Rice 1/14/17

Harry

We are used to poor coaching by Benford, but I think rushing players to the court after injuries maybe his worse action.   

Combs is a shadow of himself and Frazier and Johnson have neither been positive factors.  

I never understand the coach logic of resting your hot players.  Both Tamara and Reese were terrific when given extended minutes in the first half because of foul trouble of three NT players.   Although he started Tamara the second half, he was pulled quickly and Reese, currently NT's best player, was setting on the bench when Rice started to pull away.  

Benford is not near as bad as he used to be about changing lineups but sometimes I think he plans minutes before the game and does his best to manage to that plan despite what is occurring in the game.   

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Green P1 said:

Great game!

At this point, any loss that gets us one day closer to UNT being forced, kicking and screaming, apparently, to get rid of Benford is a good loss. 

Makes one wonder if Benny has naked pictures of Smatresk...

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 7
  • Downvote 5

1 hour ago, UNT90 said:

I recall conversations with fans who genuinely believed this was the turnaround year. It clearly isn't, and was never going to be. 

It is past time for this to end. Way past time. 

No need to kick the fans who tried to look at glass half full.   hindsight is 20/20.  I think all of us realize it didn't work out and don't need you reminding us.  The time is to come together not point fingers at one another.  We all want the same outcome.

5 minutes ago, Harry said:

No need to kick the fans who tried to look at glass half full.   hindsight is 20/20.  I think all of us realize it didn't work out and don't need you reminding us.  The time is to come together not point fingers at one another.  We all want the same outcome.

Part of the reason we are where we are is because of fans that believe the bulsh fed to them when every piece of tangible information suggests that it's bulsh. 

I guess we could ignore it and keep the UNT tradition of repeating the same mistakes indefinitely while somehow expecting a different outcome.

I mean, it is the strongest tradition this program currently has, so I understand the attachment. ?

My post wasn't aimed at anyone specifically, as multiple people presented this argument, which just caused me to shake my head at the denial wrapped around Benford and this program. 

Fix the damn problem and remember the mistake so you don't repeat it.

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 9

I will still show up to all the games but if people who are local are so reluctant to show up I recommend going out and watching the Guyer team play. Harmon and Wilson are legit stars who UNT would be lucky to land (they have greater aspirations), but still a very fun team to watch! They are also a young group so the future is bright. 

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 6

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Every team starts their season undefeated. Nothing wrong with starting a season with high expectations and some hope things will be different.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

7 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

Wasn't it you who said we needed to have high expectations? 

Yes, which means instead of hoping everything would be ok you should have been demanding a change.

Did you? 

Have you? Ever?

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 7

31 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Yes, which means instead of hoping everything would be ok you should have been demanding a change.

Did you? 

Have you? Ever?

I thought Benford needed to go a while ago. Still, I want to see the team win more games than it loses regardless of who the coach is or how bad he/she might be.

Given I have absolutely no control over his exit, as does everyone else on this message board, I'm realistic that he's likely here to about the end of the season.

Edited by UNTFan23
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 5

4 hours ago, Harry said:

Those who actively supported Benford after four (FOUR!?) season of awful basket basketball. The first ever loss in school history to a D2 school and two 20 loss seasons. 

They willfully deluded themselves and set themselves up for the scorn and derision and after the kicking the fire Benford crowd has taken over the last four years turnabout is fair play. 

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

20 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

I thought Benford needed to go a while ago. Still, I want to see the team win more games than it loses regardless of who the coach is or how bad he/she might be.

Given I have absolutely no control over his exit, as does everyone else on this message board, I'm realistic that he's likely here to about the end of the season.

So the answer is you did nothing.

Got it.

And you wonder why he has been allowed to lose for 5 years.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 11

6 hours ago, Harry said:

We're in this position because our top donors didn't want to do what most of us wanted to do after year one of this mess. Was it simply poor basketball judgment or trying to hold on to the last pieces of RV's failed regime, I don't know.

In my opinion, I'm not sure that our top donors don't need a reminder every now and then of the sad state our basketball program and the athletic department as a whole was left in by the men they intensely supported long after most other fans were calling for their heads. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3