-baskbl-sched.html

Are you ok going winless with Tony Benford finishing out the season?

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 4

4 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

Can UNT win one conference game? Yes.

With Benford at the helm? Yes.

Is it likely? No.

I am not ok with any likely scenario left to us this season that includes Benford remaining at the head coach for the season. 

It's really really hard to pull on 0-fer in conference play. The odds are that at some point, some visiting team will be tired or simply underestimate UNT.

But, if the players quit (already signs of this occurring), 0-18 is a very real possibility. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

I think one win is the most we can hope for. The team has quit on him already--and its hard to blame them for that. Many of us said earlier this season that once it becomes clear that Benford won't be retained--and that basically became obvious in the first week of conference play--the players' efforts will pull back. Its just the nature of the beast, that when a team knows their coach is a lame duck or DOA, the effort usually drops. Its what we are seeing now.

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

I think one win is the most we can hope for. The team has quit on him already--and its hard to blame them for that. Many of us said earlier this season that once it becomes clear that Benford won't be retained--and that basically became obvious in the first week of conference play--the players' efforts will pull back. Its just the nature of the beast, that when a team knows their coach is a lame duck or DOA, the effort usually drops. Its what we are seeing now.

Which is going to make it exceedingly difficult to win a conference game.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

4 hours ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

this whole paradox of is firing Benford now or the end the season best for the University is certainly analogous to the Schrodinger's Cat theory....  Is the team both dead AND alive??? 

Were they ever alive?

Has there been any point in Benford's time here after he ran off Johnny's players that we've had a team that gelled together and played well as a team?

Benford's whole time here has been a revolving door of recruits who never pan out or who are such basket cases that he's never had a team that could find itself as a team. It seems like every October we find that half the starters are new and there's always some additional new guy who will hopefully become eligible at the semester break and solve all the problems. 

• Upvote 4

17 hours ago, UNT90 said:

Which is going to make it exceedingly difficult to win a conference game.

I hear ya 90, but it is what it is. I recommend something else to occupy your mind until the situation is fixed.

Edited by Hunter Green
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

29 minutes ago, Hunter Green said:

I hear ya 90, but it is what it is. I recommend something else to occupy your mind until the situation is fixed.

I'll have plenty of free time in future winters if this isn't dealt with before the end of the season. 

Maybe I'll start attending UTA or TCU games. I like college basketball, more than college football, actually, so if UNT confirms to me they don't care, I'll move along. 

Until that time I'll continue the fight. Will it matter? Time will tell.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

30 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

I like college basketball, more than college football, actually, so if UNT confirms to me they don't care, I'll move along. 

Right there with you in the above bolded statement.  I understand that to many on the board, basketball is a distant 2nd to football, but as has been stated a number of times by numerous posters on this basketball forum, they actually prefer basketball to football (but support both). It seems that this football first mentality pushes the current narrative that would keep the status quo through the end of the season because "we don't have any good options" and "the support has already dwindled, oh well". Letting this situation continue to play out is just maddening.

Did we have good options in the Dodge or Mac situations either? When you appoint an interim, it's inherently going to be a crap shoot. What if they happen to get something out of the team though? ie. Canales after he took over for Dodge. Don't see realistic outcomes that could be appreciably worse.

I'm not interested in going to the lengths you're describing like attending other universities basketball games in the future, however, I am monitoring this situation with great interest.  I doubled my MGC donation last year when we hired Littrell because I was satisfied with the process and wanted to show positive support.  I'm in the situation to do the same thing again this year if I choose to.  So far, I haven't seen much to be impressed with in the handling of the basketball program. We'll see.

• Downvote 1

On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 9:41 AM, UNT90 said:

I'll have plenty of free time in future winters if this isn't dealt with before the end of the season. 

Maybe I'll start attending UTA or TCU games. I like college basketball, more than college football, actually, so if UNT confirms to me they don't care, I'll move along. 

I'm exactly like you are 90--I prefer college hoops to college football, and I really enjoy college football. But college hoops is my passion--I love it more than any other sport. I gre up a huge Kansas fan, due to family being up there and loving to play hoops.

I used to love going to the Super Pit for games, particularly when JJ had us finally going in the right direction. But I went o lots of games when I was in school, too, with Jimmy Gales, Tim Jankovich, and Vic Trilli as coaches, seeing some really good play (under Jank) and some really awful play (under Trilli). But I won't watch Benford teams--the play is terrible, the crowd of empty seats is embarrassing, and the acceptance of the losing to just save dollars or to let a few big donors have a toy--they all combine to me going away. Just like it has for thousands of others.

But college hoops is the rare animal that can see huge turnarounds really quickly. It takes one good player and a solid coaching staff to get back to being a winner. It can be done very quickly--at least at other places it has been done quickly. If Baker can get the right guy here and he can use the talent that is here to gel, this thing could be competitive again next year--maybe not top of CUSA solid, but .500 or better in CUSA play is possible.

15 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Baker's judgement is in question with me if he fails to fire Benford. I have zero hope that he would make the proper hire under that scenario.

But couldn't it be that Benford is just about to break out of his shell? 

I still believe in Wren. In the long run does it matter if it is a Mid Season Fire or an End of the season Fire? 

I  expect that we would not be able to announce a new coach until the end the regular schedule? Do the tournaments play into that at all? 

Just now, KingDL1 said:

I still believe in Wren. In the long run does it matter if it is a Mid Season Fire or an End of the season Fire? 

I  expect that we would not be able to announce a new coach until the end the regular schedule? Do the tournaments play into that at all? 

Depends on the hire, if a coach is in the tournament, they will likely not leave until that is done.

46 minutes ago, KingDL1 said:

Kind of the pattern emerging is that it matters to basketball fans and doesn't matter to those that aren't into college basketball, which makes sense.

If you really don't care about something, why would you care what happened to it? Human nature. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

24 minutes ago, KingDL1 said:

Can't even talk to other coaches under contract until the season is over.  Not too many unemployed coaches I see going after, unless you want Larry Brown...we would win in short term, just before going on probation...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4