San Diego (12/22/2016)

Army of Dad

27 minutes ago, KRAM1 said:

Brice had a boot on his foot before the game. I am guessing he has some sort of injury to his ankle/foot.  Might have accounted for some of his lack of minutes.

Bottom line...we got hosed on that charging foul.  I was near that basket at the time watching with a UNT HOF-er BB player and we both saw it as a no-call and a rip! That ref had been on UNT all game.  Too bad a ref determined the outcome of this game.  Mean Green really came back hard to take a late lead.  One stop and the win is Mean Green.  One stop...

Much Much more than just one stop, but you can definitely say that stop didn't help UNT's chances.  What killed UNT was getting bullied on the boards, and constantly getting abused on the defensive end of the court by a fluid, well run offense.  Same way Denver used to make us (far superior athletically speaking) look pretty silly defensively because they played basketball the right way.  Not the one on one stuff Benford ball has these guys doing.  One guy dribbles either gets a ball screen or just takes his man, 3 other guys spot up on perimeter and try to kick and shoot.  If we were half the disciplined offense that San Diego was we would have won that game by 20 IMO.  I do admit I left at half, I couldn't take much more.  Maybe if I didn't show up we would have won.  Anywho just my two cents and I LOVE basketball.  During my time at UNT as a student I never missed a game, made the Tech game and the trip to OKC to watch the tournament game.   FWIW I said some pretty similar stuff when JJ was here, he manufactured offense through sets but once you play teams who really put in the work on film you MUST have a motion offense where there is no way to know what you're going to do.  That or you better be one of the best in the NCAA at Transition offense and beat everyone down the floor.  Anyway glad the boys are still fighting, just upsetting we can't get more out of such a talented group.  

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

14 hours ago, GMG24 said:

I left at half time... that san diego team was giving up like 75 a game and we had 25 at half! These guys run 0 offense, San Diego had inferior athletes and they made us look silly time and again because they RAN AN OFFENSE.  Wow. First game back, sat in traffic for 45 minutes to watch that.  No thanks on going back.  

You expected something different?

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Hunter Green said:

You expected something different?

No I didn't I really just wanted to see how good Woolridge was at the College level, saw him play in HS and thought he'd be pretty special he confirmed what I thought.  Also wanted to see the difference in Frazier from SMU to UNT. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

No I didn't I really just wanted to see how good Woolridge was at the College level, saw him play in HS and thought he'd be pretty special he confirmed what I thought.  Also wanted to see the difference in Frazier from SMU to UNT. 

It's a shame that these good players come here, yet their talent is squandered by a coach that can't do anything with it. We should be better than we are.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

5 hours ago, Army of Dad said:

I'd guess it was from the massive amount of elbows thrown all game and the douchetastic actions of #3 after the charge call at the end of the game. Benford and their head coach appeared to exchange some word and #12 was talking smack after the buzzer. 

Man number three led with that elbow all game and the refs let it slide! He should have fouled out on offensive fouls alone... you cannot lead with your arm but he kept it low often (still offensive foul) which I guess the ref didn't see. The refs were horrible but it doesn't make the loss ok. Missing a open dunk, missing free throws, a terrible turnover, and letting a guy get a wide open shot near the end of the game also all cost us this one. Hopefully they get angry and start puting a body on someone when the ball goes up! Number 20 and 32 crashed the boards the second the ball went up while our guys were busy standing around. 

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Here is the video:

Looked like a good call to me. Benford was insistent in the post-game interview that Neubauer was in the restricted zone, but he clearly wasn't by a good bit. I think Benford's reaction stems from knowing he is running very low on losses at this point.

23 hours ago, GreenMachine said:

Every loss is another nail in the coffin for Benford. Just a matter of time.

I remember thinking this back in the 2013-2014 season. Benford is still here, yet none of the players on the roster that year are.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Here is the video:

Looked like a good call to me. Benford was insistent in the post-game interview that Neubauer was in the restricted zone, but he clearly wasn't by a good bit. I think Benford's reaction stems from knowing he is running very low on losses at this point.

I remember thinking this back in the 2013-2014 season. Benford is still here, yet none of the players on the roster that year are.

But the big difference is this is the last year on his contract, no buyout at all.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

44 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Here is the video:

Absolutely was a charge, defender was in legal guarding position and offensive player left his feet out of control.

Moral of the story is that if you schedule a mediocre team like this at home  to pad your win total, it shouldn't come down to the last play of the game to decide the outcome. 

Edited by shootermcgavin44
  • Upvote 2

might be time for benford to go, we are not going to do well in conference play anyway

11 hours ago, shootermcgavin44 said:

Absolutely was a charge, defender was in legal guarding position and offensive player left his feet out of control.

Moral of the story is that if you schedule a mediocre team like this at home  to pad your win total, it shouldn't come down to the last play of the game to decide the outcome. 

if we can could only be mediocre we would have a better record.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

And the 3 pointer that 3 "pushed off with his forearm/elbow" wasn't a push off either he didn't extend it and it didn't even look like he touched him. A good move and a better shot.  Pretty sad bc the talent on this team is such that we should be very competitive in CUSA.... sad day.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

On 12/23/2016 at 8:47 AM, UNT90 said:

Brice has a LONG way to go to even be an average CUSA player. 

Much less a force.

Lets see you don't go to games and you believe that Benford can't coach, but you have high NT player evaluation skills.  Brice has played enough to demonstrate he has the physical skills to play.  However, under Benford he seldom gets enough continuous minutes to develop.  One bad play and back to the bench.   In the few games that he has been a "force", he is still substituted for and usually loses his edge before the next time he enters the game.  

I would love to see what another coach can do with Brice.  Seven footers with any kind of game are rare.  Brice has better agility than most, and a decent offensive game, but he plays too far from the basket and seemingly lacks the will to try dominate the inside game.    

On a difference issue, replays clearly shows that last play was a charge.  NT players if you don't like opponents celebrating a win, than play better.  Both NT teams showed something by coming back from a 20+ point deficits, but you have to play the whole game.  

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

5 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Lets see you don't go to games and you believe that Benford can't coach, but you have high NT player evaluation skills.  Brice has played enough to demonstrate he has the physical skills to play.  However, under Benford he seldom gets enough continuous minutes to develop.  One bad play and back to the bench.   In the few games that he has been a "force", he is still substituted for and usually loses his edge before the next time he enters the game.  

I would love to see what another coach can do with Brice.  Seven footers with any kind of game are rare.  Brice has better agility than most, and a decent offensive game, but he plays too far from the basket and seemingly lacks the will to try dominate the inside game.    

On a difference issue, replays clearly shows that last play was a charge.  NT players if you don't like opponents celebrating a win, than play better.  Both NT teams showed something by coming back from a 20+ point deficits, but you have to play the whole game.  

I've seen Brice play. I agree with you that he would greatly benefit from a different coach. Maybe then he would be taught a post game. 

Look, he is a 7'0" player, but he lacks athleticism and is soft on the block. I don't need to see every game to know what I see when he posts up. Everything is a fade away or baby hook, negating the size advantage that he has. 

He needs someone to teach him a post game. So did Tony Mitchell, by the way. It's obvious this coaching staff can't teach that.

I know, I know. Combs. But Combs had those skills when he got here. 

Right now, Brice is a bit player because he isn't at the CUSA level yet.

14 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Here is the video:

Well, Billy, I'm sure it's those players' fault. All of them. 

Definitely a charge. Whether it should be called at that point in the game is another matter...

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

5 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

I've seen Brice play. I agree with you that he would greatly benefit from a different coach. Maybe then he would be taught a post game. 

Look, he is a 7'0" player, but he lacks athleticism and is soft on the block. I don't need to see every game to know what I see when he posts up. Everything is a fade away or baby hook, negating the size advantage that he has. 

He needs someone to teach him a post game. So did Tony Mitchell, by the way. It's obvious this coaching staff can't teach that.

I know, I know. Combs. But Combs had those skills when he got here. 

Right now, Brice is a bit player because he isn't at the CUSA level yet.

He does not lack athleticism, that is an asset of his not the opposite.   He does not play near aggressive enough whether that is due to fear of fouling or just lack of experience or drive; that is his primary problem.   He actually has a good mid-range game, but that is probably not an asset because he needs to stay close to the basket.   

He played at a relatively small high school and of course had no competition close to his height.   He definitely needs big guy coaching and learn to use his advantages over just about everyone he is going to play against.   His game is primarily that of a 6'8 player and most players that size are going to be a lot quicker.  He needs to forget those jump hooks and jump shoots that he is lucky if he can hit 40% and go for layups and dunks.   I actually think Benford is trying to get him to play his size and that may explain his lack of minutes.   But the primary problem that coaching should have taken place in the off-season.  Benford is in a must win situation and player development is a very low priority.   

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

He does not lack athleticism, that is an asset of his not the opposite.   He does not play near aggressive enough whether that is due to fear of fouling or just lack of experience or drive; that is his primary problem.   He actually has a good mid-range game, but that is probably not an asset because he needs to stay close to the basket.   

He played at a relatively small high school and of course had no competition close to his height.   He definitely needs big guy coaching and learn to use his advantages over just about everyone he is going to play against.   His game is primarily that of a 6'8 player and most players that size are going to be a lot quicker.  He needs to forget those jump hooks and jump shoots that he is lucky if he can hit 40% and go for layups and dunks.   I actually think Benford is trying to get him to play his size and that may explain his lack of minutes.   But the primary problem that coaching should have taken place in the off-season.  Benford is in a must win situation and player development is a very low priority.   

He couldn't teach Mitchell a post game, and Mitchell was waaaay more athletic than Brice. 

Brice also has a little of the problem that most big men have these days. They don't relish being a big. They would rather be a guard. Post game is a lost art. If you could put Combs skills in Brice's body, you would have a first round NBA pick. 

We will disagree on Brice's athleticism and agree that he needs far better coaching than he is getting. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2