What happened......?????

DeepGreen

If i were a fan of houston, i would never be able to look at that burnt orange color without flipping it off...

The big 12 teased UH and herman was on the way to being the next Gary Patterson...  UT decides it will be easier to take Herman if the UH golden ticket gets revoked and the the UT lemmings help out by unanimously voting to stay at 10...   f the corrupt p 5 monopoly

• Upvote 3

17 hours ago, SHOSS said:

If i were a fan of houston, i would never be able to look at that burnt orange color without flipping it off...

The big 12 teased UH and herman was on the way to being the next Gary Patterson...  UT decides it will be easier to take Herman if the UH golden ticket gets revoked and the the UT lemmings help out by unanimously voting to stay at 10...   f the corrupt p 5 monopoly

The joke is on those morons...without a conference championship game, it will be extremely rare for their "one true champion" to ever reach the playoff without going undefeated unless it expands to 6 or 8. When they even have one champion, that is....

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, UTSA Fan said:

I think as soon as the LHN deal expires the B12 is gone. The smart $ should look to position themselves for the post crater reorganization.

Although I think it is distinct possibility that the Big 12 dies along with the LHN deal but I wouldn't be so sure.  Especially if Texas stops being so greedy and accept that they can't function as an independent program within a conference.  A Big 12 network deal at the end of the LHN contract might save the conference.  With the recent moves Fox to acquire more college football programing, I think NBC would be interested in a Big 12 package if their current deals come to an end around the same time as the LHN.  Houston needs power partners in a post LHN/Big 12 landscape and SMU doesn't count.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Houston is fine in the AAC.  They need to understand and accept that.  Along the MWC, it is the only other G5 that could crack the "playoff."  Would the Big 12 mean more money?  Yes.  But, not forever.  It will die when Texas and OU (and Kansas' basketball) abandon it sometime within the next decade.

San Diego State's Rocky Long is a really good, really underrated coach.  Always has been.  He's taken the Aztecs to bowl games in each of his six seasons.  Go back to his last seven seasons at UNM, and he's had UNM or SDSU in bowl games 11 of the past 13 years that he's coached.  

• Upvote 3

20 hours ago, JesseMartin said:

The joke is on those morons...without a conference championship game, it will be extremely rare for their "one true champion" to ever reach the playoff without going undefeated unless it expands to 6 or 8. When they even have one champion, that is....

Ohio State thinks conference championships are over rated.

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, forevereagle said:

Ohio State thinks conference championships are over rated.

That was weird too. I've been saying since before the playoff started that 8 teams would be more reasonable. That would use more of the big bowl games for the playoff too.

14 hours ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Houston is fine in the AAC.  They need to understand and accept that.  Along the MWC, it is the only other G5 that could crack the "playoff."  Would the Big 12 mean more money?  Yes.  But, not forever.  It will die when Texas and OU (and Kansas' basketball) abandon it sometime within the next decade.

So many of us tried to tell him that he s rooting for a school that will never be allowed admittance into the country club of power conferences again. The SWC was as good as it was ever going to be for them--which, in the latter years, was probably a lot like the AAC of today.

I still believe the AAC and the MWC will be allowed to have some kind of access to playing the Power Conferences down the road, particularly when the Big XII finally dies off. That will allow the Power Leagues to say they are just tightening up the schools they believe should be allowed to compete with them, thus avoiding any lawsuits or negative media coverage. The Big XII's leftovers will be in those two conferences--TCU and Baylor to the MWC and KSU and ISU to the AAC. And that will give each conference 14 members. I believe that leaves 4 places for schools in CUSA, SBC, and the MAC to move up to the next level of play in the AAC or MWC. It would be awesome if we could get in either of them, but my bet is that TCU and SMU have us blocked still from this possibility, just as they always have. Seriously, you'd think some person in a conference somewhere above us on the college football ladder would see our alumni and enrollment numbers and realize we could dwarf those two in support if we ever got the chance to play teams that people want to come watch in conference play.

4 hours ago, JesseMartin said:

That was weird too. I've been saying since before the playoff started that 8 teams would be more reasonable. That would use more of the big bowl games for the playoff too.

So, 128 divided by 8 is 16...  each 16 team conference gets their champ in the playoff...  each 8 team division winner plays in the conf championship game, so it actually works out to be a 16 team tournament....  oh wait, that makes too much sense...  nevermind, lets just continue the monopoly driven beauty contest...  carry on, nothing to see here...

• Upvote 6

15 hours ago, SHOSS said:

So, 128 divided by 8 is 16...  each 16 team conference gets their champ in the playoff...  each 8 team division winner plays in the conf championship game, so it actually works out to be a 16 team tournament....  oh wait, that makes too much sense...  nevermind, lets just continue the monopoly driven beauty contest...  carry on, nothing to see here...

That is so simple and it actually makes sense....

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, SHOSS said:

8 hours ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

That is so simple and it actually makes sense....

Pretty much. The only exception is that I do agree there should be spots for the top couple of teams, like OSU this year, to squeak in if a single upset kept them from a championship game against a 2 or 3 loss team due to tiebreaker rules. But there should be an easy combination of those 2 to make 8 teams workable.

On Monday, December 19, 2016 at 0:28 AM, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Houston is fine in the AAC.  They need to understand and accept that.  

Some of us Houston fans do. I do not understand the fascination with trying to get into a conference where we are so blatantly not wanted. I understand the money and exposure, but enough, already. UT despises us and will do whatever they can to get us out of their way. Who wants a conference mate that manipulative and underhanded?

And that's not sour grapes from Herman leaving.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

10 hours ago, RushnStudies said:

Some of us Houston fans do. I do not understand the fascination with trying to get into a conference where we are so blatantly not wanted. I understand the money and exposure, but enough, already. UT despises us and will do whatever they can to get us out of their way. Who wants a conference mate that manipulative and underhanded?

And that's not sour grapes from Herman leaving.

The Coogs would have crawled across broken glass to get a P5 invite. They would have been tickled to have a douchetastic conference mate like Tu (should be used to it after having Smut all these years).

Those are very much sour grapes, maybe more from being told 'no' than for the coach going P5 without you, but sour grapes all the same.

• Upvote 1

So with 8 teams? The championship teams have to play a total of three games extra outside their conference championship and regular schedule, etc?

16 team playoff is what, 4 game playoff for the champion?

Have to consider how much we're putting these guys through already for our entertainment, and for the revenue of the NCAA and conference administrators.