Contact Wren Baker and Neal Smatresk

UNT90

By phone. By email. By social media. By carrier pigeon. 

Whatever method. 

Let them know your feelings on Tony Benford. 

There is a window to fire Benford after the La. Tech game. Apply pressure if you don't want to see him here all year.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 8
  • Downvote 5

6 hours ago, UNT90 said:

By phone. By email. By social media. By carrier pigeon. 

Whatever method. 

Let them know your feelings on Tony Benford. 

There is a window to fire Benford after the La. Tech game. Apply pressure if you don't want to see him here all year.

That is correct.  There is absolutely no reason for Benford to coach another game at The Super Pit.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

4 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

I'll make the prediction now that La Texh will give us a gift by killing us in Ruston, La, which will be Benford's last game to coach here. He will be terminated before the next game after Saturday. 

Let the healing begin...

We got RV'd so hard by Benford...

I'm hoping you are right, but will take no chances. Neither should anyone else. Let them know how you feel.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

My guess is January 29 or February 5 depending on if we squeek out a victory against Charlotte or not.

Securing a below .500 record will be the nail in his coffin. They may just be trying to prevent another Chico for president uprising.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Hunter Green said:

Something tells me they know all about Benford without us having to tell them. They're not idiots. And what's going to change? Does anyone think we'll start winning?

This. AT THIS POINT, a change is more disruptive than it is worth. It would be symbolic only.  The guy we want to replace TB is not going to be in a position to talk for a few more weeks. I expect action in late March or early April re: interviews; if not, I'll be pissed.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3

3 minutes ago, EagleMBA said:

This. AT THIS POINT, a change is more disruptive than it is worth. It would be symbolic only.  The guy we want to replace TB is not going to be in a position to talk for a few more weeks. I expect action in late March or early April re: interviews; if not, I'll be pissed.

By thus rationale after Portland St. we should of stuck with McCarney.

A change has to be made ASAP to show the fan base that what Benford has done to the program is unacceptable. 

46 minutes ago, Hunter Green said:

Something tells me they know all about Benford without us having to tell them. They're not idiots. And what's going to change? Does anyone think we'll start winning?

Lol so someone different is going to do worse for the rest of the year? 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

1 minute ago, shootermcgavin44 said:

A change has to be made ASAP to show the fan base that what Benford has done to the program is unacceptable. 

Well, maybe LaTech will be a "Portland State moment", which would justify some action at this juncture. Then what? Who will steer the boat? How would that improve the potential number of wins? I am churning inside but my head is still in control.

Let's all try to resist acting like THIS (FWIW, I'm tempted):

200.gif#8

• Downvote 5

14 minutes ago, shootermcgavin44 said:

Lol so someone different is going to do worse for the rest of the year? 

Does it matter who is in charge as long as it's NOT Benford?

Why does it matter if we win a few more games? It's going to be a blank slate next year. It's about telling your fan base that enough is enough 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

On January 6th 2012, the basketball power of our conference, Western Kentucky dismissed coach Ken McDonald after a 5-11 start.  Their interim coach Ray Harper turned it around, led them to four straight wins to win the post season Sunbelt tourney and made it to the round of 32 of the Big Dance.

If they thought a change was needed in January then we should too.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/college/mensbasketball/2012-01-06-16370562_x.htm

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 4

24 minutes ago, shootermcgavin44 said:

Does it matter who is in charge as long as it's NOT Benford?

Why does it matter if we win a few more games? It's going to be a blank slate next year. It's about telling your fan base that enough is enough 

To your "in charge" point, I guess at this point I'm focussed on the young men who wear the green and take the floor to represent us. My opinion is that it would be to everyone's benefit to minimize the turmoil they experience.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

1 minute ago, EagleMBA said:

To your "in charge" point, I guess at this point I'm focussed on the young men who wear the green and take the floor to represent us. My opinion is that it would be to everyone's benefit to minimize the turmoil they experience.

How many games have you been to or watched this year?

I ask because I think some players are already giving up on this coach and this season.

Dismissing Benford doesn't hurt us at all. Every day we leave him there makes it worse.

1 hour ago, EagleMBA said:

I expect action in late March or early April re: interviews; if not, I'll be pissed.

If it takes that long I won't be back for MBB games, probably at least for the duration of WBs time here, possibly gone for good. If this AD/school doesn't care enough to have standards for a successful program, why should I care enough to pay to watch it?

• Upvote 4

57 minutes ago, EagleMBA said:

So  we should of let Dodge and McCarney just keep coaching? Pretty sure the football team played much better in both those situations and the "turmoil" wasn't too much for them

Edited by shootermcgavin44
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, EagleMBA said:

It would greatly benefit those young men to lift the Benford Albatross off their back. I'd be willing to bet they win an additional 6 games if Benford is fired immediately after La Tech.

Keeping Benford is what would be unfair to the players.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, Army of Dad said:

How many games have you been to or watched this year?

I ask because I think some players are already giving up on this coach and this season.

Dismissing Benford doesn't hurt us at all. Every day we leave him there makes it worse.

Zero...Zip...None...in over 4 years now. I was a regular through JJ's tenure and before. I'll be back when the AD does the right thing. But I follow the team via this site or radio on a real-time basis, when possible. I have had thoughts, like you, about player performance and the "Q" word...that would be a "Portland State moment".

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

It would greatly benefit those young men to lift the Benford Albatross off their back. I'd be willing to bet they win an additional 6 games if Benford is fired immediately after La Tech.

Keeping Benford is what would be unfair to the players.

I hear you. My opinion is that we're pretty much screwed whatever fork in the road we take. TheWren's short list probably has the names of Coaches "X", "Y" and "Z" on it, none of whom want to talk to him until their respective conference and/or tournament runs are over. I don't think our coaching bench is too deep after Benford and Evans; I would be surprised if Evans would stay if TB is dispatched. Just My Opinion.

Just now, EagleMBA said:

I hear you. My opinion is that we're pretty much screwed whatever fork in the road we take. TheWren's short list probably has the names of Coaches "X", "Y" and "Z" on it, none of whom want to talk to him until their respective conference and/or tournament runs are over. I don't think our coaching bench is too deep after Benford and Evans; I would be surprised if Evans would stay if TB is dispatched. Just My Opinion.

I get it, but you HAVE to do this for your players and your fans. Make the guy from UTSA interim coach. If Evans wants to fall on the sword, have at it. Don't let the door hit you on the way out. 

This team could do no worse by just rolling the ball out on the floor and playing street ball. Hell, they might be better.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

4 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

This team could do no worse by just rolling the ball out on the floor and playing street ball. Hell, they might be better.

Depending on the team's leadership hierarchy internally, you just might be right!

1 hour ago, EagleMBA said:

Don't believe for one second that most employed coaches are not always looking for something better.  No official or probably non-official talks to NT before the season ends, but that is what agents are for.   

I doubt anything happens but do you really think NT would want Evans?  He maybe a legendary coach but he sure hasn't demonstrated anything here.   I too doubt he would take an interim position if Benford were sacked, but honestly there are hundreds of coaches that wouldn't do any worse, even on an interim basis, than what is going on now.   

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Let go benford and any players that want to leave can leave.  We are not winning with them anyway and this team is going to require a total rebuild.  An assistant can finish out the year is not like we are going anywhere and I don't think benford will turn this team around take it to the NCAA.  

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1