Does anyone find it the least bit ironic...

Harry

1 minute ago, Andrew said:

He was going into the 9th grade the year Johnny left and he was a point guard. I believe that would put him in college already, but I have no idea where/if he is playing. 

Johnny Jones and his wife, Kelli, have two children – John and Jillian. John has shown his basketball ability as part of three state championships teams in 2014, 2015 and 2016 at University Lab in Baton Rouge. Jillian is also involved in sports at U-High, playing on the school volleyball team.

13 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

"But no way is Baker going to make his first coach hire the same guy as RVs first coach hire."

I agree.  And, I might add, we need to see what The Wren can do on his own when it comes to hiring the head coach of a major sport at UNT.

This gives me mixed emotions because I enjoyed and supported JJ when he was here, and could enjoy some more of that. On the other hand, I acknowledge your points. I trust The Wren as being a good basketball man and he will make the right call to get our program back on track.

• Upvote 3

No to a JJ rehire. Scott Cross at UTA, who beat JJ several times, would be a much better hire, in addition to several others. The two programs played every season from 2006-07 (Scott Cross' first year) to 2012-13, with the Mavericks going 5-2 over UNT during that span with Cross.  I trust Wren to find a coach that can not only beat UTA, but even UT.  Aim high please.

Edited by UNT94
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

JJ would be an Ok hire, no more, no less. We'd know the up and downside of it. Remember, UNT didn't fire him, he left for a way better salary that also happened to be his alma mater. We shouldn't hate on him, just because he was here during the RV years. If anything we should admire the fact that he managed to do okish despite RV. He is no shooting star with the Xs and Os, but he sure doesn't f it up like Benford, and he can recruit. He didn't really fail at LSU either, when looking at it closer. He won 19 games or more every season at LSU, which is a good deal better than the prior coach did in the 3 season leading up to his firing. That is a solid foundation with a really solid floor, but also with somewhat of a ceiling where he just doesn't look like he will be going deep in the NCAA ever. We should throw him a look at least, as we could do worse. But we shouldn't just hand it to him. If Wren think s he has the absolute silver bullet, let him get that guy instead. But if he is down to 3rd and 4th choice... And if JJ comes back, it needs to be at the right price with buyout clause high for him and payable for UNT. There is simply no point in overpaying if you know there is a ceiling.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 2

18 hours ago, UNT94 said:

No to a JJ rehire. Scott Cross at UTA, who beat JJ several times, would be a much better hire, in addition to several others. The two programs played every season from 2006-07 (Scott Cross' first year) to 2012-13, with the Mavericks going 5-2 over UNT during that span with Cross.  I trust Wren to find a coach that can not only beat UTA, but even UT.  Aim high please.

Scott Cross isn't coming here. If he leaves his alma mater, it will be for a much higher profile job than us.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2