Group of 5 officials considering playoff for non-Power 5 teams

Harry

4 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

The '88 SFA game was one of only two sell outs(pre-expansion) at Fouts that I ever saw.  So 20,500 and some change.

BTW...Western Michigan spends $8 Million of their $29 Million athletic budget on football.

Wisconsin spends $26 Million of their $122 Million athletic budget on football.

Rick

I thought that SFA game was a sellout.  (Thanks, Jim Hobdy)!?

The only thing that stirs fan interest for many other than our regulars is when we play the Big Boys.  Being in a "Big Boy" environment like the HOD Bowl was last Tuesday seems to excite our base, too.  So many new faces.

Can you imagine a winning UNT football program doing that with the much larger constituency we have today compared to those 1-AA days?? 

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

The only thing that stirs fan interest for many other than our regulars is when we play the Big Boys.  Being in a "Big Boy" environment like the HOD Bowl was last Tuesday seems to excite our base, too.  So many new faces.

Can you imagine a winning UNT football program doing that with the much larger constituency we have today compared to those 1-AA days?? 

you got that right

MeanGreenFans1.jpg

14 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

The '88 SFA game was one of only two sell outs(pre-expansion) at Fouts that I ever saw.  So 20,500 and some change.

BTW...Western Michigan spends $8 Million of their $29 Million athletic budget on football.

Wisconsin spends $26 Million of their $122 Million athletic budget on football.

Rick

Shows how good my memory is. Was it a butts in the seats sellout or a tickets sold sell out? Either way, that's your cap for attendance if we drop down to form a new FCS league.

11 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

That "constituency" would shrink considerably if we voluntarily moved to a lower division of football... Again...

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

26 minutes ago, outoftown said:

Excellent article.However, I envision 3 divisions after 2025, which I probable won't live long enough to see. Think high school divisions:6A,5A,4A. Division 1,Texas;1A,UNT, 1AA,Sam Houston. Power 5 conferences could play Group of 5 schools, but not 1AA. Group of 5 schools could play both D1, and 1AA . Existing 1AA schools could play only 1A programs,but not Division 1.

• Downvote 1

No to the G5 playoff.  Sue the bastards is a great hope, but I wonder how many G5 Presidents/Chancellors/decision makers come from P5 backgrounds?  That obviously muddies the ability to unite.  Who cares about the ADs, this is a top level brass only decision/discussion.

I hate to root for this scenario, but I think if Houston just absolutely comes crashing down (think serious financial issues) from the $100M+ and growing deficit that you could build your case on one school, and not need the rest to band together....IF they can keep it from being pinned on incompetence by their Pres.  Think about it.  They went all in, spent the money, and crashed out because they had no access to the big time TV $$ that P5s are gifted (some earn, others are gifted).  Mind you, I think Houston was stupid to spend so much money that they didn't have.  But for this argument, they seem like the poster child.

Edited by TIgreen01
  • Upvote 2

On January 4, 2017 at 2:58 PM, TIgreen01 said:

No to the G5 playoff.  Sue the bastards is a great hope, but I wonder how many G5 Presidents/Chancellors/decision makers come from P5 backgrounds?  That obviously muddies the ability to unite.  Who cares about the ADs, this is a top level brass only decision/discussion.

I hate to root for this scenario, but I think if Houston just absolutely comes crashing down (think serious financial issues) from the $100M+ and growing deficit that you could build your case on one school, and not need the rest to band together....IF they can keep it from being pinned on incompetence by their Pres.  Think about it.  They went all in, spent the money, and crashed out because they had no access to the big time TV $$ that P5s are gifted (some earn, others are gifted).  Mind you, I think Houston was stupid to spend so much money that they didn't have.  But for this argument, they seem like the poster child.

They could choose to go it alone, but unity is always better, and it helps split the cost of a certain long and drawn out legal battle.

• Upvote 2