MGB: Five burning questions heading into offseason

Brett Vito

5 minutes ago, wardly said:

I don't know how much data you need when you are ranked 10th of 14, which puts  UNT in bottom third of conference. How is that a huge leap? Just asking......

I always hold out hope, but, NSD is now a matter of weeks before February 1st. I don't know how likely it is to have a last minuet break in your favor and you get an avalanche of 3 stars (I mean really good fits for your system you can coach up), but I would say odds are against that happening. 

I expect UNT to be in the TOP third of CUSA, not the bottom.UTSA's new coach came from LSU, Texas State's from James Madison, so its not like they had a home field advantage in recruiting. On a national basis,UNT and Rice are 105 and 106, with UTEP 138th. To put our YTD recruiting in perspective ,ULM is ranked 103rd.In summary, I am 74 ,have supported our athletic program since my freshman year of 1961,and am sick and tired of excuses and a legacy of failure.There is just no reason for us to sucking hind teet in recruiting.None.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

On January 3, 2017 at 9:42 PM, shaft said:

Really "alarmed."  Before we start screaming the sky is falling, let's take a look at the measures that are in "our" control as fans.

Season tickets.  Ticket Sales.  Donations.

All those increase with better recruiting classes, because better recruiting classes = more wins.

UNT has to have this happen before what you suggest happens. That's just life.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

17 hours ago, UNT Mean Green said:

Based on what?

Recruiting ratings services, which, contrary to beliefs that exist only on this board, directly reflect the coaching evaluations from every single NCAA football program in the country. 

See, coaches don't hand out scholarships arbitrarily. Their jobs, many of which are 7-figure type jobs, rely on them doing it well. Players that are offered a ton of scholarships to successful programs have demonstrated skills that those programs all seem to agree are worthwhile. No, they aren't always correct. But they're correct at a higher percentage than people on an internet message board.

That's what's funny about this argument. Recruiting rankings ARE coaching evaluations. Sure, some players are better fits for certain programs, but I guarantee you Littrell and Ekeler aren't running some unique brand of football out there. 

They're clearly going to have to coach players up for their system at this point, because the recruiting isn't any better, and our high water mark is winning the HOD Bowl. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

Nerds that play video games will tell you that their girlfriends are the best because "they fit my personality and have my interests". 

What they're really saying is "the hot girls won't give me the time of day...so I'm gonna play up the virtues of this 5 on my arm".

Lol! Strong work!

I think you have to look inside the star ratings.  I doubt there is a significant difference between most low 3's and high 2's.  Probably a significant difference between a high 2 and a high 3.  As in any kind of measurement, you have to expect some degree of error of measurement.  

7 minutes ago, Graddean said:

I think you have to look inside the star ratings.  I doubt there is a significant difference between most low 3's and high 2's.  Probably a significant difference between a high 2 and a high 3.  As in any kind of measurement, you have to expect some degree of error of measurement.  

Is there a way to determine what a high 2 is vs a low 2 or high or low 3? I've not seen that on Rivals, 247 or Scout. That is an interesting proposition I'd like to investigate.