MGB breaking news -- Willy Ivery out for HOD Bowl

Brett Vito

3 hours ago, South Texas Green said:

That's a good question. I didn't know so I looked it up. Here's a snippet from the NCAA website.

The APR is calculated as follows:

• Each student-athlete receiving athletically related financial aid earns one point for staying in school and one point for being academically eligible.
  • A team’s total points are divided by points possible and then multiplied by 1,000 to equal the team’s Academic Progress Rate.
  • In addition to a team’s current-year APR, its rolling four-year APR is also used to determine accountability.

The APR is basically about retaining players not GPA's.  It started out really punishing those schools that had a lot of player turnover no matter what the reason.   With the major goal of keeping teams from running off players as well as emphasizing the importance of the recruitment of players that can maintain academic eligibility.   Now, I think it is more flexible about letting players transfer without being a negative in the computation of the APR.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

The APR is basically about retaining players not GPA's.  It started out really punishing those schools that had a lot of player turnover no matter what the reason.   With the major goal of keeping teams from running off players as well as emphasizing the importance of the recruitment of players that can maintain academic eligibility.   Now, I think it is more flexible about letting players transfer without being a negative in the computation of the APR.  

And since it's about eligibility and "NCAA eligibility" has almost nothing to do with actually being on track to graduate, you shouldn't bother to think about APR as being related to graduation rate either.

8 hours ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Didn't they keep the same academic support staff McCarney had in place?  Or, did they dump that just because it was McCarney's?

th?id=OIP.M3e91a39940e04fbd83ec8dbc303c6You can lead a horse to water...

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Yes...so, how did McCarney lead the the horses to water and make them drink?

Wasn't Ivery held out of Spring practice for grades as well? Seems like that was on McCarney and his staff, and they are the ones that recruited him. Hope he gets it right, both for his future beyond football and the impact he can have on the program on the field.

• Downvote 2

7 hours ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Yes...so, how did McCarney lead the the horses to water and make them drink?

Short of red and black wires applied strategically to nether regions, some guys don't get with the program. It seems to happen all over. I thought McCarney and staff did an exceptional job without resorting to the above.

• Upvote 1

On 12/27/2016 at 9:45 AM, meangreenacct said:

Wasn't Ivery held out of Spring practice for grades as well? Seems like that was on McCarney and his staff, and they are the ones that recruited him. Hope he gets it right, both for his future beyond football and the impact he can have on the program on the field.

Yes, yes he was! He even said he leaned his lesson and was really going to try harder.... ABOUT THAT.?!.?!.?!.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

48 minutes ago, THOR said:

Just because you try harder does not equate to being successful 100% of the time...

I don't know the kid personally, never met him, but if his life was anything like this (and I know it was) maybe this provides some insight into possible issues he faced, especially if he wasn't a good time manager.  

while I know there are people who will say yes, but there are students who work full time and get it done.  Yes there sure are and there are plenty who work full time who have to re take classes because they weren't successful in those classes.  Count me as one who had to re take a few classes because of my work and class schedule and simply not having the time to put into all of the classes and slipping in one.  While he has shown this to be an issue more than once I don't think he should be thrown to the wolves either.  Just my two cents. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

41 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

I don't know the kid personally, never met him, but if his life was anything like this (and I know it was) maybe this provides some insight into possible issues he faced, especially if he wasn't a good time manager.  

while I know there are people who will say yes, but there are students who work full time and get it done.  Yes there sure are and there are plenty who work full time who have to re take classes because they weren't successful in those classes.  Count me as one who had to re take a few classes because of my work and class schedule and simply not having the time to put into all of the classes and slipping in one.  While he has shown this to be an issue more than once I don't think he should be thrown to the wolves either.  Just my two cents. 

Yea my thoughts are more around I hope he can get through it so his future can benefit from a college degree, football is just temporary.

• Upvote 1

On 12/23/2016 at 8:58 PM, Graddean said:

You do have to maintain a certain amount of courses toward your major.  This is one reason many players don't declare a major immediately.

Nothing about major in NCAA eligibility rules, just degree requirement measures. Like most NCAA academic standards, the bar is pretty low: 40, 60, & 80 percent through degree requirements, respectively, prior to the 3rd, 4th, and 5th year of enrollment.

Those standards are another reason to redshirt. 

Edited by BeatNavy