Can We? How Should We?

KRAM1

Last time we played in the HOD Bowl and had a great turnout, some of us expected a bump up in season ticket sales and attendance.  THAT definitely did not happen and, in fact, probably went the other way.  It really is hard to believe that we can put that many rears in the seats at the Cotton Bowl to just turn around and have a 1/3 empty Apogee on home game days.

So, we now have a new AD, a new HC, a new COO, a new CFO and a new Chief Revenue Officer (as he refers to himself) in place in the Athletic Department.  We, once again, are coming off a great HOD Bowl attendance and a great pre- bowl experience at DOTS and with the pre-event tailgate at Fair Park. Ticket office sales were near a sell out once again (I think I heard that less than 200 of our allotment remained on game Day, and I have no clue if we sold any walk up from our allotment on game day), and the game itself was super exciting and held attendance to the very end.  UNT had the ball in the 4th quarter and in OT with an opportunity to win the game...cannot ask for much more than that to make it exciting for the Mean Green Nation.

But, now what?  Do we capture the momentum this time or follow the same path as last time?  If we change and ramp this thing up, what needs to be done from the Athletic Department's perspective and what responsibility lies on the fans?

With what we have now in place, can we capitalize?  Has Wren Baker and Littell and Company done enough to win back some of those who have recently left and stopped buying season tickets?  Have they done enough to entice some of those who have never purchased season tickets to get on board?  Has enough been done to entice the community to step it up a bit?

Much to be done for sure, but has the foundation actually been set this time?

Thoughts?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

3 minutes ago, KRAM1 said:

Much to be done for sure, but has the foundation actually been set this time?

I don't think it has yet (because they haven't had the opportunity yet).

It needs to be done this offseason. The department has to go all out in marketing, outreach, things we haven't thought of, etc.

• Upvote 3

Army brought a better crowd than UNLV did.

NT had a much better season after the last HoD Bowl victory. It's going to be interesting to see how this AD will utilize this Bowl appearance towards boosting season ticket sales. 

Edited by Got5onIt

We will have an easier schedule next year with better talent. This team overachieved for sure. A consistent winning team will draw a consistent large crowd. I think we could easily win eight or more games in 2017. It's important to follow up a good year with another good year unlike in 2014 to maintain the hype. I want to see the Tail Zone full!!!!

Edited by Matt from A700
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

It's going to take sustained winning seasons, exciting football, and support from the top man at UNT in all things athletic.  We need to start beating the likes of Western Kentucky, MUTS, La Tech, UTEP, NutsaK, etc., on a regular basis, along with an annual P5 win.  This would get the casual fans attention.  We have got to have back to back to back winning seasons over the course of several years.  We need to get out of this same old North Texas funk we have been in for so long.

And the other sports need to do there part too.  Men's basketball, women's basketball, softball, etc.  Benford should be gone after this season; Jalie needs to be on a short lease(I really hope she gets the girls on the right track).

the more you win + better crowds + better recruiting = more fan attendance and greater fund raising

Couldn't have said it better myself.

• Upvote 1

I truly believe this staff can continue finding great talent and can keep the momentum going... we would be seeing a big up tick in ticket sales if we could have continued to win following HOD 2013. This group gets it... From evaluating good talent, relates better with the players and what motivates them and etc... It's an exciting time for the Mean Green Nation. I will be renewing my season tickets again this year, no doubt. #GMG

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, MeanGreen01 said:

I truly believe this staff can continue finding great talent and can keep the momentum going... we would be seeing a big up tick in ticket sales if we could have continued to win following HOD 2013. This group gets it... From evaluating good talent, relates better with the players and what motivates them and etc... It's an exciting time for the Mean Green Nation. I will be renewing my season tickets again this year, no doubt. #GMG

Wait until you see the Uniforms and Helmets Littrell and Wren get us in next year.  

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, FirefightnRick said:

We'll get the same rears in seats in Apogee as we put in the cotton bowl...about 12,000 to 18,000.  Maybe more on homecoming if we're doing good.  Maybe even more if we're undefeated.

Rick

We averaged nearly 20K this year, a shaky year with a losing record. 

It was nearly a 50% attendance increase from the previous year. I expect attendance to go up simply because there still plenty of empty seats to fill.

Edited by Aldo
  • Upvote 3

I invited a UNT grad who had not been to Apogee or a game since we where in school back 1890 or 1980 ( I forget) but my wife could not make a game and called him.  He came and was impressed by the stadium, the tailgate area and atmosphere of game day.  He told me if I had another game he would love to come back,  be came back the SOMETH game and had a great time and I am trying to talk him into buying a season ticket. This guy lives in Keller and has not been to game since 1980.  I think if we can get people back to a game they will be impressed.  Invite friends, relatives coworkers to the games.  They might come back for more.

• Upvote 2

To the average person even though we made it and played in a bowl game it's very very hard to sell the program to apathetic people on a 5-8 season.  Yes everyone on this board knows of our strides etc but I don't consider members of the board the general public that we're trying to cater to b/c we're dug in diehards regardless of win or lose.  As others have said we just need to keep on winning and having winning seasons of consistent 6-9 games a year and being in a bowl every single season to really see a dramatic increase.  Having a few seasons where we flirt and get into the top 25 and if all goes well finish a season or two could really be monumental but hey before that I'd just like to see consistent winning seasons in not just FB but MBB as well and hopefully we fix that at seasons end if you know what I mean.

The one thing that I think gets lost on a lot of this is every year I just see so much more pride and interest from the students.  While I don't want to forget the old and apathetic alumni, my main focus has always been on the already engaged fans/ticket holders & maintaining them but also on the very recently graduated, current and future students.  They are the future and I really think they are going to be the key when we're able to finally make it and turn that corner from a school pride/engagement perspective.  For new alumni the tickets are more than reasonably priced and the fact that they don't have to drive to Denton anymore if they want to take the train if they so wish.  Things like the North Texan magazine is also really great and I think that's another way that's kept alumni engaged in the goings on at UNT.  Had a few buddies graduate from UT and during the graduation ceremonies they always say no matter where you are and where you go we will always know where you are and find you.  We need to have that mentality as well because it's all there in front of us...just need to capitalize more and more.    

Also, as a whole the university has started doing a really good job in catering to alumni with the mixers, receptions etc so keep on doing that because the attendance and response has been quite good from what I've seen and heard based on initial expectations.  Obviously we know we can do better and should but given the budget we have to work with compared to other schools I say it's a success thus far. As I've stated in other posts I think we should all really be optimistic in the future.  I honestly haven't felt this way ever since being tied to UNT...all I've ever said, hoped, dreamed, and heard was potential and yes that is still the case but given what's happened in the last year or so it just feels a little bit different now.

Lastly I think this board is very instrumental for new/potential fans and keeping them engaged throughout the whole year.  I guess I joined this board about 10 years ago and to be honest I was pretty shocked to see something like this at first but I’ve been hooked ever since and I’ve never personally met Harry, Evan and the whole clan behind the board etc but I personally want to say thank you for doing what you do and what you’ve done to your bodies because it’s real to me dammit!!

• Upvote 2