Lack of change inside the AD

UNT90

I'm not a "blood for the blood god" type of guy.  I don't think anyone needs to be fired just because they performed poorly under the old leadership.  I've taken over a struggling department, where I was assured I would have to let go of X, Y and Z because they were terrible employees.   Most of them ended up being good employees.  

I also think @forevereagle is right when he talks about ramp up time.  Sure, YOU have been immersed in Mean Green athletics for a while, but The Wren™ didn't know us from a hole in the ground a few months ago.  He has a lot to catch up on.  

If, by the start of football season, we don't have a PUBLIC plan with milestones to set accountable goals, then I will be worried.   I especially want this to be addressed:

bgW7psj.jpg

You all know I have harped on that for a while.  MGC donations, especially the amount of small to mid sized donors need to be increased greatly.  There is a job posted for that position right now, so we'll see how the improvement goes.   

11 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

I'm not a "blood for the blood god" type of guy.  I don't think anyone needs to be fired just because they performed poorly under the old leadership.  I've taken over a struggling department, where I was assured I would have to let go of X, Y and Z because they were terrible employees.   Most of them ended up being good employees.  

I also think @forevereagle is right when he talks about ramp up time.  Sure, YOU have been immersed in Mean Green athletics for a while, but The Wren™ didn't know us from a whole in the ground a few months ago.  He has a lot to catch up on.  

If, by the start of football season, we don't have a PUBLIC plan with milestones to set accountable goals, then I will be worried.   I especially want this to be addressed:

bgW7psj.jpg

You all know I have harped on that for a while.  MGC donations, especially the amount of small to mid sized donors need to be increased greatly.  There is a job posted for that position right now, so we'll see how the improvement goes.   

Fair enough, as are Quoner's non-smart assed comments. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 9

48 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

I also think @forevereagle is right when he talks about ramp up time.  Sure, YOU have been immersed in Mean Green athletics for a while, but The Wren™ didn't know us from a whole in the ground a few months ago.  He has a lot to catch up on.  

bgW7psj.jpg

Has 90 applied for it yet?

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

12 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Has 90 applied for it yet?

Have you? I mean, you could have us in FCS in no time flat. ?

4 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

The distance from the AD's office to Benford's is apparently 5 years.

And approximately $1,520,000...

Oh, and did you know Benford actually GOT A RAISE this past year? Yep, written into the original contract. 

http://www.dentonrc.com/sports/colleges/north-texas-headlines/20121204-mens-basketball-unt-reveals-benford-contract.ece

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 8

1 hour ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

In the early years of the 16th century, to combat the rising tide of religious unorthodoxy, the Pope gave Cardinal Ximinez of Spain leave to move without let or hindrance throughout the land, in a reign of violence, terror and torture that makes a smashing film. This was the Spanish Inquisition.

I wasn't expecting that ... 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I would be surprised if fan message boards ever lost or gained a recruit.  If anything this one is mild compared to most.

It is way to early to judge Baker based on the time he has spent here and the mess he inherited. 

However, the  things, we know he has done is spend a lot of money on another tier of management in the AD, let the MBB program fester, and has not terminated anyone of note.   Basically all we have on the positive side is he is not RV and chrome helmets. 

Baker if not the top is close to the highest paid AD in CUSA.  He has upped the anti by hiring a lot of relatively expensive people.  It will take time to see if things substantially improve, but if they don't than NT has a major problem.  

I really think and hope that he is just in evaluation mode and there will be some positive developments soon.  Despite most really liking his hire, Baker has never held a job close to as complicated and challenging as this one.   It probably a good thing that he is being careful until his development plan is finalized and he really understands in depth the NT athletic situation.   

• Upvote 5

4 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Have you? I mean, you could have us in FCS in no time flat. ?

And approximately $1,520,000...

Oh, and did you know Benford actually GOT A RAISE this past year? Yep, written into the original contract. 

http://www.dentonrc.com/sports/colleges/north-texas-headlines/20121204-mens-basketball-unt-reveals-benford-contract.ece

Why would I apply?  I'm not the one complaining that the administrative folks aren't doing their jobs. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

22 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Look and laugh:

$5,000 bonus if UNT wins 20 games

$10,000 if the Mean Green wins 25 games.

$10,000 bonus in his contract if he is named Coach of the Year

$10,000 bonus written into the deal if UNT wins a regular-season conference title and a $25,000 bonus if UNT wins a postseason conference tournament

$10,000 bonus if UNT sells 3,000 season tickets and $10,000 for each additional 1,000 tickets.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, NorthTexan95 said:

I wasn't expecting that ... 

2 hours ago, Army of Dad said:

Nobody does 

Fortunately I have a t-shirt in case something like that happens.....

. Image result for No one expects the spanish inquisition!

OR, maybe some of you (UNT90 perhaps?) think that something a bit more extreme is called for.......

Image result for No one expects the spanish inquisition!

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

You eat an elephant a bite at a time. So far,FROM THE OUTSIDE LOOKING IN, Wren has added management to what appears to be an already bloated department. I can only assume that he is getting his people in place, getting his arms around his department, and will make changes accordingly. Regarding Benford, he will be replaced at end of his contract. If memory serves, there is a lot of coaching movement during the Final Four. I think we might want to cool our jets and see how events play out in the 1st Quarter. I would hope that all the Athletic Department's energy is focused on National Sighing Day, and the last thing we need at this time is any upheaval . Just an old man's opinion.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

37 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Let's do pitchforks and torches this year.  If things haven't changed by next season, then the flying banner. 

Is this you?

56543310.jpg

Edited by Stix

1 hour ago, Army of Dad said:

Look and laugh:

$10,000 bonus written into the deal if UNT wins a regular-season conference title and a $25,000 bonus if UNT wins a postseason conference tournament

$10,000 bonus if UNT sells 3,000 season tickets and $10,000 for each additional 1,000 tickets.

I guess we get the last laugh

APcFiiTrG0x2.gif

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Army of Dad said:

Look and laugh:

Gotta save money somehow.

3 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

There's the old saying about the old bull and the young bull standing on a hill looking over a pasture of cows.  The young, inexperienced one is all excited and says, "Let's run down there and "have our way" with a cow."  The old one looks over, corrects the young bull and says, "Let's walk down there and have our way with all of them." 

This board needs more cow sex talk.

• Upvote 6

4 hours ago, GTWT said:

Bingo!

Maybe the bad stuff doesn't have any effect on a recruit or his parents, but maybe it does.  Isn't the smart thing to not take that chance?

Is it too much to ask that we hold the negativity down at least until after signing day?

Unless of course the posters are really just trolls from other schools.

Image result for inception meme

2 hours ago, wardly said:

You eat an elephant a bite at a time. So far,FROM THE OUTSIDE LOOKING IN, Wren has added management to what appears to be an already bloated department. I can only assume that he is getting his people in place, getting his arms around his department, and will make changes accordingly. Regarding Benford, he will be replaced at end of his contract. If memory serves, there is a lot of coaching movement during the Final Four. I think we might want to cool our jets and see how events play out in the 1st Quarter. I would hope that all the Athletic Department's energy is focused on National Sighing Day, and the last thing we need at this time is any upheaval . Just an old man's opinion.

Make that TWO old men.

Typo alert! It is Signing Day giphy.gif not Sighing Day.200.gif#9

1 hour ago, Green Jackal said:

This board needs more cow sex talk.

Or skunk sex:

This basketball season is like making love to a skunk...I've had all I can enjoy!