MGN Podcast 73: Recruiting Season

aztecskin

Looking forward to this one.

Anyone else like me: tired of these Mean Green-ish cycles of 1 good season and 5 lousy ones? 1 season of [false?] hope then 4+ of WTF?

I like this staff (though not perfect), I just want to see them solidify themselves on the recruiting trails.  Snag some DMN T100 players, and every now and then steal a few away from the P5s.  I think they could cement some long term success if they can pull it off.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 3

On 12/11/2016 at 6:09 PM, greenminer said:

Looking forward to this one.

Anyone else like me: tired of these Mean Green-ish cycles of 1 good season and 5 lousy ones? 1 season of [false?] hope then 4+ of WTF?

I like this staff (though not perfect), I just want to see them solidify themselves on the recruiting trails.  Snag some DMN T100 players, and every now and then steal a few away from the P5s.  I think they could cement some long term success if they can pull it off.

Yes. I am tired of that. I think its a matter of program-building. Like I said on the show, a sign of a good HC/program is that it never dips too far down for too long. Obviously, luck and bad seasons happen, but if everything is on solid foundation, those are never very bad. 

By that measure, the 2014 season was an understandable dip in the McCarney era while 2015 was an epic collapse that really cemented the idea he was not building the program the right way. 

Stealth recruiting is probably best for us &  when we've done it that way in the past we really don't know much about who we'll sign until the last full week. 

I would rather UNT do it that way than submit a  list of high profile  (or not so high profile) names 2 months before signing day only to see countless changes of minds in the 12'th hour. 

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1