Pro [community] College Football

Aldo

h/t Football Scoop

A new professional football league is being aimed at luring college-aged players

A new football league plans to launch next year that aims to become a viable alternative to college football.

According to a report from the Washington Post, Pacific Pro Football will be a 4-team league that is restricted to players less than four years removed from high school — read: college kids — that will pay its players an average of $50,000 in salary and pay for tuition and books at a local community college. The teams will be centered in southern California, and the league expects to kick off in 2018 with a 6- or 8-game season running in July and August

1 minute ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

But they're going to need some serious bankrolling to get started.

non profits make some serious money (i don't actually know if it will be a non-profit like the formerly-non-profit NFL).

But it's a good question. How in the world are they going to get off the ground? Investors?

4 hours ago, Got5onIt said:

I bet they have investors lined up around a city block willing to jump into this. Football makes money at all levels. 

A pretty high percentage of pro/semipro leagues that have come along through the years have folded after a pretty short time.  That, in all likelihood, will be the fate of this league if it ever even gets off the ground.

• Upvote 1

Sounds like a good idea to me from the pros standpoint.   A way to develop players that really are not college material, which by the way means they will be in competition with a lot of college teams.  Guys that can't pass the minimal NCAA standards that are now funneled into jucos will be prime targets.

The teams would operate just like the major league baseball minor leagues do.  They expect to lose money but hope to develop pro level football players.   

I doubt pro football wants to do anything to hamper their current free farm system they enjoy currently with the colleges.    However, there will be a chance this could in time turn into a direct competition for football players much like occurs in baseball.   I really doubt there will be any requirement as discussed for community college attendance.  This could turn into an attractive proposal for the best recruits who want no part of college and believe this could more quickly get them into the pros.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Cerebus said:

Serious downside for players is that they would lose their amateur status and be ineligible to play CFB.  

Under the NCAA definitely couldn't transfer. They're still getting a college education. Wonder if they could actually play any NCAA teams if they're getting paid.

And what kind of players would that bring in? Pro-level athletes that want to get a head start, or guys that just can't crack an FBS roster?

1 hour ago, oldguystudent said:

Also, $50,000 is probably a pay cut for some of them.  Zing! 

I know you're joking, but I think a league like this hits the little guys (us) and middle busters (lower end P5 without endless donor bases) before it ever hits the serious power schools for exactly this reason.  The really big schools will still be able to compete on the pay scale, unless the threat of open competition would lead to more leaks about what really goes on in the underbelly of college athletics.

12 hours ago, greenminer said:

Thought crossed my mind that we would see elite level players do this, and the college football game as we know it would become very watered down.

Plot twist: the G5s become more competitive with the P5 elites.

People go to college games because of that particular University, not to watch certain players. I don't see this being successful at all.

• Upvote 1

I don't think this is going to happen.  And if it does I can't imagine it being successful long-term.  That's a shame though because not all athletes should be going to college.  A kid should go to college to get an education - playing a sport should be secondary.

This will fail absolutely.  This will not attract quality players, only those whose parent/uncle/agent tell them they can make money now in prep. for the NFL.  Players will get hurt and not make the NFL because they will not have the facilities, coaches, training staff in place to assure these players are getting the training they need.  No insurance company will touch them.  This might attract a few marginally talented players at first, but as soon as one gets hurt, or there are no FA signings in the NFL, the only players who will attempt this as their kick starter to greatness will be players who will never make it anyway....  Can you say USFL?  NFL Europe was sponsored by the NFL and failed!!!

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

This will fail absolutely.  This will not attract quality players, only those whose parent/uncle/agent tell them they can make money now in prep. for the NFL.  Players will get hurt and not make the NFL because they will not have the facilities, coaches, training staff in place to assure these players are getting the training they need.  No insurance company will touch them.  This might attract a few marginally talented players at first

Those are some leaps. Can you elaborate on why you think this? Why wouldn't they have facilities in place? Why would insurance companies stay away?

2 hours ago, Aldo said:

Those are some leaps. Can you elaborate on why you think this? Why wouldn't they have facilities in place? Why would insurance companies stay away?

How many players have come from Semi-Pro to the NFL?  NFL Europe was supposed to be a developmental league....failed.  Who is going to build such a facility?  That is extremely cost prohibitive.  it took UNT forever to get the funding for facilities.  Think about the liability for insurance companies?  The rates would be outrageous.  This is violent.  I am a SCUBA diver, and will not tell my insurance company that or they will drop me.  The teams would have to supply insurance, OR keep the kid on parents policy until 26....  Besides, if it is viable, I believe the NFL would have sponsored this years ago...

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

How many players have come from Semi-Pro to the NFL?  NFL Europe was supposed to be a developmental league....failed.  Who is going to build such a facility?  That is extremely cost prohibitive.  it took UNT forever to get the funding for facilities.  Think about the liability for insurance companies?  The rates would be outrageous.  This is violent.  I am a SCUBA diver, and will not tell my insurance company that or they will drop me.  The teams would have to supply insurance, OR keep the kid on parents policy until 26....  Besides, if it is viable, I believe the NFL would have sponsored this years ago...

Why do you think the pros can't afford insurance when ever college does?  What facilities, their facility cost would be a fraction of what colleges are now doing to attract players.  What is the difference in this and what Major League baseball does?  

I think this is an iffy venture because the NCAA may oppose it and I doubt the NFL wants to face their ire when they are currently being supplied with a minor lease system that costs them nothing.  

14 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Why do you think the pros can't afford insurance when ever college does?  What facilities, their facility cost would be a fraction of what colleges are now doing to attract players.  What is the difference in this and what Major League baseball does?  

I think this is an iffy venture because the NCAA may oppose it and I doubt the NFL wants to face their ire when they are currently being supplied with a minor lease system that costs them nothing.  

you cannot compare this to minor league baseball.  they have established leagues and fan base.  I have season tkts to the Frisco Rough Riders and love it.  No way would I go see High School II play football.

6 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

you cannot compare this to minor league baseball.  they have established leagues and fan base.  I have season tkts to the Frisco Rough Riders and love it.  No way would I go see High School II play football.

I guess minor league baseball arose fully as it is today.  How do you think it got started?