Kiffin Signs Ex-FSU QB

Caw Caw

29 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

I remember this case now.  Crowded bar, he had to make his way to the front, girl standing there took offense, kicked him, and then punched him.  He then punched her back.  I remember thinking that either both or neither of them should have gotten charged.

you know....I am somewhat conflicted.  A student athlete should know better than get him or herself into these types of situations....  We have all been to a crowded bar, and had to muscle our way to the bar to get a beverage....  I didn't see anything wrong up to that point.  She seemed to have initiated the struggle and threw the first punch....after that???  he popped her and walked away?  Not sure how I feel about that.  No harm, no foul??

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Got a friend who is an attorney in OKC and has seen the OU/Mixon video.  She says it makes the FSU/Johnson video look like child's play. Says Mixon's punch that broke the girl's face is as violent or moreso than the Ray Rice incident.  I don't recall whether Rice's fiance had any broken bones, but Mixon's victim did have bones broken in her face from the punch.

So, when that comes out...OU might have some 'spaining to do.  Or, not....  OU fan base seems to have enough neanderthals in it who will argue the girl had it coming to her since she pushed/slapped at him first.  Sadly.

Either way, this Johnson kid being kicked out of FSU, having to go JUCO, then resigning at G5 is what should happen in cases like this:
-Kid makes terrible mistake in judgement
-Kid pays legally and by not being able to continue at the top level
-Kid gets a shot at redemption at a lower level if he can keep his nose clean

Got no problem with FAU taking this kid if he's served out all the punishment given legally for the incident, has not gotten in any further trouble, and kept his grades up. 

My problems are with the OU's of the world where it seems like, no matter who the coach is, star recruits and players who cause trouble are never kicked off the team. 

As far as FSU, I think the Ray Rice video probably changed the game to a large degree, pro and amateur.  And, that's probably why OU has fought so hard to keep Mixon's video from being released. 

FSU's hand was forced because someone did release the video.  Everyone in Norman is fighting to keep Mixon's video under wraps - the City, the police department, the DA's office, Mixon's attorney's and the victim's attorneys.  It's quite a disgusting spectacle up there in Norman.   

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

"You can have one year because you fall into a great quarterback, or the ball bounces the right way or you get some good calls, but can you do it over and over and over again?" Kiffin said. "That's what success is, and that's what we're getting ready to do here."

Kind of the situation programs like ours wrestle with.  Outside of Dickey's run and Mac's 2013, we haven't really been successful in our return to this level. 

That's part of the reason I think taking the bowl game with a 5-7 record was important.  People here argued the stupid point:  Fine or Morris to start the bowl game.  That's too small picture. 

The big picture is that the extra practices are something a program like ours, in the place it is in, needed badly.  As Littrell said, having those bowl practices is like getting an extra spring practice. 

By the way...no matter what he says now, I think it's only human (Kiffin) nature to jump at the next big school that offers him a hand up...not a hand out?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, outoftown said:

He sure is write that for a coach, success should be measured by what he can repeat. That said, he might come to regret that, because while he has proven himself as a coordinator, sustained success as a head coach is something he still has to prove.

I don't know quite what to make of Kiffin. 

On the one hand, he's had it easier in the profession because his dad was in it for a long time and really successful and credited as an innovator.  So, young Kiffin had a foot in the door that most young coaches have.

I think being named head coach of the Raiders at such a young age was a no-win situation for him.  And, I sort of think the same thing about Tennessee. 

The Volunteer fan base mistakenly believe they are national power status like the Bamas, Miamis, USCs, OUs, etc.  They really aren't.  They are about one step down.  And, that's not bad. 

However, it really is hard to say Kiffin was crazy to leave Tennessee for USC.  USC has more of everything - national titles, Heismans, nationally traditional games  (v. Notre Dame, v. UCLA).  It was just kind of flukey that the USC job opened after he'd been at Tennessee for a year.

Anyway, whatever our opinion of him personally, it does make the C-USA more interesting having him on board.  Can't complain about that.  This conference needs a boost.  If it takes hiring Kiffin and Butch Davis at far flung outposts, so be it.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, outoftown said:

He sure is right that for a coach, success should be measured by what he can repeat. That said, he might come to regret that, because while he has proven himself as a coordinator, sustained success as a head coach is something he still has to prove.

If he fails at this HC opportunity, he will get another OC job at a player with no problem. This is a no lose situation for him. 

On 12/14/2016 at 0:25 PM, GreenTexan13 said:

I don't know about his coaching ability, must be good if he was a offensive co. at Alabama. But I have not seen much positive things about Lane Kiffen on comment threads in news articles on this guy. 

He has a hot wife. Does that count as a positive? Check that, they are divorced. Guess I can't think of a positive now!

Edited by GM1998