Does anyone find it the least bit ironic...

Harry

...that as Benford heads into his last year of his contract with us, Johnny Jones may well become available after this season?  LSU is losing to Vandy tonight and the LSU fans are looking for blood.  I get a sense he may not be long for the world there. 

54 minutes ago, MCMLXXX said:

However, if he did come maybe he could get Shaq to work with Brice.

I really love that plan, but would settle for us seating Brice in a clockwork orange style chamber and forcing him to watch Shaq footage all offseason... same for Combs but with Rodman highlights.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, Eagle-96 said:

Randy Edsall and Bill Snyder told me to tell you hello.

Exceptions and rules...

Please, tell me again about that no star recruit that went on to be a Pro Bowler...

I think JJ would be a bad fit at this point. I also think Baker has his own candidates in mind.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Exceptions and rules...

Please, tell me again about that no star recruit that went on to be a Pro Bowler...

I think JJ would be a bad fit at this point. I also think Baker has his own candidates in mind.

No doubt Wren has his list ready and waiting. And JJ will probably find his way at another school.

BTW the following Pro Bowl players were no star recruits:

Tom Brady

Ben Roethlisberger

Antonio Brown

Delainie Walker

Michael Bennett

David Johnson

Donald Penn

Chris Harris

Lorenzo Alexander

Thomas Davis

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Just now, Eagle-96 said:

No doubt Wren has his list ready and waiting. And JJ will probably find his way at another school.

BTW the following Pro Bowl players were no star recruits:

Tom Brady

Ben Roethlisberger

Antonio Brown

Delainie Walker

Michael Bennett

David Johnson

Donald Penn

Chris Harris

Lorenzo Alexander

Thomas Davis

Now, go back over that same time period and find me the total number of players that were 0 star recruits. The number is probably over 50,000. 

So needle, meet haystack.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 2

50 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Now, go back over that same time period and find me the total number of players that were 0 star recruits. The number is probably over 50,000. 

So needle, meet haystack.

Absolutely agree. There are a ton of other coaches that would be a better fit and I completely trust that Wren will find the right one. It's just that I found your thermal exhaust port and thought i'd fire a couple of proton torpedoes your way.

200.gif#32

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

If JJ is available, I'd have to assume he'd be the favorite to come back. He has the support of the big donors, administration, Denton civic leaders, and most of the fanbase that is both still around and used to be here.

I'd be willing to bet if he's out at LSU, he'll be a finalist for the job here--at worst.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I love JJ, but the normal track record with a coach going back to his former job is not very good.  There have been some exceptions, but I'd have to really think on it.

I hope he turns it around at LSU this season though.  The SEC is kinda weak this year, if the Tigers play good ball they could compete for top 3 in the league.

• Upvote 1

There is nobody in this fanbase, and probably nobody on this planet, that loves Johnny Jones more than I do. If his wife and kids want to fight me over it, they'll have to settle for a tie. 

And I won't bother wasting time hashing through game coach arguments (THOUGH I COULD!!!). 

There's almost no chance it happens. Because if you're Wren Baker, your first hire is going to be YOUR hire. 

Maybe if he'd gotten here in time to replace Mac... Maybe. But no way is Baker going to make his first coach hire the same guy as RVs first coach hire. 

And even in the universe where that non-zero (but very damn close) possibility comes to pass... I'm not sure it's a great idea. 

We'd struggle to do much better, and we're likely to do a hell of a lot worse. Even so, I think you gotta go fish.