MGB: Source says Tommy Perry has left staff at UNT

Brett Vito

Man, it seems uphill both ways. What do you think happens next? Maybe a high school coach to bring in recruiting?

5 minutes ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

He's been known for recruiting which is why SL kept him on, but look at the two units he's coached: running backs and special teams. To me, those are consistently our better units. 

Well d@#$. I agree, the special teams were outstanding. The timing is awful. Where is the panic thred, the recruiting was slow and now to lose him....?

Edited by UTSA Fan
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Yes Perry was one of the better recruits.. Him and KP(who left at the same time last year for Tech.) 

Wonder if this has been in the works for awhile now with the Choice coming onto the staff?

Choice isn't on the UNT staff, he's part of a coaching fellowship program with the Cowboys which included some duties through the partnership with UNT.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

Choice isn't on the UNT staff, he's part of a coaching fellowship program with the Cowboys which included some duties through the partnership with UNT.

Well I know that NCAA only allows, I believe 10 different coaches on the staff. I wonder if this fellowship program was a way to increase the staff without it officially happening.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Just now, BTG_Fan1 said:

Well I know that NCAA only allows, I believe 10 different coaches on the staff. I wonder if this fellowship program was a way to increase the staff without it officially happening.

Pretty clear that it is part of the Cowboys-UNT Partnership in a way to put a familiar name in front of our players/recruits and say "look at the ex-Cowboys player working with the Mean Green".

He isn't a coach.... and probably won't be.

I wonder if this was in the cards for a long time. Perry seems to be a really good coach and it looks like he served as a great piece of continuity for the players during the transition, but maybe SL is ready to move on with all of his own guys?

Even if that's the case Perry should land on his feet easily.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, UNT90 said:

I don't think this is Perry stepping away. That would have occurred during the college coaches conference after the season. I think this is either a mutual parting of the ways or Perry asked not to return. 

Could be, especially if we are eyeing a guy like Jeff Traylor. Our recruiting needs a kickstart and a coach who can instantly bring in recruits from a region like East Texas would be great right now.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

Could be, especially if we are eyeing a guy like Jeff Traylor. Our recruiting needs a kickstart and a coach who can instantly bring in recruits from a region like East Texas would be great right now.

Frankly I'm hoping for an upgrade. Special teams play was pedestrian this year. 

Good luck to Coach Perry wherever he lands.

• Upvote 12
  • Downvote 6

if it is Traylor almost all of his targets for recruiting are receivers at this point

http://247sports.com/Coach/Jeff-Traylor-3653

Really sorry to see Perry leave and I really hope he knows how many on this board/in this fanbase considered him their favorite coach on the staff.  He will be on a solid coaching staff in a no time.