Bob Stoops, Joe Castiglione and David Boren should be fired

This is a video just released of OU player Joe Mixon basically knocking out a girl from Euless.  Stoops, Castiglione and Boren watched this video, and instead of kicking this monster off the team, he basically got a redshirt year...  Wow.  Unbelievable.

Sadly, Boren, Castiglione, and Stoops all have daughters and let this thing slide.

By the way, OU keeps lying about Mixon's suspension.  During the 2014 season, he was spotted by media on the OU sideline during the first few games.  They called Stoops on it; only after did Mixon stop standing on the sidelines.

OU then allowed him to begin participating in team workouts in February of 2015; and he played in their spring game that year.

BUT, Oklahoma keeps saying Mixon was suspended for "one year."  It's a lie.  I doubt he was ever really suspended from the team.

Essentially, they let him redshirt as  "punishment."  

It's a crock.  OU should be ashamed.  But, of course, they are  not - they are still justifying their (in)action following the incident.

Pathetic.

Edited by MeanGreenMailbox
  • Upvote 5

5 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Suspended, he should have faced criminal charges. 

He did but got a complete slap on the wrist...ridiculous. He said he wasn't drunk or under the influence of anything. Don't understand how it's even possible to lose your cool like that. Don't know about everyone else, but I feel like almost all of my friends and I had at least one situation in college where someone was really drunk and doing similar things like that girl in the video...the correct response was never to put a hand on them...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

10 hours ago, eagle2014 said:

I disagree, if the girl didn't hit him first she wouldn't have gotten hit. 

You are wrong! There is never, ever any reason to hit a girl. Ever. If I were that girls father, Mixon should be worried. Very worried.

10 hours ago, Harry said:

This is a video just released of OU player Joe Mixon basically knocking out a girl from Euless.  Stoops, Castiglione and Boren watched this video, and instead of kicking this monster off the team, he basically got a redshirt year...  Wow.  Unbelievable.

Anyone notice the time on the clock? If accurate, that just reinforces the notion that nothing good happens after midnight.

• Upvote 3

I don't understand the world today. All about equality until it isn't. If a dude punched Mixon and he punches back it is self defense. If a girl punches Micon and he instinctively punches back it is assault. Why has it become ok for a woman to haul off and punch a man? I understand he is bigger and stronger and shouldn't have punched her but why is it ok for her to punch because she is smaller and weaker? Physical violence is ok provided you're a woman? It's just like the Amber Battle deal at Tech. You put your hand in the mouth of a lion and then get surprised when he bites. 

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 9

11 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

I don't understand the world today. All about equality until it isn't. If a dude punched Mixon and he punches back it is self defense. If a girl punches Micon and he instinctively punches back it is assault. Why has it become ok for a woman to haul off and punch a man? I understand he is bigger and stronger and shouldn't have punched her but why is it ok for her to punch because she is smaller and weaker? Physical violence is ok provided you're a woman? It's just like the Amber Battle deal at Tech. You put your hand in the mouth of a lion and then get surprised when he bites. 

So, you'd be OK with it if this were your daughter? The problem with the world is that men and women are not equal. Physically. Do you really think this guy was threatened by her? She didn't hit him, she pushed him. Big difference here. He is an animal and if you can't see the difference, I feel sorry for you.

Edited by Hunter Green
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

Alright, let me preface all this by saying that I believe no respectable person would lose their cool like this and, if you did, it should haunt your conscience pretty much forever. And regardless of society's shifting stance on the matter (and whether it's right or wrong), I personally treat women different than men in many circumstances. But for the sake of playing Devil's Advocate and holding a mirror up to our words, I'll say:

8 hours ago, MeanGreenDan said:

You're a horrible person.

Easy with the hyperbole. It [shouldn't be] so black-and-white in today's world. What he said is in line with what many women's rights activists would say.

7 hours ago, risinggreen said:

You're so right. Unless the much physically weaker individual possesses a deadly weapon, there is ZERO sane reason to go all out against someone in that situation. That crazy coward should be locked up.   

I noticed the phrase you elected to use here. Is that truly how broadly it should be applied? So if it were a let's say 5'6" 150 lb guy who took the first swing at this, I don't know, 6'0" 200 lb guy, the bigger guy should still just take it on the chin? Also curious - what if this kid was raised in a home where his father beat his mother? That doesn't mean that hitting is suddenly the right way to solve arguments, but it could mean that it's the only way he's ever seen it done.  So is he crazy and worthless then, or does it mean he needs better mentoring? Again, mentoring shouldn't necessarily mean a full ride scholarship, but maybe the time and effort put into punishing him should be appropriate but minimal and the time and effort put into making him better should be great. 

1 hour ago, Hunter Green said:

You are wrong! There is never, ever any reason to hit a girl. Ever. If I were that girls father, Mixon should be worried. Very worried.

Anyone notice the time on the clock? If accurate, that just reinforces the notion that nothing good happens after midnight.

there is a comedian I like who actually addresses this specific statement. He says, "so let's say your wife is drowning your three kids when you get home. She's already got one and two when you get there and she's starting on number three. Could you give her a little smack then?" Dark, I know, but the point, again, is that it's not so black-and-white as we commonly make it seem on social media. And yeah, I am astounded that this occurrence didn'the result in a posse being formed, considering it happened in Oklahoma.

I hope life brings him the punishment he deserves (but he also learns to be a better person) and I hope she quickly finds peace and a happy life. Again, I just wanted to point out that we watched sixty seconds of video, deemed him "evil", her "innocent", and silently agreed to chastise anyone who spoke a remotely different narrative.  That is a sillily simplistic approach to an incredibly complex world.  Just my two (or so) cents. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3

Some real stupidity on this thread.  I assume if a 4 year old hit you, you get to respond with your best punch.  Forget the boy/girl angle; this is just brutality.  

I don't see how the coaching staff, fellow players, and OU would want this thug to represent their school.                                                        

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

40 minutes ago, Tyler Maryak said:

Alright, let me preface all this by saying that I believe no respectable person would lose their cool like this and, if you did, it should haunt your conscience pretty much forever. And regardless of society's shifting stance on the matter (and whether it's right or wrong), I personally treat women different than men in many circumstances. But for the sake of playing Devil's Advocate and holding a mirror up to our words, I'll say:

Easy with the hyperbole. It [shouldn't be] so black-and-white in today's world. What he said is in line with what many women's rights activists would say.

I noticed the phrase you elected to use here. Is that truly how broadly it should be applied? So if it were a let's say 5'6" 150 lb guy who took the first swing at this, I don't know, 6'0" 200 lb guy, the bigger guy should still just take it on the chin? Also curious - what if this kid was raised in a home where his father beat his mother? That doesn't mean that hitting is suddenly the right way to solve arguments, but it could mean that it's the only way he's ever seen it done.  So is he crazy and worthless then, or does it mean he needs better mentoring? Again, mentoring shouldn't necessarily mean a full ride scholarship, but maybe the time and effort put into punishing him should be appropriate but minimal and the time and effort put into making him better should be great. 

there is a comedian I like who actually addresses this specific statement. He says, "so let's say your wife is drowning your three kids when you get home. She's already got one and two when you get there and she's starting on number three. Could you give her a little smack then?" Dark, I know, but the point, again, is that it's not so black-and-white as we commonly make it seem on social media. And yeah, I am astounded that this occurrence didn'the result in a posse being formed, considering it happened in Oklahoma.

I hope life brings him the punishment he deserves (but he also learns to be a better person) and I hope she quickly finds peace and a happy life. Again, I just wanted to point out that we watched sixty seconds of video, deemed him "evil", her "innocent", and silently agreed to chastise anyone who spoke a remotely different narrative.  That is a sillily simplistic approach to an incredibly complex world.  Just my two (or so) cents. 

I agree with this.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Tyler Maryak said:

So, you compare mass murder to a push and a 3 year old's slap? Seriously? Re-read what you wrote. 

And by your standards, sexual abusing a child should be met with understanding and only counseling if the abuser himself was sexually abused as a child. No one grows up in a vacuum. 

You walk away. You don't follow her into the restaurant and confront her. 

But now he has been taught that it's ok. Feel sorry for whoever he marries.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

19 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

So, you compare mass murder to a push and a 3 year old's slap? Seriously? Re-read what you wrote. 

And by your standards, sexual abusing a child should be met with understanding and only counseling if the abuser himself was sexually abused as a child. No one grows up in a vacuum. 

You walk away. You don't follow her into the restaurant and confront her. 

But now he has been taught that it's ok. Feel sorry for whoever he marries.

I re-read what I wrote. What I said was not that this girl was drowning children, I said that suggesting that there is "never" a circumstance where x, y, or z is okay is an exaggeration. I said we shouldn't be so hyperbolic and, ironically, the response I received was monumentally hyperbolic. I clearly said he should receive punishment and it's likely that the punishment he received wasn't appropriate. I agree that a smart, good, well-rounded person walks away when they get slapped. I don't disagree with you there, but I don't think you fully processed and considered what I'm saying. At the very least, it appears that the message you took away from what I said was VASTLY different from the message I was conveying.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Tyler Maryak said:

I re-read what I wrote. What I said was not that this girl was drowning children, I said that suggesting that there is "never" a circumstance where x, y, or z is okay is an exaggeration. I said we shouldn't be so hyperbolic and, ironically, the response I received was monumentally hyperbolic. I clearly said he should receive punishment and it's likely that the punishment he received wasn't appropriate. I agree that a smart, good, well-rounded person walks away when they get slapped. I don't disagree with you there, but I don't think you fully processed and considered what I'm saying. At the very least, it appears that the message you took away from what I said was VASTLY different from the message I was conveying.

I don't think the kid should be drawn and quartered, but he should have lost his scholarship at OU and made to start over somewhere else. And he would have been if OU hadn't seen superstar potential. 

Your words. You wrote them. Just because your dad did something wrong doesn't give you an excuse to do the same thing. That isn't how the world works. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

She didn't hit him, she gave a weak push that didn't even move him and a very weak touch after that.

He prompted it all by following her in and going straight to her, hovering over her clearly saying something that offended her.  You can't tell what happened outside the store, but he instigated everything in the store.  Even if this was a guy of the same size, this was unwarranted and deserves severe punishment.  If he was a regular student he would be kicked out of school at a minimum.

If this was my son, he wouldn't be playing football.  The school wouldn't need to even worry about whether to suspend him.  He has bigger life issues to deal with.

On the plus side, that's one less school my kids will have to worry about considering, I won't ever let them go to OU if this represents their values.

• Upvote 6

45 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

I don't think the kid should be drawn and quartered, but he should have lost his scholarship at OU and made to start over somewhere else. And he would have been if OU hadn't seen superstar potential. 

Your words. You wrote them. Just because your dad did something wrong doesn't give you an excuse to do the same thing. That isn't how the world works. 

He is a POS, we all agree on that. Do you think she is at fault at all for pushing/slapping/hitting him first? 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

Some real stupidity on this thread.  I assume if a 4 year old hit you, you get to respond with your best punch.  Forget the boy/girl angle; this is just brutality.  

I don't see how the coaching staff, fellow players, and OU would want this thug to represent their school.                                                        

That's it right there. Proportionality of the force used. 

This video doesn't have any audio and only gives us a part o the story but it does show his force was far in excess of what was used against him and was was likely to be used against him.

From this video only, she looks to have committed assault (don't know what the low level version in OK is) and he committed aggravated assault in response. 

• Upvote 4

12 minutes ago, GreenMachine said:

He is a POS, we all agree on that. Do you think she is at fault at all for pushing/slapping/hitting him first? 

Don't know. Don't know what happened outside or what he said that illicted that response. Did he goad her into pushing him to give him the excuse to punch her as hard as he could? 

She shouldn't have touched him, regardless, but having a nuclear response to light arms fire is NEVER appropriate. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Joe Mixon should have been kicked out of school. There is absolutely no excuse for what took place in this video. But, the win at all cost model in collegiate athletics prevailed, inevitably. OU needs to be shamed to no end. Anyone involved in this decision needs to be let go. This was not petty theft of reckless driving or misdemeanor marijuana possession. This was egregious aggravated assault on a young girl. And it was practically looked over and treated mildly. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1