HOD TV Viewers

MCMLXXX

12 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

...and there are people that would cancel our series with Army tomorrow if they could. 

I wish we could keep a service academy on our schedule every year, even if it is the same one. 

Agreed.  How I'd love to see a series with Navy or Air Force also. 

The service academies really are almost at a disadvantage with recruiting because they of the academic requirements and the service commitment after graduation (5 years min).  Your typical very good HS player would likely look at another program first.   That's why it's such a testament to Army and Navy when they have a great year.   Talked to a couple of Army fans at HOD game. They said Army really likes the series with us because Texas is hotbed of recruiting talent.   Since Navy has SMU in the conference, I don't thnk they're going to be as inclined to make additional trips to Texas.   Fingers crossed for AF in the future sometime.   

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Agreed. Any recognizable out of conference is good in my opinion and Army has as good of a reputation as any unless you go midlevel P5.

This is an Army team that hadn't  been to a bowl in, what, 13 years? 

They don't have a better rep than Ok St or Texas Tech. 

You guys been smoking weed.

Its an ok series... If UNT ever played a P5 at home... They don't.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 23

1 hour ago, UNT90 said:

Army is a respected institution - and we have a legitimate chance to beat them.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, GTWT said:

1 hour ago, GTWT said:

Well then, let's drop to D2. We KNOW we can beat them. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 12

4 hours ago, UNT90 said:

You mention Oklahoma state and Texas tech as well as P5s and say they would be better than Army. Clearly you didn't read my post as I said Army is as respectable as any unless you go midlevel P5 which both programs you mentioned are midlevel P5...

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

You mention Oklahoma state and Texas tech as well as P5s and say they would be better than Army. Clearly you didn't read my post as I said Army is as respectable as any unless you go midlevel P5 which both programs you mentioned are midlevel P5...

You are correct. I read past "unless." 

I still think a program like Syracuse or Wake Forrest is a better opponent, though. 

Look, if the other OOC home game wasn't an FCS, I wouldn't be opposed to the Army series. It isn't. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

17 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

You are correct. I read past "unless." 

I still think a program like Syracuse or Wake Forrest is a better opponent, though. 

Look, if the other OOC home game wasn't an FCS, I wouldn't be opposed to the Army series. It isn't. 

I would be happy with Syracuse and Wake Forrest as well!

I think it's a mistake to refuse to recognize that a 7 year home and home with Army is good considering the current state of our program. It's a step up from what we've had previous years and Army is more recognizable than most non-P5 programs. The HOD attendance and number of TV viewers in the middle of a working day shows they are good to play against and are an attractive opponent. Also, I'm fairly certain they were our only nationally televised regular season game this year. Lets not disregard that.

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, TreeFiddy said:

...and there are people that would cancel our series with Army tomorrow if they could. 

I wish we could keep a service academy on our schedule every year, even if it is the same one. 

I was one of those at the beginning of the season.

I definitely feel differently now. There's an interesting new dynamic in my immediate family with my father, the former West Point staffer, and myself, the UNT alum and current staffer.

• Upvote 3

As much as we want UNT to buy out these match ups with these FCS schools, I would much rather us keep them and save that $$ for them to re-invest into the program, but even we are seen reports that we are losing money. Also, playing Army is a national televised game as well on CBS Sports. Keeping Army on the Sch. is great for us and them. We just just need to get behind Army's local fan base and help them come out like they did for the HOD game. 

Even in a few years when we hope to be clicking and everything is going great. Army will still want to play us, because

A) Doesn't cost them much,

B) this is a hotbed for them to recruit

• Upvote 2