Keith Frazier's expected role ?

cogido

7 hours ago, cogido said:

When is Keith Frazier expected to hit the floor , assume he comes off the bench at guard ?

I think someone posted that he would be eligible for the game on the 22nd. (Maybe @Brett Vito could find out?)

I don't see why he wouldn't start. He's been with the team for a year and he's almost assured to be more talented than the guys who have been starting this year. 

Just now, Eagle-96 said:

I would assume he is talking about him coming off the bench until he gets his game legs under him. Practice and live action are two different beasts.

He may need some time to work back into playing 25-30 minutes a night, but I'd think you can still start him and rotate that position a bit more of he needs some adjustment time.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

I think someone posted that he would be eligible for the game on the 22nd. (Maybe @Brett Vito could find out?)

I don't see why he wouldn't start. He's been with the team for a year and he's almost assured to be more talented than the guys who have been starting this year. 

He may need some time to work back into playing 25-30 minutes a night, but I'd think you can still start him and rotate that position a bit more of he needs some adjustment time.

Fair point. Plus Benny will just start him and sub him out after 20-30 seconds anyway. Strategery

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

I don't think you start him right from the jump. At least not the first game. But by the 2nd game, he will probably start,  taking the slot that Lawson, Holston and Brown have juggled. 

All contingent on how he plays. If he shoots bricks and turns it over a bunch, his time starting will be pushed back.

Remember, guys coming back from time off never start their first game out. Now if he kills it in the first half, he may start the 2nd half . 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Eagle-96 said:

Fair point. Plus Benny will just start him and sub him out after 20-30 seconds anyway. Strategery

You need to come to a game or two.  The NHL style subbing has been out for awhile now.  Substitution patterns are very similar to most any team UNT plays it appears these days.  I have not seen the "in and out" stuff nearly as much lately.  Maybe GrandGreen or Army of Dad, who come to the games as I do, could elaborate more.  It is not something I pay much attention to as a rule, so another opinion might be helpful here as well.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, KRAM1 said:

You need to come to a game or two.  The NHL style subbing has been out for awhile now.  Substitution patterns are very similar to most any team UNT plays it appears these days.  I have not seen the "in and out" stuff nearly as much lately.  Maybe GrandGreen or Army of Dad, who come to the games as I do, could elaborate more.  It is not something I pay much attention to as a rule, so another opinion might be helpful here as well.

The people who complain about his subbing patterns haven't been to a game in about four years... he fixed that after the first season. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

7 minutes ago, Andrew said:

The people who complain about his subbing patterns haven't been to a game in about four years... he fixed that after the first season. 

I don't think he eliminated that before season #2, but he reduced the number of quick subs.

He's pretty much stopped that practice entirely. I only saw one instance this season where he told a player to go in and quickly changed his mind. In that instance the player didn't even make it to the scorers table, but once in a while this happens to most coaches and isn't a point of concern.

That said, bits live on and I'd bet we get some jokes about number of suits a few times this season.

• Upvote 3

My question is can he earn another year of eligibility? I know at one time I read this though it doesn't make sense to me. This would be his fourth year to touch the court so it doesn't seem possible; however he had sat out two half season so maybe there is some NCAA rule I am unaware of that allows for a fifth year?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

On 12/16/2016 at 5:46 PM, EagleMBA said:

Benford's expected role for Frazier:

th?id=OIP.M5d47e42ca342558f113604be4e872

This is sadly accurate. Frazier is suposed ar eally great player. But the whole SMU episode makes one also think he is likely to be somewhat psychologically fragile and history tells us that great players don't necessarily look that way under Benford. The problem with that is, that the main reason Benford hasn't been fired yet this season is likely that we don't yet know what this team is with Frazer in it and now basically Benford needs Frazer to be really good to save his job. That will put unfair pressure on Frazer for sure.

.... and yes I know we should not be in the situation where we waited for Frazers arrival to decide on Benfords job, but here we are.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

14 hours ago, outoftown said:

.... and yes I know we should not be in the situation where we waited for Frazers arrival to decide on Benfords job, but here we are.

Agree. The cards have been dealt and now we have to play out the hand. IMO, we have good basketball men in the Administration (Smatty and TheWren foremost) and they will make the call when the time is right. I believe.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1