What if i told you?

TheReal_jayD

32 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

Well, first, I'd be very impressed and a bit skeptical and second, I'd wonder why all those schools offered these two players and we, according to that list, did not the first time around.

GO MEAN GREEN

I thought same thing. Neither were prolly tall enough or from Iowa according to McCartney 

• Upvote 6

6 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I'm always super skeptical when people hang their hats on these "former" 4 stars.  Maybe 'cautiously optimistic' is more appropriate, but there is a reason they are here.

They didn't work out at their first school and are now working their way up the ladder and land in our lap.  They might "figure things out" and fulfill that 4-star potential or, as in a lot of cases like these, they can't put it all together and barely contribute.  Stating the obvious here but there are intangibles that can't be measured into the star system.  The same intangibles that we loved in our lunch-pale working, Dickey-era players.  This is the other side of the spectrum.  Call it lack of a lunch pale, if you will.

I guess my point is, the "4-star" label is somewhat dimmer at this point.  Obviously, I'm rooting for them to figure things out and polish it up!

You are correct, IMO that rating loses most of its luster when those players transfer out of their original school without any significant success.   Not to said they won't be superstars, but it is not near the recruiting coup that it would be if they were not rebound recruits.  Having said that, I am excited about the potential of both the players mentioned. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

You are correct, IMO that rating loses most of its luster when those players transfer out of their original school without any significant success.   Not to said they won't be superstars, but it is not near the recruiting coup that it would be if they were not rebound recruits.  Having said that, I am excited about the potential of both the players mentioned. 

Could be wrong, but neither left because of on field issues, right?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Their names again or would that create bad karma to say them?? 

Methinks we will flip some more recruits we couldn't talk to before the bowl among many reasons but especially  because our fans & alums showed DFW, Texas & the ESPN TV audience that we give a damn about this football program & its future......going forward at the end of the day. ?

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

You ask people 2 weeks ago and this staff can't recruit they would say.. but yet we added Izzy, the JUCO OL, Guyton, Bradley, and the Trinity OL... that's 1/4 of the entire class. We can say they aren't getting top recruits but Guyton and Bradley lead this class, with Izzy having a chance to be our QB next year as a PWO...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

On December 30, 2016 at 11:28 AM, TheReal_jayD said:

What if I told you the day Seth Littrell was hired that in 2017 we would be coming off a Heart of the Dallas bowl apperance and would

1) Have a Sophomore Defensive Tackle that was a former 247 4 star that held offers from Kansas State, SMU, Arizona State, Arkansas, Houston, Iowa, Iowa State, Kansas, Louisiana Tech, San Diego State, TCU and UCLA

2) Have a Sophomore Wide Receiver that was a former 247 4 star that held offers from Notre Dame, Arizona State, Baylor, Clemson,Colorado, Illinois, Indiana, Northwestern, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Ole Miss ,San Diego State, SMU, Stanford, TCU, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Wake Forest

I would caution to wait and see how they perform, as many a player highly rated out of high school have transferred in from a P5 only to be a back up or worse at UNT.

I'd be more impressed with beating out multiple P5s for a high school recruit. Like Dodge did with Lance Dunbar...

https://n.rivals.com/news/north-texas-adds-in-state-running-back

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 5

56 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

I would caution to wait and see how they perform, as many a player highly rated out of high school have transferred in from a P5 only to be a back up or worse at UNT.

I'd be more impressed with beating out multiple P5s for a high school recruit. Like Dodge did with Lance Dunbar...

https://n.rivals.com/news/north-texas-adds-in-state-running-back

Those highly rated players that transferred here weren't playing at their schools.  Guyton had offers from multiple schools including WVU yet he chose UNT.  McNeal has Nevada and UCLA.  We will see how they turn out. 

• Upvote 1