Delaware State (12/8/16)

Matt from A700

I think it was apparent that Delaware State is not a good team. However, I think you still have to give the Mean Green credit for giving up only three points through the first 11.5 minutes of the second half. The Hornets could not maneuver through our trap defense or make shots all night.

Holston and Draper were fun to watch at the end. I think Holston's first highlight dunk was the most monstrous dunk I've seen in three years as a student here. #SCTop10 for sure!

• Upvote 4

I was pleasantly surprised how well we broadcast (stream) games compared to others in CUSA, we really have a great crew.  I had a great viewing experience watching the game on the TV.  I have the CUSA streaming package, I play it on my iPad and then use airplay to my Apple TV.

You cant get better than Dave and Hank. Dave really calls a great game and Hank transitioned into the color commentator role nicely.  I'd never thought I would have to compare TV crews but its not even close to how much better our TV crew is, some of those football games we watched were unwatchable.  Finally, I'm liking the in-game product.  The lights seem to only be on the court and the music seems to be better. 

Edited by Dr. Seuss
  • Upvote 4

17 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

it is so sad to go to the pit and watch a game and see so few people at the game. 

It is what it is, that's what happens when you have 4 straight losing seasons. I've looked past the crowd support. I know me personally, I don't want to travel to Denton from Dallas because of the traffic on 35; aint nobody got time for that.  But more Denton locals should be able to support the team once they start winning again.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UNT90 said:

It took me over 5 minutes to pay by credit card to buy a ticket. The ticket taking staff was uninterested in doing their job. Similar problem at the concession stand. Good thing we don't have 6,000 a night showing up, because from my experience last night, UNT isn't equipped physically or mentally with the staff they have to facilitate a good experience for a crowd of that size.

I have to say, if I was working the Mean Green basketball games every home game, I would get pretty tired and non-energetic too when we're lucky to get 1,000 people (actual, not official) into the Pit and you go through long stretches of ghost town-like atmosphere. I think the staff would be up to the challenge (and would have fun with it) if we did have crowds of 6,000 or larger.

Just typing 6,000 makes me sad. I haven't been here for the entire demise but sadly Benford will take up most of my years as a student. It's depressing seeing how much the turnout has changed. Maybe I will make up for it by still using my student ID to get in the three seasons after I graduate.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, UNT90 said:

New scoreboard is nice, although it reports player fouls instead of rebounds, duplicating what can be seen on the old scoreboard while rebound stats are nowhere to be found. That should be changed to points and rebounds. 

I am excited to finally see the "new" scoreboard.  Hopefully that moment comes at some point this season. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

14 hours ago, southsideguy said:

what will the crowds be like when the students go home for the holidays.  I can the players playing and a janitor sweeping the walk way. 

Luckily a lot of our games right after Christmas time are on the road. The only home game I plan on missing during the break is the one on the 22nd.

I had to watch this game on On Demand.  It was fun to watch. Glad to see Combs looking close to the Combs before the injury. He's not playing above the rim like he used to, but he doesn't look in pain and was out there on the break, which is great. He is immediately our best rebounder. I love it. 

Holston was explosive. His defense has been very impressive, but if he can show that type of explosiveness, add the bigs outside shooting from either Green or Temara, get Frazier or Deckie making some buckets and sure up the point play... we might be dangerous - lol.

I know, a lot of "ifs"

• Upvote 1

I guess the new Center Court board is new? It's been there for a couple years now. I don't rely on the center court board for valuable info like fouls anyway because the letters/numbers are so small making the numbers quite pixelated.

Tracking individual rebounds during a game isn't as important as fouls. How well a player is or is not rebounding doesn't dictate player match-ups like fouls do.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 12/9/2016 at 7:43 AM, UNT90 said:

I went to this game last night. First and only game I'll attend this year. Several observations.

The high dollar donor seats court side were maybe 20% full. Maybe. I hope Wren Baker takes a long, hard look at that. 

The pit crew is down to 14 students. That's right. 14. I know, I counted them. It wasn't hard to do.

There is less than zero energy in the building. I've been to funerals that had more pep. 

Brice doesn't know how to use the body God gave him, having but one low post move, a fade away hook shot, that didn't go in all night. He could use a real coaching staff that knows how to develop players, especially the lost art of being a post player. 

Combs is a really good player and knows how to use his body down low. If Combs skills were contained in Brice's body, you would have an NBA 1st round pick in Denton.

New scoreboard is nice, although it reports player fouls instead of rebounds, duplicating what can be seen on the old scoreboard while rebound stats are nowhere to be found. That should be changed to points and rebounds. 

It took me over 5 minutes to pay by credit card to buy a ticket. The ticket taking staff was uninterested in doing their job. Similar problem at the concession stand. Good thing we don't have 6,000 a night showing up, because from my experience last night, UNT isn't equipped physically or mentally with the staff they have to facilitate a good experience for a crowd of that size.

I was hoping to see changes, I really didn't see any at all. 

Same ole same ole.

It was a change to see a victory, even if it was over a sister of the poorer than us. 

Looking forward to when anyone else coaches this team. I saw the same Tony Benford I saw year one, constantly yelling things that don't matter at his players while the game is in motion. Trying like hell to act like he knows what he is doing. 

Oh, I did look at my old season ticket area directly behind the UNT bench. Not one of the people that used to sit there remain. And those were hard core folks. 

If any university out there needs instructions on how to kill a basketball program, they should consult with the University of North Texas, because they are the gold standard and are still administering the death blow every game Tony Benford is allowed to coach.

Fantastic post, sums up exactly what Benford has done to take a tournament team and turn it into a dumpster fire 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

13 hours ago, Andrew said:

They use to show free throw percentage and shooting percentage on the big board. I wish they would bring that back again. 

The only problem with having showed those stats is it made the made the actual video replay area smaller. It's a balancing act on what to show on the main screen.

With everyone having phones, going to MeanGreenStats.com for up-to-the-minute stats is a real convenient service that is available to use.

• Upvote 1

On 12/8/2016 at 9:53 PM, GMG24 said:

Any chance with a change of leadership you'll rejoin? 

Can't physically return because I live in S. Texas now. However, I never stopped supporting the team since I left Denton. The games are hard to watch on TV/internet, but I nonetheless subject myself to watch our horribly coached games.... 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1