2017 Schedule

shaft

37 minutes ago, @UNTSportsFan said:

It's been announced first week of February the last 2 seasons ( after winter meetings conclude) 

we will host ODU , play at FAU. Hopefully they switch up the West schedule  so we aren't on the road /host  all 3 Texas schools in same year 

maybe with the addition of UAB, this happens...damn shame we have all texas schools at home/road every year

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Remaining FCS Games:

2017 Lamar

2018 Incarnate Word

2019 Abilene Christian

2020 Houston Baptist

2021 Rhode Island

Remaining Body Bag Games:

2017: Iowa

2018: Arkansas

2019 Wisconsin

2020: Texas A&M

2021: Missouri

The good news is that I see a full six-game home schedule through 2021, and who knows, by 2021 we could be really good and Missouri could be on a down year! 

The Army series runs through 2021, SMU through 2025 assuming no buy-out, and Memphis home and home in 2022-2023.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, UTSA Fan said:

I've read Army as the rivalry for UNT. What do you think? I've always felt service academies were a good fit for ooc scheduling.

I love all the service academies, but for a rivalry game with UNT I'd prefer a Texas based team.  Got any ideas?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

27 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

Many don't want to hear this but UTSA is becoming the rivalry.  

This whole rivaly discussion interests me and want your thoughts. Wouldn't the fans dictate that? UNT fans have their perceptions of UTSA and if they don't see a rivalry is it really a rivalry? The UNT base sees UNT as an academically incompatible school with UTSA. As such, would the fan base just reject the notion? I see the same in S.A. At large Joe thinks Texas State is the rivalry due to pre-football stuff, but the football fans see L.A. Tech as the school they despise. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, UTSA Fan said:

This whole rivaly discussion interests me and want your thoughts. Wouldn't the fans dictate that? UNT fans have their perceptions of UTSA and if they don't see a rivalry is it really a rivalry? The UNT base sees UNT as an academically incompatible school with UTSA. As such, would the fan base just reject the notion? I see the same in S.A. At large Joe thinks Texas State is the rivalry due to pre-football stuff, but the football fans see L.A. Tech as the school they despise. 

All I know is the mutual hatred (ingredient one for rivalry) is there.  The UTSA fans I met this year understood full well that many of our fans look down on them and they were up for the game for that reason.  They were ANXIOUSLY looking forward to their freshman all-conference linebacker playing us because we didn't give him the time of day.  And, until the all-time series record isn't 3-1 in favor of the roadkill, we can't be so dismissive...especially since they appear to be recruiting at a high enough level to keep it lopsided.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

21 minutes ago, KRAM1 said:

I love all the service academies, but for a rivalry game with UNT I'd prefer a Texas based team.  Got any ideas?

I think if it's Texas based (I'm biased because I root for both teams), it would be UNT/UTSA. Why? I expect UTSA to get better each year as Wilson recruits better talent. Rice has really struggled in  recruiting the last several years and this year the same. Texas State will always be out recruited and out coached. UTEP doesn't have the recruiting base or coaching to build anything. They have been fortunate to have an NFL RB. Now that he is gone, their struggles will become even more evident on the field. SMU, I know their stock is going up, but, I need to see something from them first. Houston. Maybe later.

13 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

All I know is the mutual hatred (ingredient one for rivalry) is there.  The UTSA fans I met this year understood full well that many of our fans look down on them and they were up for the game for that reason.  They were ANXIOUSLY looking forward to their freshman all-conference linebacker playing us because we didn't give him the time of day.  And, until the all-time series record isn't 3-1 in favor of the roadkill, we can't be so dismissive...especially since they appear to be recruiting at a high enough level to keep it lopsided.

I wouldn't read too much into the Josiah thing. As you said, RR fan is more reactionary to MG fan than passionate. Take my word, there is a near hate for Tech. They honestly play dirty and run up the score. 

Edited by UTSA Fan
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

6 hours ago, @UNTSportsFan said:

Hopefully they switch up the West schedule  so we aren't on the road /host  all 3 Texas schools in same year 

The problem is to make this happen, someone, probably us, has to have an extra away and one less home game for one year. At least I think that's the only way to fix it. I guess we could skip playing someone for a year. 

I think we're the only Texas team with an all away and all home schedule, so we would be the one's to take a hit to fix it. Is the solution worse than the cure? I know folks here would not look kindly on a five game schedule no matter what the result in later years. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6

13 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

The problem is to make this happen, someone, probably us, has to have an extra away and one less home game for one year. At least I think that's the only way to fix it. I guess we could skip playing someone for a year. 

I think we're the only Texas team with an all away and all home schedule, so we would be the one's to take a hit to fix it. Is the solution worse than the cure? I know folks here would not look kindly on a five game schedule no matter what the result in later years. 

Not really following here .. how would this translate into 5 game home schedule? 

it would just mean  ( for example ) we possibly go on the road for 2 straight years at somewhere like UTSA while hosting UAB this season 

Example for 2017 -

Home : ODU ( East) , Rice , UTEP , UAB 

Road : FAU ( East) , La Tech , USM , UTSA            

Edited by @UNTSportsFan
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

23 minutes ago, @UNTSportsFan said:

Not really following here .. how would this translate into 5 game home schedule? 

it would just mean  ( for example ) we possibly go on the road for 2 straight years at somewhere like UTSA while hosting UAB this season 

Example for 2017 -

Home : ODU ( East) , Rice , UTEP , UAB 

Road : FAU ( East) , La Tech , USM , UTSA            

So this year is the perfect time to get one texas school away again...I would choose rice/utsa...both games are easily drive able and don't need to be home/away the same year...get on it mr. Wren!

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

RV really did a good job of setting up the OOC schedule for the next few seasons.

10 year, home-at-home deal with SMU.  6 year, home-at-home deal with Army.  6 years of 1 payday game & 1 fcs game.

As far as rivalries go I think it's pretty clear; CUSA West + SMU + Army.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 4

10 hours ago, shaft said:

When do we get the full schedule?  Inquiring minds what to start planning their tailgate menus.

• 09/02 - Lamar
  • 09/09 - at SMU
  • 09/16 - at Iowa
  • 11/18 - Army

Well Florida beat Iowa 30-3 so we played Florida better than them. 

27 minutes ago, shaft said:

RV really did a good job of setting up the OOC schedule for the next few seasons.

10 year, home-at-home deal with SMU.  6 year, home-at-home deal with Army.  6 years of 1 payday game & 1 fcs game.

As far as rivalries go I think it's pretty clear; CUSA West + SMU + Army.

Scheduling ACU isn't a really good job they are a program QUICKLY on the rise.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

5 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

Remaining FCS Games:

2017 Lamar

2018 Incarnate Word

2019 Abilene Christian

2020 Houston Baptist

2021 Rhode Island

Remaining Body Bag Games:

2017: Iowa

2018: Arkansas

2019 Wisconsin

2020: Texas A&M

2021: Missouri

The good news is that I see a full six-game home schedule through 2021, and who knows, by 2021 we could be really good and Missouri could be on a down year! 

The Army series runs through 2021, SMU through 2025 assuming no buy-out, and Memphis home and home in 2022-2023.

I don't really see Iowa or Missouri as body bag games.  They are actually the kind of P5 schools we should be playing...home and home. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, NT93 said:

I don't really see Iowa or Missouri as body bag games.  They are actually the kind of P5 schools we should be playing...home and home. 

I agree. I haven't really looked at roster retention for Iowa next season, but I guess I'm going to try and be optimistic about that upcoming game based on the way they looked against Florida.