Game Program

EAGLE83

I did not see one on gameday at the Cotton Bowl. However, this guide produced by our sports information people should scratch your itch. You will have to invest in a ream of paper and some ink cartridges if you want a hard copy for posterity! :)

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/ntex/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/2016-17/misc_non_event/16bowlguide.pdf

• Downvote 1

This is a really well done media guide.  Take the time to look through it. 

I found particularly interesting, the item on the bottom of page 4;

"All North Texas athletic teams are referred to as "North Texas" or "The Mean Green."  DO NOT use the terms "UNT", "North Texas State", or "Eagles" to describe a North Texas athletic team."

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

7 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

"All North Texas athletic teams are referred to as "North Texas" or "The Mean Green."  DO NOT use the terms "UNT", "North Texas State", or "Eagles" to describe a North Texas athletic team."

GO MEAN GREEN

Yes.  Remnants of the vested one.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

GO MEAN GREEN

Brett Vito uses "UNT" all the time. He really should be using "NT". 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

On 12/30/2016 at 2:53 PM, greenjoe said:

GO MEAN GREEN

So ridiculous when the school markets itself, and everyone in the DFW area calls us UNT, for the athletic media guide to say don't call us UNT. What a clown the previous AD was.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

1 hour ago, MeanGreenHoops said:

So ridiculous when the school markets itself, and everyone in the DFW area calls us UNT, for the athletic media guide to say don't call us UNT. What a clown the previous AD was.

It's a sample of the direct conflict between the AD department and our one person show that runs the URCM department.

Neither agreed on much, but I'm with the AD in trying to maintain a marketable uniqueness in "Mean Green".  He tried to steer away from the use of UNT because at one point we were a DallasLee away from having it forced onto the helmet.  If you want to appreciate RV for anything that is the one battle to do so.

My only gripe is this info needs to be on page 1, not page 4.

Rick

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 4

16 minutes ago, aztecskin said:

I get the reason for the distinction, but I find it silly. 

North Texas, NT, UNT, Mean Green are all the same to me and I use them interchangeably 

Historically speaking there was an ongoing debate between RV and Lee Jackson in regards to this.  RV wanted North Texas and Lee wanted UNT.  RV was also a very strong supporter of Mean Green as there were some in administration pushing for Eagles.  I am a huge fan of Mean Green as it is unique and in my mind a NO brainer that we use it as it is ours and we should probably trademark it if we haven't already. On the North Texas vs. UNT - I know that I was proud to be one of the first graduates to have University of North Texas on my degree.  I understand that some don't like the connotation of UNT as an acronym. But like TCU, SMU etc it is an easily identifiable short simple way to identify the college.  I do like North Texas from the standpoint that it represents a very powerful region in the state and country.  I tend to agree with @aztecskin I am ok with all three for now.  I think we have bigger fish to fry honestly.

10 minutes ago, Harry said:

Historically speaking there was an ongoing debate between RV and Lee Jackson in regards to this.  RV wanted North Texas and Lee wanted UNT.  RV was also a very strong supporter of Mean Green as there were some in administration pushing for Eagles.  I am a huge fan of Mean Green as it is unique and in my mind a NO brainer that we use it as it is ours and we should probably trademark it if we haven't already. 

Lee Jackson did prefer Mean Green over Eagles.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Ryan Munthe said:

North Texas or NT. Everyone who has ever gone here has a connection to the name North Texas. Not everyone who has gone here has a connection to the name UNT. Best thing Rick did was brand us as the North Texas Mean Green.

You could use your same argument (pretty much) for Eagles over Mean Green.   Just sayin'.  Today the eagle reference is still all over the place, though heaven forbid we say the word "Eagles" outside of the fight song.  When I went to school at NTSU and UNT, we were definitely the Eagles, though still also referred to as the Mean Green.

Edited by UNT 90 Grad
  • Upvote 1

On 1/7/2017 at 11:48 AM, UNT 90 Grad said:

You could use your same argument (pretty much) for Eagles over Mean Green.   Just sayin'.  Today the eagle reference is still all over the place, though heaven forbid we say the word "Eagles" outside of the fight song.  When I went to school at NTSU and UNT, we were definitely the Eagles, though still also referred to as the Mean Green.

Eagles is just so generic. Honestly, I have no problem with us being the Eagles other than it's just a really generic mascot.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

4 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

Start winning at something......anything athletics and you can call us whatever.  Just friggin win!!!!

Otherwise, we might as well change our name to the "Deacon Blues"

They got a name for the winners in the world
I want a name when I lose
They call Alabama the Crimson Tide
Call me Deacon Blues

• Upvote 2