2017 Schedule

shaft

Iowa isn't losing that much.  They are the type of P5 we should be able to play closely as they aren't a typically explosive team on offense, outside of our last game there.  We should be able to play with them, but they have a lot coming back on their lines.

They only lose the following starters:

Offense: 1 WR, RT, TE, QB and RB

Defense: Both tackles, SS and RCB

They also lose their  punter from Special Teams.  He also handled kick-offs and held field goals.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Iowa isn't losing that much.  They are the type of P5 we should be able to play closely as they aren't a typically explosive team on offense, outside of our last game there.  We should be able to play with them, but they have a lot coming back on their lines.

Let's not delude ourselves, Iowa is going to be a very tough game to win. But they aren't Alabama or Ohio State. 

• Upvote 4

Just now, VideoEagle said:

Let's not delude ourselves, Iowa is going to be a very tough game to win. But they aren't Alabama or Ohio State. 

Oh, I agree.  They are, to me, a typical Big 10 team.  Strong running game, passing game that keeps the pressure off of the running game, big boys on the line, solid defense.  We have the ability to score and play with them, but we will have to have a full effort for four quarters.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Oh, I agree.  They are, to me, a typical Big 10 team.  Strong running game, passing game that keeps the pressure off of the running game, big boys on the line, solid defense.  We have the ability to score and play with them, but we will have to have a full effort for four quarters.

I think our biggest challenge next year will continue to be a lack of depth. We were basically at an FCS number of scholarship players. Next year we should be better but still not up to the full or within five of the full number allowed. When playing a solid if not to top level P5 team, this lack of depth is going to be a serious problem. Personally, I'm counting Iowa as a likely loss. That's likely, not certain! 

• Upvote 1

How in the world does one get to Iowa ?  A 12 hour drive or a airplane trip arriving in Des Moines or some other corn growing wide spot in the road.  All I was trying to do was to find a city with an airport serviced by American Airlines, where I could rent a car, get a hotel room, and drive to the game without the need of applying for utilities and registering to vote.  It's hard enough to get to Iowa City for a game.  How do they recruit to Iowa.  I guess if you win you could recruit to the moon. 

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

14 hours ago, GMG24 said:

Well Florida beat Iowa 30-3 so we played Florida better than them. 

Scheduling ACU isn't a really good job they are a program QUICKLY on the rise.

I may be wrong but didn't they recently fire their head coach?

15 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

How in the world does one get to Iowa ?  A 12 hour drive or a airplane trip arriving in Des Moines or some other corn growing wide spot in the road.  All I was trying to do was to find a city with an airport serviced by American Airlines, where I could rent a car, get a hotel room, and drive to the game without the need of applying for utilities and registering to vote.  It's hard enough to get to Iowa City for a game.  How do they recruit to Iowa.  I guess if you win you could recruit to the moon. 

GO MEAN GREEN

Back 25 - 30 years ago, I worked for a software company in Denton whose parent company was in Cedar Rapids, and flew there several times.  At some point, the airport was renamed "The Eastern Iowa Airport".  Per their web site, there are non-stop flights from DFW.  I'm assuming that's on a "regional jet", but the airport can certainly handle 727s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Eastern_Iowa_Airport

http://www.eiairport.org/check-a-flight/airlines/

American Airlines
Tickets: (800) 433-7300
Bag Claim Info: (800) 535-5225

Flies Non-stop to Chicago and Dallas-Ft. Worth
Ticket counter hours: Monday-Sunday 5 a.m. to 5 p.m.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, shaft said:

RV really did a good job of setting up the OOC schedule for the next few seasons.

10 year, home-at-home deal with SMU.  6 year, home-at-home deal with Army.  6 years of 1 payday game & 1 fcs game.

As far as rivalries go I think it's pretty clear; CUSA West + SMU + Army.

This post, right here, is how you troll a message board...bravo!!

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

7 hours ago, greenjoe said:

GO MEAN GREEN

They don't even have a Zaxby's there. May as well be red China, or Timbuktu, for crying out loud. 

On 1/2/2017 at 5:14 PM, KRAM1 said:

I love all the service academies, but for a rivalry game with UNT I'd prefer a Texas based team.  Got any ideas?

I would say keep Army, but I'm very Bias as I was in the Army. Also, Army had a solid showing at the HOD Bowl as well. 

On 1/2/2017 at 5:14 PM, UTSA Fan said:

This whole rivaly discussion interests me and want your thoughts. Wouldn't the fans dictate that? UNT fans have their perceptions of UTSA and if they don't see a rivalry is it really a rivalry? The UNT base sees UNT as an academically incompatible school with UTSA. As such, would the fan base just reject the notion? I see the same in S.A. At large Joe thinks Texas State is the rivalry due to pre-football stuff, but the football fans see L.A. Tech as the school they despise. 

I feel like UNT fans view SMU as a rival and SMU looks down at UNT. Just like how UNT looks down at UTSA. UTSA should be a rival. As much as we don't want to view/nor call it a rivalry, it already is and we are the ones to blind to say it because we don't think they have earned their place at the dinner table. Well none of us did as toddlers but we still got to sit, embrace it everyone. UTSA and SMU seem to be our biggest rivals, and outside of TX our biggest rival should be LAT. 

• Upvote 1

On January 3, 2017 at 9:28 PM, shaft said:

It's not trolling when everyone agrees with a well reasoned post.

Not even worth a response.

On January 4, 2017 at 0:40 AM, BTG_Fan1 said:

I would say keep Army, but I'm very Bias as I was in the Army. Also, Army had a solid showing at the HOD Bowl as well. 

I feel like UNT fans view SMU as a rival and SMU looks down at UNT. Just like how UNT looks down at UTSA. UTSA should be a rival. As much as we don't want to view/nor call it a rivalry, it already is and we are the ones to blind to say it because we don't think they have earned their place at the dinner table. Well none of us did as toddlers but we still got to sit, embrace it everyone. UTSA and SMU seem to be our biggest rivals, and outside of TX our biggest rival should be LAT. 

If UTSA keeps out recruiting UNT the way they have so far this year, they will be beating us by 30 every game. 

That isn't a rivalry.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 10

7 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

I think it's interesting the common denominator between UNT & UTSA fans is LA Tech. Probably because they win often.

• Downvote 1

All you scheduling geniuses should look at K-State, Tx Tech, Baylor, Ok State, Az State plus many more. Look at what Johnny Jones did, he only played a few

name teams and then a bunch of DII, SWAC, & Southland. The students and casual fans want to have a good time and if you want to get better teams support

with season tickets and attendance(MG club).

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

On 1/6/2017 at 3:13 PM, ttunt1970 said:

All you scheduling geniuses should look at K-State, Tx Tech, Baylor, Ok State, Az State plus many more. Look at what Johnny Jones did, he only played a few

name teams and then a bunch of DII, SWAC, & Southland. The students and casual fans want to have a good time and if you want to get better teams support

Ya, because UNT has all those conference home games against UT, Oklahoma, and USC, so scheduling just like those teams you mentioned makes perfect sense, right?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 12

47 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Ya, because UNT has all those conference home games against UT, Oklahoma, and USC, so scheduling just like those teams you mentioned makes perfect sense, right?

Scheduking genius you are not.

And your plan for scheduling as building success is?

On 01/06/2017 at 3:13 PM, ttunt1970 said:

This is the football board.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Rudy I was making the point that in basketball we didn't play all top 50 teams, but people liked to watch OUR team compete and yes I know this is a FOOTBALL thread.

Also everyone on this board takes things personal or has to reply in combative ways, if I did in ya'lls opinion I apologize!

• Downvote 4