Rice 1/14/17

Harry

2 hours ago, greenminer said:

I don't think you've noticed: he likes to tell people either how right he is or how wrong they are.

its not gonna stop.

It's tough being constantly right. Sometimes I hope I'm wrong so people on here can have some joy in it, but then I just end up being right.

It's a hard life being me...

4 hours ago, GRN-WHT said:

We're in this position because our top donors didn't want to do what most of us wanted to do after year one of this mess. Was it simply poor basketball judgment or trying to hold on to the last pieces of RV's failed regime, I don't know.

In my opinion, I'm not sure that our top donors don't need a reminder every now and then of the sad state our basketball program and the athletic department as a whole was left in by the men they intensely supported long after most other fans were calling for their heads. 

And there are some (definitely not all) who still think RV got shafted. Pretty amazing.

4 hours ago, Travis said:

I believe we can and do influence decisions with staff. 

It all depends on how vocal we are outside this board. Hell, some can't even bring themselves to be vocal on this board.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 11

What big donors want Benford to stay?  I have heard Ernie, but nothing definitive and backed up with facts.  Either post the facts to back up your claims that Benford and Ernie and tight like Burt and Ernie, or quite speculating.

I stopped following the team basically last year.  I just don't care anymore, but I am tired of those who act like an uprising by the GMG faithful will be the final straw.  We don't carry that much weight.  I don't care how many banners you drag through the skies of Denton, TX.

My take on Benford is what makes him a good recruiter is the same thing that fails him as a coach.  He is too easy on  his players.  Recruiters go out and make friends with their players, they build relationships and make promises.  They don't have to tell the kids no, they tell them what they want to hear.  We need a staff person with that personality and a coach that will push, prod, piss off and drive the players to succeed.  Most players that play for good programs don't like their coach at the time he is coaching them, but they look back and realize he/she pushed them to achieve far greater than they ever imagined.  We need that kind of head coach. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

16 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

What big donors want Benford to stay?  I have heard Ernie, but nothing definitive and backed up with facts.  Either post the facts to back up your claims that Benford and Ernie and tight like Burt and Ernie, or quite speculating.

I stopped following the team basically last year.  I just don't care anymore, but I am tired of those who act like an uprising by the GMG faithful will be the final straw.  We don't carry that much weight.  I don't care how many banners you drag through the skies of Denton, TX.

My take on Benford is what makes him a good recruiter is the same thing that fails him as a coach.  He is too easy on  his players.  Recruiters go out and make friends with their players, they build relationships and make promises.  They don't have to tell the kids no, they tell them what they want to hear.  We need a staff person with that personality and a coach that will push, prod, piss off and drive the players to succeed.  Most players that play for good programs don't like their coach at the time he is coaching them, but they look back and realize he/she pushed them to achieve far greater than they ever imagined.  We need that kind of head coach. 

We carry far more weight than you know. No one is talking about big donors wanting Benford to stay. They are all off the Benford train and he will be gone at seasons end, if not before.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 5

6 minutes ago, GreenMachine said:

Or he could have whined and cried on a message board, that always provides wanted results. 

I've done much more than cry on a message board.

What have you done? Never mind, I know the answer. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 7

3 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

I've done much more than cry on a message board.

What have you done? Never mind, I know the answer. 

I have a life. I go to my boys ball games, I am active in church, I volunteer for several organizations, I am happy and successful in my career, I occasionally help with Scouting activities, I exercise fairly regularly, and I enjoy playing the piano. It's called having a well balanced life, you should really try it, I guarantee you would be much happier.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 8

Just now, GreenMachine said:

I have a life. I go to my boys ball games, I am active in church, I volunteer for several organizations, I am happy and successful in my career, I occasionally help with Scouting activities, I exercise fairly regularly, and I enjoy playing the piano. It's called having a well balanced life, you should really try it, I guarantee you would be much happier.

Well, good for you. Since you know zero about my life (and that will continue), you are clearly, again, talking out your backside.

I wonder what your preacher would say about your name calling and constant stalking of me on an Internet message board? Love to be a fly on the wall for that convo.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 10

Just now, GreenMachine said:

No anger with me. I suggest you getting a life outside this board. 28k posts is very unhealthy, probably bordering on the edge of obsessed.

Like you are obsessed with me? Lol. 

I think your obsession is far worse than mine.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 7

29 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

If the stories about them believing that we were just a cancerous player leaving the program away (every single year) from turning the corner are true, then YES, it was simply poor basketball judgment.  

Assuming those stories are true, the really scary thing here is that our top basketball donors apparently don't know what fundamental basketball even looks like---or rather, in our case, what is a crystal clear example of a confused team.  It was obvious in game 1 of this era, and it's still obvious today.

The worst part is that we at UNT are always fighting the stigma that we really aren't here to win, that we do just enough to stay Division 1 FBS.  It impacts every sport we sponsor.  THIS situation more than anything else we've done in the past 20 years just hammers that home.  We were building a legitimate mid-major power exactly at the right time --when mid-major teams were shaking up the NCAA tourney every year and getting more and more notoriety.  Fast forward five years and we are the worst team in our conference and have completely wiped out any of the momentum we had.  The only people left paying attention are our diehards, who blindly believe that we're going to someday stop being a sleeping giant and wake up.  Any casual fans we had around have long since stopped paying attention....so the ones we're harming now are the ones whose backs you have to stand on to grow this thing.  Why are you(UNT) actively trying to drive those people (me) away?!

Really, that rant is too late.  Because this is the end of the Benny era.  Nice guy.  Good recruiter.  But dang it his era made me want to give up supporting UNT altogether.  Even more than Dodge.  Not because of him, I am grateful for anyone who willingly joins the UNT family---paid or not, but because UNT refused to step in and fix this when we still had a chance to salvage what we had back in 2011.

Solid post that I think captures the frustration of every remaining UNT basketball fan. 

Please put that in an email and send it to Wren Baker.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

I just want to know why there wasn't all this outrage when Charlotte (then 7-5 1-0), who isn't as good as Rice, did it to North Texas on 12/31.

Also, I think we'll be lucky if Marshall doesn't hang a 100 on us as well for the final game of the season. They have the top scoring offense in CUSA at 87.5 point per game and scored 100+ three times this season already (Toledo, Pittsburgh, and Charlotte).

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, UNTFan23 said:

I just want to know why there wasn't all this outrage when Charlotte (then 7-5 1-0), who isn't as good as Rice, did it to North Texas on 12/31.

Also, I think we'll be lucky if Marshall doesn't hang a 100 on us as well for the final game of the season. They have the top scoring offense in CUSA at 87.5 point per game and scored 100+ three times this season already (Toledo, Pittsburgh, and Charlotte).

Perhaps you didn't notice, but that 100 point loss was the first conference game. It didn't make UNT 0-5 in conference play. 

Cant blame you for not noticing. Very very few people notice UNT basketball these days.

But seriously, pointing out ANOTHER 100 point loss really doesn't help prove your point. At all. Whatever that point is.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 7

57 minutes ago, untbowler said:

Why does Benford still have a job? If he finishes the season, then UNT BBall will be in even worst shape, especially with regards to fans.

How much MORE damage to the fanbase could be done in the next +/- 7 weeks? For practical reasons, I think we're stuck with TB for that period so I'm going to hide and watch.

• Downvote 3

23 hours ago, TIgreen01 said:

If the stories about them believing that we were just a cancerous player leaving the program away (every single year) from turning the corner are true, then YES, it was simply poor basketball judgment.  

Assuming those stories are true, the really scary thing here is that our top basketball donors apparently don't know what fundamental basketball even looks like---or rather, in our case, what is a crystal clear example of a confused team.  It was obvious in game 1 of this era, and it's still obvious today.

The worst part is that we at UNT are always fighting the stigma that we really aren't here to win, that we do just enough to stay Division 1 FBS.  It impacts every sport we sponsor.  THIS situation more than anything else we've done in the past 20 years just hammers that home.  We were building a legitimate mid-major power exactly at the right time --when mid-major teams were shaking up the NCAA tourney every year and getting more and more notoriety.  Fast forward five years and we are the worst team in our conference and have completely wiped out any of the momentum we had.  The only people left paying attention are our diehards, who blindly believe that we're going to someday stop being a sleeping giant and wake up.  Any casual fans we had around have long since stopped paying attention....so the ones we're harming now are the ones whose backs you have to stand on to grow this thing.  Why are you(UNT) actively trying to drive those people (me) away?!

Really, that rant is too late.  Because this is the end of the Benny era.  Nice guy.  Good recruiter.  But dang it his era made me want to give up supporting UNT altogether.  Even more than Dodge.  Not because of him, I am grateful for anyone who willingly joins the UNT family---paid or not, but because UNT refused to step in and fix this when we still had a chance to salvage what we had back in 2011.

Very good post.

For too long, the reality was that we were a program at the Division 1 FBS level for one reason--to get more money from being a whored out victim to the Power Leagues. RV really didn't fix it much, but it was better than before he got here. The biggest problem we have had was that we wouldn't buyout bad contracts. Finally, though, in 2015, we bought out the terrible contract for Petersen and the terrible extension McCarney got, all because of RV. And then, in 2016, the university bought out RV as the AD, which is why we have to endure Bumford. But if Bumford confirming to the leaders and big donors here that he sucks as a coach and cannot turn this around, no matter how dumbed down we make a schedule for him, then it was TOTALLY worth it to get rid of RV. His laziness, lack of vision, and inability to find a winner in revenue sports will forever be his legacy here to all of us who weren't in the UNT 17. That those 17 donors bought everything that RV told them for so long still remains one of life's great mysteries. Eventually, though, reality prevailed--it was just waaayyy past when we could have salvaged the basketball program being a mid-major team that was becoming someone relevant on the national scene. We moved quickly enough on McCarney to keep us from completely dying off in football, but basketball was the unlucky victim to poor hires and leadership. The only silver lining now is that it doesn't have to take years to build a winner in hoops. A new coach, with the right mindset, could turn this thing into a .500 team very quickly and then go from there. Jankovich did it when he was here, as did Johnny Jones. It could happen here, too, but it will take Wren finding the right guy. Until he proves otherwise, we have to believe Baker will do just that.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

28 minutes ago, EagleMBA said:

How much MORE damage to the fanbase could be done in the next +/- 7 weeks? For practical reasons, I think we're stuck with TB for that period so I'm going to hide and watch.

I'm not sure I can take much more. We've kept our season tickets all this time, but I have to say the longer this plays out the lower the chances I want to renew next year. 

The fatigue from all the incompetence and losing is getting to me and I don't know how much excitement could even be generated from a new AD and MBB coach to overcome that...

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

I'm not sure I can take much more. We've kept our season tickets all this time, but I have to say the longer this plays out the lower the chances I want to renew next year. 

The fatigue from all the incompetence and losing is getting to me and I don't know how much excitement could even be generated from a new AD and MBB coach to overcome that...

My advice is to breathe deeply, sip a cold Shiner, and think pleasant thoughts...this shall pass. My doctor was on my ass about my blood pressure until I took that advice to heart.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, EagleMBA said:

The answer is A LOT.

If UNT does not have the commitment to ever fix the problem, why should anyone have a commitment to UNT basketball? 

I know I won't. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

1 hour ago, EagleMBA said:

My advice is to breathe deeply, sip a cold Shiner, and think pleasant thoughts...this shall pass. My doctor was on my ass about my blood pressure until I took that advice to heart.

Solid advice, though I'm sure @ArmyOfMom would be the first to tell you that I'm not well suited to that. 

A major factor to renewing this year was as a vote of confidence in WB. If he fails to publicly act before the season is over I don't know that I'll be back next season. Too much damage done already and then no public attempt to prove he's not more of the same. 

I know some of you think that's a crappy position, but damn few have sat through almost every home game of Benford's tenure as I have. It's painfully obvious Benford doesn't have 'it' and never will. Pull the damn plug already. 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1