recruiting rankings

wardly

On 1/17/2017 at 0:16 AM, PlummMeanGreen said:

UNT's struggles?  Oh, like a school that has no D1 venues on its campus but rather plenty of commuters who need UBER to get to your games is CUSA's new standard bearer?  I think not.  

Did you see all those people wearing green at the HOD Bowl game on that  ESPN televised game a few weeks ago?  Pretty dismal situation you say?  (For you I'm sure it was disheartening--but more amazing is how only "2 years earlier" there were even more fans in the Cotton Bowl wearing green in a Mean Green bowl win).   

The biggest problem we always see with these bowl turnouts and NCAA tournament turnouts for our teams is that these crowds are full of people who couldn't locate Appgee or the Super Pit ok campus but show up when we are in one of these big games. With the very rare exception of playing a name program in Denton over the years, our attendance never includes these extra fans. Don't understand why, but it's the reality of our disconnect with our alumni, students, and local citizenry.

11 hours ago, correcamino said:

I'm talking about the general scene of Denton. Personally, I've only been there once and it was really just for a UTSA/UNT game but the general vibe I get from the place is that it likes to be out there. I've seen the "Keep Denton Beard" slogan. I really don't think kids who were star athletes in HS click with that scene. Again, just my opinion.

Well that much is apparent. You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.  Denton is a city of 130k. There are all types there. I understand that the nightlife, culture, art, and music blow San Antonio out of the water (and yes, I've been there more than once), but there are just as many cowpoke types, athletic types, and any other types at UNT and in Denton.

23 hours ago, correcamino said:

Your apathetic alumni has shown that it comes out for bowl game in Dallas. Unfortunately, they've also shown that they won't do the same for regular season games in Denton. Regardless, not sure what any of that has to do with UNT's recruiting struggles. 

I'm talking about the general scene of Denton. Personally, I've only been there once and it was really just for a UTSA/UNT game but the general vibe I get from the place is that it likes to be out there. I've seen the "Keep Denton Beard" slogan. I really don't think kids who were star athletes in HS click with that scene. Again, just my opinion.

Littrell is young and energetic. On paper, he should be a great recruiter that kids can relate to. Not even trolling, I honestly think he is at a disadvantage because of the scene/vibe of UNT/Denton. I think his recruiting would be considerably better if he was at UTSA or Texas State. I'm not even trying to crap on Denton...if you're an artsy or music kind of person you probably love it there. I just don't think that athletes are typically artsy or music kind of people. 

1st Paragraph: Our alumni come out when we win.  How are your crowds now that KFC has stopped giving away free chicken?  I have honestly never met an UTSA alum.  Do they exist?

2nd: You've been to Denton once, spent a couple of hours at a game and came up with that?  You're brilliant.

3rd: Again, clueless.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

20 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

The biggest problem we always see with these bowl turnouts and NCAA tournament turnouts for our teams is that these crowds are full of people who couldn't locate Appgee or the Super Pit ok campus but show up when we are in one of these big games. With the very rare exception of playing a name program in Denton over the years, our attendance never includes these extra fans. Don't understand why, but it's the reality of our disconnect with our alumni, students, and local citizenry.

I am a simple man who lives a simple life & sometimes comes up with what could be construed as simple answers & one such to getting all our Dallas bowl fans to Denton will be when the new 16 lane Super35 Interstate from Big D to Denton  is finished.  The drive time to Apogee Stadium will be shortened considerably.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

On 1/20/2017 at 1:50 AM, UNT90 said:

SA is a Craphole of a town. UTSA is a Craphole of a campus. Your team plays in a Craphole of a stadium. If a coach can recruit to that Craphole of a situation, a coach should be able to slay it at UNT.

Im not artsy. I could give a crap about jazz or the UNT music scene. I went to UNT when Denton was MUCH smaller and had a grand ole time.

What you are showing is your own ignorance. Denton has 113,000 residents inside the city limits and the county had a population of 662,614 in the 2010 census.  Are they all artsy fartsy types? Are you really that prejudiced? 

Maybe you like living in a town where the biggest attraction is a s-hole of a creek running through downtown that smells like human excrement half the year. Maybe you think THAT is what draws recruits. It doesn't.

What draws recruits is hard work, relationships, and salesmanship. It looks like you lucked into a coach that is really good at those things. If he can coach at all and keeps recruiting like he has, your Craphole of a school will win a conference championship long before UNT.

In any business or organization, the biggest thing that matters are the people in that organization. By a mile. UNT has had some crappy people in positions of power for a very long time that had an extremely adverse effect in this program. Overcoming the perceptions these people have left in their wake is way more of a factor than the City of Denton. 

Now, go build a football stadium or a weight room.

It's a shame recruits don't agree with your assessment of UTSA and San Antonio. 

I'm just saying, two coaching staffs since joining CUSA and the results are the same on the recruiting trail. At some point you have to start looking inward instead of blaming it on someone like Litrell, who again on paper looks like a solid recruiter. Although tbf, I understand that it is a difficult thing to accept.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6

1 hour ago, correcamino said:

It's a shame recruits don't agree with your assessment of UTSA and San Antonio. 

I'm just saying, two coaching staffs since joining CUSA and the results are the same on the recruiting trail. At some point you have to start looking inward instead of blaming it on someone like Litrell, who again on paper looks like a solid recruiter. Although tbf, I understand that it is a difficult thing to accept.

It has nothing to do wth SA, it has to do with your new staff being great recruiters. Personal relationships are about 1 million times more important in recruiting than what city a school is located in, whether it be a S hole like SA or a liberal arts Mecca (according to you) like Denton. 

That was my point. 

You weren't out-recruiting us with Coker. That's why he "resigned." It appears you made a better hire AT THIS POINT IN TIME. Enjoy.

Because you still live in a Craphole and attended a Craphole university.

• Upvote 6

On 1/21/2017 at 0:18 PM, UNT90 said:

It has nothing to do wth SA, it has to do with your new staff being great recruiters. Personal relationships are about 1 million times more important in recruiting than what city a school is located in, whether it be a S hole like SA or a liberal arts Mecca (according to you) like Denton. 

That was my point. 

You weren't out-recruiting us with Coker. That's why he "resigned." It appears you made a better hire AT THIS POINT IN TIME. Enjoy.

Because you still live in a Craphole and attended a Craphole university.

UTSA was absolutely outrecruiting UNT under Coker. We weren't at the top of conference recruiting rankings like we are with Wilson, but hauling better recruiting classes than UNT isn't a novelty. Neither is recruits with offers from both schools picking UTSA over UNT. Ask BillySee.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

1 hour ago, correcamino said:

UTSA was absolutely outrecruiting UNT under Coker. We weren't at the top of conference recruiting rankings like we are with Wilson, but hauling better recruiting classes than UNT isn't a novelty. Neither is recruits with offers from both schools picking UTSA over UNT. Ask BillySee.

Uhm... The only year you beat us in recruiting before now was 2013. You finished below is in the rankings literally every other year. 

• Upvote 1

On 1/22/2017 at 4:20 PM, correcamino said:

Alternative facts.

Also, no recruit is going to pick living in suburban San Antonio over Denton unless they're from SA, be real. UTSA is outrecruiting us because maybe Frank wilson is a great recruiter?

Edited by Ryan Munthe
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

I'll answer your post here from that recruit's thread here, @MEEN2018:

Why should UTSA be winning all these battles? Citing exceptions is fun, until you realize they are exceptions. 

Right now this staff is getting its ass tanned by a UTSA staff that was hired at the same time and had similar success the past year as UNT.

Put your trust in Littrell if you must. I also remember the "trust RV" posts. Me? I'll trust the evidence, which says this class ranks right up there with DMac's worst classes. 

I expected much much more.

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 2