Silver lining

emmitt01

Right with you. With the last HoD Bowl, I wasn't sure Mac could reload what Dodge left behind and with the few great finds Mac made on his own. With Littrell, even if his record is just a bit better at the end of this year vs Mac's first year, I think I've seen signs that say he'll keep the talent coming both on the field and in the coaching staff.

• Upvote 5

15 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

Even though they all say it's not about the money, it always seems like it is about the money. 

BTW, nice job on the National Anthem today. 

Damn, was that Emmitt singing the national anthem?  That was, if not the best, one of the 2 or 3 best renditions of that I've heard.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

1 minute ago, tmjerm said:

I won't be mad at Seth if this is just a stepping stone for him.  I think that's the most realistic thing.  That being said, I'm so glad to hear those things from someone who knows him well.  

I don't think any of us would be mad if he did leave. SL honestly has changed a ton just within this past year. His first press conference he seemed nervous, and now he is out joking around with them. If SL does get bought out, then it makes the job even more attractive to other coaches. Anyone here would make the jump within their career.

I'm just hoping everyone realizes we played out of our mind this year, and that we still need to keep our predictions in line with where they should be. while 5 wins was great, Yes we got to a bowl game, but I think we need to focus on conference play. 

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, HoustonEagle said:

Seth has a lot of recruiting to do before I anoint him the second coming.  I do like what I see so far.  

If a P5 comes along and offers him 3+ million he his gone.  You would be too.  

Nobody said a single thing about him being the second coming.  I said he was a stand up guy and that he means to finish what he started. 

• Upvote 7

19 hours ago, eulessismore said:

Damn, was that Emmitt singing the national anthem?  That was, if not the best, one of the 2 or 3 best renditions of that I've heard.

Agree. There is a great close-up of the officer who sang the Anthem on the ESPN broadcast. I am watching the replay now. Spoiler alert...it was NOT Emmitt.

There is name info given but it went over my head.  I rewind later and check.

UPDATE: I was in error, in that ESPN didn't identify the vocalist/DPD officer, probably because they cut to the broadcast after the Anthem had begun. From a close frontal shot that included his name badge, it looked like the first initial was "C" and his last name could have been "Vaughn"; it was hard to read. I rewound and paused several times but can't be sure. Sorry. When the camera cut to the Cadets, I saw one turn to another while clapping and read his lips..."He is really good!".

Edited by EagleMBA
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, UTSA Fan said:

Couldn't it be matched?

could be but not sure UNT would match it. If someone hires him I think they re-invest that buyout $ into the program but who knows. I'm sure we will see an increase in spending or opening up of funds. I know the Ath. Dept. was having to pay off Apogee instead of the school so that was coming out of the budget. But we know about them wanting to build an indoor practice facility along with developing their athletic food nut. as well. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

could be but not sure UNT would match it. If someone hires him I think they re-invest that buyout $ into the program but who knows. I'm sure we will see an increase in spending or opening up of funds. I know the Ath. Dept. was having to pay off Apogee instead of the school so that was coming out of the budget. But we know about them wanting to build an indoor practice facility along with developing their athletic food nut. as well. 

An IPF is $ for recruiting. Great choice.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Christopher Walker said:

More silver linings...

The last time we went 5-8 in a season, the following three saw consecutive bowl runs as well...

Germans, Pearl Harbor, etc... But technically, no team other than us this year has ever finished 5-8 in a season. We went 5-7 back in 01. 

To me, there's a lot of silver linings

a. Great Turnout by fans.  A lot of these fans (unfortunately) probably don't come to Denton on a regular basis.  Today's game will bring more fans to Denton.

b. Game was ESPN, and UNT hung in there, and almost beat a damn good Army team.  GREAT EXPOSURE for Recruiting!!!!

• Upvote 5

12 minutes ago, Christopher Walker said:

Wait, only 11 games that year?

Yes. 12 game regular season is a fairly new deal. 

If memory serves... We were the first team to make it to a bowl with a losing record. And we're the first 5-7 bowl team to lose their game and finish 5-8. Hawaii is the only team able to play a 13 game regular season, and they've never done it. 

26 minutes ago, TheTastyGreek said:

If memory serves... We were the first team to make it to a bowl with a losing record. And we're the first 5-7 bowl team to lose their game and finish 5-8. Hawaii is the only team able to play a 13 game regular season, and they've never done it. 

We weren't the first, but we were the first in quite awhile.  I believe there was an SMU team that made a Bowl with like 4 wins in the 1970's.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

I really think SL is at home here at UNT, and would hopefully be our Gary Patterson. I think SL dream jobs are OU and OSU, with him wanting OU. 

I also, think its helps that WB and SL seem to have something between them as well. 

That would be great if he was the Gary Patterson of unt that man is loyal to TCU and I hope SL loyal to the Mean Green 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TheTastyGreek said:

Hawaii played 13 games this regular season then won their bowl game to finish 7-7.

11 hours ago, TheTastyGreek said:

Hawaii is the only team able to play a 13 game regular season, and they've never done it. 

Any team that plays a game at Hawai'i is allowed to play a 13-game regular season.  Otherwise, the 2003 Army team would not have been able to go 0-13.

(0-13.  Woo hoo, a record! )