MGB: Source confirms Biagi is UNT's new assistant

Brett Vito

14 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Did you read what he accomplished recruiting for Petrino as a GA?

http://www.razorbloggers.net/2009/06/who-is-marty-biagi/

No I had not seen this. That sure is a sign in the right direction, but it does not totally calm my nerves, seeing as recruiting as a GA probably has some restrictions where I guess you can hardly be the lead man. But all the same its a positive sign. Then again, without investigating their numbers of stars and later production, none of the mentioned recruits have me recognise their names to the point where I am sure they were game changers for Arkansas. But maybe someone can do the research and elucidate me: Are there standout recruits the sites(scout, 247 etc) have attributed to Biagi and did any of the mentioned players make all conference SEC or similar.

5 hours ago, UNT Mean Green said:

Based on what?

Based on the fact that UNT is currently 9th in C-USA on 247, which incidentally is where UNT ended up last season (and that was before several of the best recruits ended up never playing in Denton). Its not horrible but it is also far from impressive, and definitely way behind what UTSA is showing could be possible.

Add to that the fact that SBnations number guru Bill Conelly has shown that recruiting on average does not get better after the first two seasons (can't find the link right now).

Now SL just let go a guy whose unit not only had a good season, but more importantly who was among the most proven recruiters on the staff instead of someone who did not produce last season in recruiting. I am not saying it can't all end well, but I am worried. Maybe SL knows something about Biagi that is hard to see from where I sit, and just because he is not proven, doesn't mean he can't be an awesome recruiter. There may be some indications, but I don't quite see the proof of Biagi being a good recruiter and I don't assume the best just because I lack information. As a general rule in life, I assume a lack of information is tendentialy a bad sign, because people rarely hesitate to put out positive info, but they do tend to hesitate to give info about the bad stuff in their life.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

6 minutes ago, outoftown said:

No I had not seen this. That sure is a sign in the right direction, but it does not totally calm my nerves, seeing as recruiting as a GA probably has some restrictions where I guess you can hardly be the lead man. But all the same its a positive sign. Then again, without investigating their numbers of stars and later production, none of the mentioned recruits have me recognise their names to the point where I am sure they were game changers for Arkansas. But maybe someone can do the research and elucidate me: Are there standout recruits the sites(scout, 247 etc) have attributed to Biagi and did any of the mentioned players make all conference SEC or similar.

Did you see this:

"However, according to Richard Davenport, who covers Arkansas recruiting for WholeDogSports.com, Biagi wasn’t just your typical graduate assistant. Davenport shared his thoughts about Biagi the coach and recruiter.

“As a graduate assistant, one thing head coach Petrino did was put a lot of responsibilities on their GA’s,” said Davenport. “It was Marty and [current Notre Dame offensive coordinator] Chip Long. Marty got a kid from North Carolina named Chris Smith, a defensive end who is now with the Jacksonville Jaguars. Arkansas rarely, if ever recruits North Carolina. That was a big get. He had a lot of offers. For a guy to get Chris and his family to visit that summer and then for an official visit during the season and then sign him, that’s big. Marty was also able to get a receiver from Virginia, Quinta Funderburk, another four-star recruit. He was the lead recruiter on both of those guys. That in itself is quite impressive.

“I remember the kids really liking Marty. He related well to him. He was younger and is still a young guy. They really enjoyed the way he recruited and related to them. The guys on the team enjoyed being coached by him."

From this article:

http://notredame.247sports.com/Article/Marty-Biagi-leaves-Notre-Dame-new-UNT-special-teams-coordinator-50499266

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

People are worried because Biagi doesn't have a 24/7 profile and a list of recruits he has landed. If they thought at Arkansas that he could be a HC in 10-15 years that is great and should give us confidence. It's very hard to get a HC gig let alone people think that about you after you leave. Even if he wasn't the lead guy for these recruits(The WR from VA, DE from NC) it's should give us confidence that he is an active recruiter even when/if he is limited to being on campus or out on the road. 

Yes Perry was a proven coach as a ST-coord and proven as a recruiter. But we still have been a middle tier/lower tier ST school(look at the rankings.) As we have said coaches that aren't in P5 like to shuffle around to try and break though. We don't know Perry was forced out or if it was him or even if was mutual. SL has earned our confidence when it comes to hires  with how this staff has taken shape. We can be worried about us out in East Texas, but I'm sure SL and the staff have a plan for losing Perry. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, All About UNT said:

It's settled.  Biagi's family hails from the Naples region

https://www.houseofnames.com/biagi-family-crest

I'm not so sure about Naples.  He's got to be Sicilian.

Where do you think the term "coffin corner" came from?  I rest my case.

Edited by DeepGreen
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

I'm not so sure about Naples.  He's got to be Sicilian.

Where do you think the term "coffin corner" came from?  I rest my case.

Highly underrated post, sir!

• Upvote 1