Bowl Season over now onto Recruiting Season

BTG_Fan1

How can we fan help out in Recruiting? 

I know its most likely here already in the Forum, but could we get a quick refresher for everyone as what is allowed and not allowed in terms of fan/alumni/student/donor/ etc interaction with possibly recruits? 

I feel like with the huge fan base, and even if its mostly just limited to us on here that keep up with recruiting. What can we do to help out the coaches and program? We already know about emailing the staff about possible recruits, along with tweeting the coaches about the player or players to the coach. But can we tweet kids about Denton, about UNT, even tweet/tag them in posts reminding them about the campus? 

But one thing that I think we need to start to do is when we someone is offered, is even send the recruit pictures of the campus, info about the school, playing time, etc. (If this is allowed) I'm not sure it helped with us in landing Ham-bone but he put up a twitter poll asking people for input and alot of people voted and posted comments as to why UNT or other schools as well. If we are able to keep UNT on the mind of some of these kids that would be a great help to the staff. Also, I think all of these kids want to be part of something special and us embracing them should help. 

36 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

So not sure who all is a booster here, but a good read. 

Well you are posting here, and since this board was created to promote the universities academic programs, you are a booster.  

Here is what the NCAA considers permissible contact:

• Notify university coaching staff members about noteworthy prospects in the area.
  • Attend high school or two-year college athletic contests or other events where prospects may compete, provided no contact occurs.
  • Continue existing friendships.

If you don't already know a recruit, make no contact, at all.  Do not message any of them via social media

3 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Well you are posting here, and since this board was created to promote the universities academic programs, you are a booster.  

Here is what the NCAA considers permissible contact:

If you don't already know a recruit, make no contact, at all.  Do not message any of them via social media

Okay well that is good to know the first part. I had no idea all of us would be considered boosters. I only thought boosters were people who gave $ to UNT. 

2nd, what exactly is messaging? Not to try and be smart but it just a standard tweet? or is direct messages on twitter? 

9 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Okay well that is good to know the first part. I had no idea all of us would be considered boosters. I only thought boosters were people who gave $ to UNT. 

2nd, what exactly is messaging? Not to try and be smart but it just a standard tweet? or is direct messages on twitter? 

Coaches are only allowed to like and retweet.  NCAA hasn't ruled on exactly what is permissible for fans to do on social media, but at the VERY most I think fans could be allowed to like and re-tweet.  I don't think @s or DMs are a good idea.  

29 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Coaches are only allowed to like and retweet.  NCAA hasn't ruled on exactly what is permissible for fans to do on social media, but at the VERY most I think fans could be allowed to like and re-tweet.  I don't think @s or DMs are a good idea.  

Completely agree. I think favorites and retweets are where fans can help, though. I think volume is where our impact can be made, like with the poll from La'Darius Hamilton that you mentioned. If recruits see a substantial number of votes/retweets/favorites from a specific fan base they might be impressed which could matter to some.

I really doubt vigilante recruiting efforts are going to sell recruits on choosing a school. Generally speaking, I tend to just lean towards leaving the recruiting in the hands of the coaches.

• Upvote 1

Some ways I think we can aid recruiting without contacting them directly...

• financially supporting the Mean Green Club to increase the recruiting budget.
  • showing up to create an atmosphere that's attractive to recruits.
  • promoting its official social media efforts
  • giving careful consideration to the way thoughts are expressed on this message board
Edited by jdennis82
  • Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

12 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Wow, well you say you want to help in recruiting, but you don't give money to MGC or UNT. I'd say start there!

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 3

2 hours ago, MeanGreenDan said:

Wow, well you say you want to help in recruiting, but you don't give money to MGC or UNT. I'd say start there!

I mean some of us still are paying off our college debt, looking for jobs, trying to buy houses, etc. Some people can only offer support outside of financial, which is perfectly fine. We support UNT every month by making that student loan payment. If I had excess to donate to UNT I would.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

5 hours ago, MeanGreenDan said:

LOL well i figured most everyone already knew about that on here.. and i'm currently a student that has plenty of time outside of school and work that I would have been willing to learn the graphic design stuff/ other things if I was allowed too, but since I'm on here and technically considered a booster, never mind then 

• Upvote 1

Boosters, referred to by the NCAA as “representatives of the institution’s athletic interests,” include anyone who has:

• Provided a donation in order to obtain season tickets for any sport at the university.
  • Participated in or has been a member of an organization promoting the university’s athletics programs.
  • Made financial contributions to the athletic department or to a university booster organization.
  • Arranged for or provided employment for enrolled student-athletes.
  • Assisted or has been requested by university staff to assist in the recruitment of prospective student-athletes.
  • Assisted in providing benefits to enrolled student athletes or their families.
  • Been involved otherwise in promoting university athletics.

Once an individual is identified as a “representative of the institution’s athletics interests,” the person retains that identity forever.

As a booster, you may not:

• Contact a prospect in-person on-campus or off campus.
  • Contact a prospect by telephone, email, Internet or letter.
  • Provide gifts or free or reduced-cost services to a prospect or the prospect’s relatives or guardian.
  • Employ relatives, guardians or friends of a prospect as an inducement for the prospect’s enrollment and athletics participation at a university.
  • Become directly or indirectly involved in making arrangements for a prospect or the prospect’s relatives or guardian to receive money or financial aid of any kind.
  • Provide transportation for a prospect or the prospect’s relatives or guardian.
  • Provide free or reduced-cost tickets for a prospect or the prospect’s relatives or guardian to attend an athletic event.
  • Provide any material benefit (e.g., meals, cash) to the coach of a prospect, including high school, two-year college, AAU and summer team coaches.

Read the entire site: http://www.ncaa.org/enforcement/role-boosters

• Upvote 1

Not that we're Baylor, this is just one example I found.  Click his profile and scroll, he's retweeted close to 50 people who's congratulated him on Baylor commitment most appear to be Baylor fans or alum.  How does NCAA police this??

@GMG24 I have been wondering the same thing. Some fan bases that are very apparently on twitter is Iowa and Utah. I noticed this when looking a few recruits that we have similar to them, and the fans have tweeted graphics, encouragement(even when kids have de-committed), among other things.

But I'm glad we found out that all of us are condsidered "boosters" and that we hadn't done anything yet. Was just hoping to put out some ideas as a way for us help out the school and keep these recruits interested in UNT

• Upvote 1