UTA beats #14 St Mary's

MCMLXXX

"A friend who has not attended a game in years, after watching us play UTA said "NT had better athletes, but they are better coached."

This comment is just absurd. New to the board. Thanks for all the warm welcomes to come. I was at the UNT-UTA game. Combs is the only player on UNT's roster who would start for UTA. That might change when Frazier comes aboard, but for now, the Mean Green simply lacks talent. It's not a coaching problem. Shooting guard hits 32 percent from long range against pretty average to below average competition so far. Point guard can't shoot and turns the ball over too much. The 7-footer is still a year away, although he could be really, really good. The talent just isn't there. But Frazier and the kid from San Diego could change things drastically. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 11

1 hour ago, DWayne47 said:

"A friend who has not attended a game in years, after watching us play UTA said "NT had better athletes, but they are better coached."

This comment is just absurd. New to the board. Thanks for all the warm welcomes to come. I was at the UNT-UTA game. Combs is the only player on UNT's roster who would start for UTA. That might change when Frazier comes aboard, but for now, the Mean Green simply lacks talent. It's not a coaching problem. Shooting guard hits 32 percent from long range against pretty average to below average competition so far. Point guard can't shoot and turns the ball over too much. The 7-footer is still a year away, although he could be really, really good. The talent just isn't there. But Frazier and the kid from San Diego could change things drastically. 

Hablahablahabladuhwhat?!?! 

Nice try, RickyV. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

6 hours ago, DWayne47 said:

Really?  What is your assessment of our coaching?  I would love to hear that.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

16 hours ago, DWayne47 said:

Well, they're all his players so either way it's on the coach.

What's absurd is the number of games we have lost to teams with inferior talent, starting with UAH. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

It's hard to say if he's a bad coach, but the results certainly aren't there. Somebody pointed out a while ago that it took Johnny Jones a few years to win consistently. But along the way, there were flashes of greatness and signs of progress. Right now, there aren't either of those, and that's not acceptable. If he finishes in the top four in conference and wins 18 games this year, which is still possible, he should probably get another year because that's obvious progress. If this year turns out to be just like last, you have to find somebody else.

Edited by DWayne47
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 12

5 hours ago, DWayne47 said:

It's hard to say if he's a bad coach, but the results certainly aren't there. Somebody pointed out a while ago that it took Johnny Jones a few years to win consistently. But along the way, there were flashes of greatness and signs of progress. Right now, there aren't either of those, and that's not acceptable. If he finishes in the top four in conference and wins 18 games this year, which is still possible, he should probably get another year because that's obvious progress. If this year turns out to be just like last, you have to find somebody else.

Ummmmm no, it's not.

His days left here are coming to a much needed end.

Rick

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

On December 10, 2016 at 9:54 AM, DWayne47 said:

Perhaps you could check the W/L record for the 4-6 years before JJ got here and the 4-6 years before Benford. 

If you do that, I think you'll find that there was a massive difference in the state of the program when each took the job.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

On 12/10/2016 at 3:49 PM, FirefightnRick said:

Ummmmm no, it's not.

His days left here are coming to a much needed end.

Rick

Only because we had to buy out the worst AD in America did this terrible basketball coach get a 5th year to steal money from the university. 

Benford is a recruiter. He will join some staff at a power school and go back to being a great recruiter. His X's and O's are just horrendous.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

13 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

Only because we had to buy out the worst AD in America did this terrible basketball coach get a 5th year to steal money from the university. 

Benford is a recruiter. He will join some staff at a power school and go back to being a great recruiter. His X's and O's are just horrendous.

There's really no reason to even discuss Benford anymore.  He's all but gone and everyone knows it.  Our focus should now be on who WB brings in next.  

Thankfully the football team has given us something to be interested in till then.

Rick

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Went to see Stephen Breyer speak at UTA last night. UTA President proudly proclaimed UTA the 18th ranked team in the nation by RPI. Breyer later joked that UTA was ranked ahead of Duke and that would upset the moderator, a Duke grad. 

And UNT has Tony Benford...

For a 5th disasterous, program destroying year. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

8 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

There's really no reason to even discuss Benford anymore.  He's all but gone and everyone knows it.  Our focus should now be on who WB brings in next.  

Thankfully the football team has given us something to be interested in till then.

Rick

Who's everyone? He has this year to prove himself. Wren made it clear they would address this after the season is over and they look at his progress. Do I believe he should be back? Unless we go dance then no; however that is not everyone's opinion. I am guessing he does not come back next year, but I wouldn't bet on it. Wren is giving him a full chance with one year to show what he has or leave. If he wins 20 games that may be enough for Wren do retain him. It's all on this one year and nothing to do with the past. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

11 hours ago, Andrew said:

Who's everyone? He has this year to prove himself. Wren made it clear they would address this after the season is over and they look at his progress. Do I believe he should be back? Unless we go dance then no; however that is not everyone's opinion. I am guessing he does not come back next year, but I wouldn't bet on it. Wren is giving him a full chance with one year to show what he has or leave. If he wins 20 games that may be enough for Wren do retain him. It's all on this one year and nothing to do with the past. 

You HONESTLY believe that?  I mean, not in a "let me see how long I can get this bit to last" way, but honestly believe it.  

No AD can come out and say "this dude is on death row but we can't afford the potassium chloride just yet", but the gurney is being dusted off

11 hours ago, Andrew said:

You HONESTLY believe that?  I mean, not in a "let me see how long I can get this bit to last" way, but honestly believe it.  

No AD can come out and say "this dude is on death row but we can't afford the potassium chloride just yet", but the gurney is being dusted off

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

46 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

From what I have heard yes. Everything is based off this season and not the past. At this point sitting at 5-4 is not getting it down so I wouldn't expect him back, but anything can happen in conference play. Other than Middle Tennessee nobody is looking like a dominant team. Middle easily wins the conference though. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Andrew said:

From what I have heard yes. Everything is based off this season and not the past. At this point sitting at 5-4 is not getting it down so I wouldn't expect him back, but anything can happen in conference play. Other than Middle Tennessee nobody is looking like a dominant team. Middle easily wins the conference though. 

This team has yet to defeat someone with a winning record. In fact, they haven't been close when it comes to those losses. All were by double digits and by an average of 19 points where the most points they've scored was 62 points while allowing, on average, 74 points.

To me, it's not about anyone being dominant in CUSA, it's about the fact I don't see this team being competitive with the top half of CUSA given how the team has handled good squads.

Edited by UNTFan23

6 hours ago, UNTFan23 said:

This team has yet to defeat someone with a winning record. In fact, they haven't been close when it comes to those losses. All were by double digits and by an average of 19 points where the most points they've scored was 62 points while allowing, on average, 74 points.

To me, it's not about anyone being dominant in CUSA, it's about the fact I don't see this team being competitive with the top half of CUSA given how the team has handled good squads.

Well I believe Benford will be gone and things will get better, but I am Mr. Positivity so I'm hoping we do well this year. We have a good hands of going 8-4 in OOC play which isn't terrible. We are also holding opponents to right around 40% shooting which is a school record through 9 games (per meanhreen sports). There is always hope, especially if we get healthy and have everyone out there. Frazier can really light it up! 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Well I believe Benford will be gone and things will get better, but I am Mr. Positivity so I'm hoping we do well this year. We have a good hands of going 8-4 in OOC play which isn't terrible. We are also holding opponents to right around 40% shooting which is a school record through 9 games (per mean green sports). There is always hope, especially if we get healthy and have everyone out there. Frazier can really light it up! 

Right now this team is a bunch of paper dragons. Best chance to beat a team with a winning record using the full roster will be 12/31 at Charlotte. Sam Houston has a winning record (currently 7-3) but there is a chance Keith Frazier won't play based on what I heard on the radio from the last game (Delaware State).

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1