MGB: Five thoughts on UNT's loss to Army

Brett Vito

My thoughts:

I knew playing a team a second time was very risky

Could Army be the best foe that CUSA played in a bowl?

Best game NT has played since the first Army game

A loss, but still not a bad ending to a promising season

Morris was the man today

Defense just gave up too many long plays

Going to miss the punter and kicker

Great NT crowd, somewhat disappointing in Army's support

Thought Army got away with a lot of questionable plays that could have been penalties

This game definitely could have been a NT victory despite a horrible defensive start

Didn't see any of the quit that occurred in El Paso

Looking forward to next football season

• Upvote 7

5 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

My thoughts:

I knew playing a team a second time was very risky

Could Army be the best foe that CUSA played in a bowl?

Best game NT has played since the first Army game

A loss, but still not a bad ending to a promising season

Morris was the man today

Defense just gave up too many long plays

Going to miss the punter and kicker

Great NT crowd, somewhat disappointing in Army's support

Thought Army got away with a lot of questionable plays that could have been penalties

This game definitely could have been a NT victory despite a horrible defensive start

Didn't see any of the quit that occurred in El Paso

Looking forward to next football season

Great points.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, GTWT said:

One more point - UNT coaches called a great game.  I loved the fake punt and, even when it didn't succeed, 4th down tries

Except that super costly WR pass. That seemed like a desperate play, when in reality we were down by three with the ball on their side of the field, and if I remember correctly it was second down.

I also would have been okay with a bit more passing. Morris was rolling for the most part, and other than some drops by the WRs, we were carving up their D pretty well.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, MeanGreenDan said:

Except that super costly WR pass. That seemed like a desperate play, when in reality we were down by three with the ball on their side of the field, and if I remember correctly it was second down.

I also would have been okay with a bit more passing. Morris was rolling for the most part, and other than some drops by the WRs, we were carving up their D pretty well.

Morris had a great game and was really zipping the ball with confidence. Would of liked to seen a stacked backfield for protection and let him pick them apart! The 1/2 time D adjustments made a big difference! Next year a sell out?? Gmg 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GTWT said:

One more point - UNT coaches called a great game.  I loved the fake punt and, even when it didn't succeed, 4th down tries

Overall, I liked the way the game was coached, but there were still some things they could have done a lot better.

It has been mentioned earlier this season, but the inability to get 1 or 2 yards lining up under center.  Trying to get a yard or 2 in the shotgun will continue to haunt this team in the future, if they continue this.  And morris is a big QB that can QB sneak.  Should have at least been added for him.

Didn't like the defense.  They were able to get stops in the second half, but that was only due to army being predictable.  We should have brought 1 saftey up occasionally to help out, or even added an extra guy on the line.  Don't just sit there and watch this predictable offense continue to get 4 or 5 yards on 1st down.  Do something.

• Upvote 1

I recorded and watched the game again last night.  I think a huge contribution of Jeffrey Wilson that was overlooked was his pass protection.  I hope he pukes in every game next year if it leads to that type of effort.  He should have inspired the entire team.  He was awesome.

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I recorded and watched the game again last night.  I think a huge contribution of Jeffrey Wilson that was overlooked was his pass protection.  I hope he pukes in every game next year if it leads to that type of effort.  He should have inspired the entire team.  He was awesome.

Should really help him out if he is trying to break into a team on the next level.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

The threat of being puked on might slow down some pass rushers.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, MeanGreenDan said:

The results of that play were obviously costly. Personally, I liked the aggressive call going for the "dagger" as we had all the momentum at the time. Watching the recording, Thompson was wide open early, and the (hate to beat this drum again - but it is a very common theme from this season) poor blocking that lead to an Army defender being in the backfield to disrupt Tyler Wilson's timing and vision to execute the throw. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, MeanGreenDan said:

The problem with a trick play where someone other than the QB throws the ball is that the passer doesn't have the experience to know to throw the ball away rather than to throw into double (triple?) coverage.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, GOMG2013 said:

It has been mentioned earlier this season, but the inability to get 1 or 2 yards lining up under center.  Trying to get a yard or 2 in the shotgun will continue to haunt this team in the future, if they continue this.  And morris is a big QB that can QB sneak.  Should have at least been added for him.

Yeah, it's probably wrong, but it seems like we did better getting 3rd and long than we did 3rd and short. 

On the defense, I feel a lot of the problems were with discipline. Watching some of the replays, guys ignored their containment responsibilities trying to make a big defensive play, and they got punished. 

Your WR pass reminded me our our WR pass against Navy in 2015.  The only major difference was how much time was left in the game.

Army vs Navy, 2015:  Army down 4 with 2 minutes to play.  2nd & 4 from the Navy 39.  Backward pass to WR, thrown into double coverage, intercepted at the 3 yard line.

North Texas vs Army, 2016: UNT down 3 with 13 minutes to play.  2nd & 6 from the Army 46.  Reverse to WR, thrown into double coverage, intercepted at the 4 yard line.