Contact Wren Baker and Neal Smatresk

UNT90

46 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

Let go benford and any players that want to leave can leave.  We are not winning with them anyway and this team is going to require a total rebuild.  An assistant can finish out the year is not like we are going anywhere and I don't think benford will turn this team around take it to the NCAA.  

No this team is far from needing a total rebuild.   There are a lot of nice parts that a good coach should be able to put together and be a much better team than what Benford produced.  Freshmen: Lawson & Woolridge, both very promising.   Sophomores : Brice, Holston, Brown , all have shown something and have potential; I can see all three developing into reliable pieces and one or more may breakout.    Juniors:  Tamara  has shown he can play well enough to at least be a reliable front court backup.  Combs is the key, if he returns to sophomore form; he could be a great player in his senior year.   

Some of the guys, maybe most of them will be gone depending on what the new coach can bring in.  I think Benford signed two recruits and there are two injury redshirts who sit out.  That only leaves 2 spots open assuming all the ships are renewed.   I would guess at less 3 or 4 of the current cast will get the message to look elsewhere.   Combs, Lawson and Woolridge would be on my short list to keep.  I think those 3 along could be a good nucleus to build on and add the other 4 returning 2016-17 letterman and I can envision a breakeven CUSA squad with only minimal help from new coach recruits.    

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

On January 6th 2012, the basketball power of our conference, Western Kentucky dismissed coach Ken McDonald after a 5-11 start.  Their interim coach Ray Harper turned it around, led them to four straight wins to win the post season Sunbelt tourney and made it to the round of 32 of the Big Dance.

If they thought a change was needed in January then we should too.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/college/mensbasketball/2012-01-06-16370562_x.htm

Rick

?????????????????????????????????

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

15 hours ago, EagleMBA said:

To your "in charge" point, I guess at this point I'm focussed on the young men who wear the green and take the floor to represent us. My opinion is that it would be to everyone's benefit to minimize the turmoil they experience.

They are young men, they can handle it if their boss gets fired just like people handle it everyday in the workforce. They aren't little snowflakes!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Hunter Green said:

No. I'm just saying that at this point, I don't think it makes any difference. 

I think you would be surprised.

What gets me is people on here (not you) thinking for some reason the players are loyal to Benford. To believe that, you would have to believe the players don't care whether they win or lose. 

I don't believe that. At all.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

21 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

I think you would be surprised.

What gets me is people on here (not you) thinking for some reason the players are loyal to Benford. To believe that, you would have to believe the players don't care whether they win or lose. 

I don't believe that. At all.

I would have no problem if The Wren fired Benford today and replaced him with an assistant. I just wonder if any assistant currently on staff would do anything different. I just want a coach in here next year who know how to coach up.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1