From One High Schooler's POV

FirefightnRick

7 minutes ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

Think about how that resounds with the parents, if not the potential recruits as well.

This is underrated. Everybody has their reasons to go to college and play football. While some have NFL aspirations, some view it as a way to dig their family out of where they grew up (go to college, get a degree, get a good job, help you parents). For those who are just looking for a solid education and everything else is gravy, the reason for us bowling is what's most important. I remember reading about Goree and Rutherford and how important it was for them to get out of East Texas, where heroin rules. They needed to get out to save themselves and hopefully save their family. Obviously, it hasn't worked out for Goree, but it's important to many recruits who grew up like them. 

• Upvote 5

If I'm reading the APR calculation correctly, it's not grades so much as it is academic eligibility and retention.  So C's get degrees is a FINE mantra for APR purposes.  I wish it were more GPA oriented since our football team has been over a 3.0 for quite some time, and I think that's really the admirable point.  

apr_explain_new.jpg

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

If I'm reading the APR calculation correctly, it's not grades so much as it is academic eligibility and retention.  So C's get degrees is a FINE mantra for APR purposes.  I wish it were more GPA oriented since our football team has been over a 3.0 for quite some time, and I think that's really the admirable point.  

apr_explain_new.jpg

I read it the way you did too. Maybe some combination of both. A lot of students drop out of college early and tag on the time commitment of playing D1 athletics (practices, camps, travel, etc...), they need to be rewarded for having a high retention rate. Including GPA into the equation would be good too, though. 

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

I don't know, has Mike Jackson come around on it now?

Rick

His POINT and yours are Apples and Oranges...

But you know this.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 4

1 hour ago, Quoner said:

His POINT and yours are Apples and Oranges...

But you know this.

I posted a positive story about how our team is being recognized for their efforts.  I didn't bring up anything negative or sarcastic or attempted to mock or poke at anything anyone else had to say.

Why are you using my comments from another thread on another board to post here?

Rick

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 5

1 minute ago, FirefightnRick said:

I posted a positive story about how our team is being recognized for their efforts.  I didn't bring up anything negative or sarcastic or attempted to mock or poke at anything anyone else had to say.

Why are you using my comments from another thread on another board to post here?

Rick

Hey, I +1'd you, gave you props via a heartwarming seasonal tale of change, then you decided to bring poor Mike Jackson into it. We clearly both have a lot to think about. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Aahh, love how the success of our little ol' football team brings the yuk monkeys out of the woodwork.

We've been here all along doing our best to avoid you, too, but I guess this is seasonal, like picking fights with 90 across multiple forums and scrounging tickets. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Quoner said:

We've been here all along doing our best to avoid you, too, but I guess this is seasonal, like picking fights with 90 across multiple forums and scrounging tickets. 

Disagreeing with 90, but if you call it picking fights so be it.  Not sure what you mean by scrounging tickets?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

18 minutes ago, Quoner said:

Hey, I +1'd you, gave you props via a heartwarming seasonal tale of change, then you decided to bring poor Mike Jackson into it. We clearly both have a lot to think about. 

You brought up the subject about someone complaining the most.  If it wasn't MJ then who was it?  

4 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Disagreeing with 90, but if you call it picking fights so be it.  Not sure what you mean by scrounging tickets?

Ah..picking fights.  Is that what they call it?  Is it similar to thread derailing?  

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Last night, DFW's CBS11 sports reported with a visit to Apogee Stadium & in studio gave North Texas a great commendation with the APR aspects of our bowl invite. In fact, the cute brunette gave our players a thumbs up and a big smile because of the grades theme of all this.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

You brought up the subject about someone complaining the most.  If it wasn't MJ then who was it?  

Ah..picking fights.  Is that what they call it?  Is it similar to thread derailing?  

Rick

You were very anti-bowl and came around on it. That's fine and good and we are glad you're going. The process of you mentally getting there has some humor to it for some, and that's probably okay, too. Don't think we need to keep hashing it out anymore - for everyone's benefit. Happy to PM or text if you feel like it is needed.

Lifer and I can just continue to agree to disagree with no further discussion or explanation and both be better for it. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, aztecskin said:

Bill Jones? He has a name. 

I'm 66...can't remember my own name at times.  :)

I get "card'ed" at times to get my senior discount. Hell!  Some tell me I don't look 50!   A  Wea'ther College girl at our new "Film Alley" (like Dave N' Busters) when I asked her to guess my age she said.....42!   I told her my age and she jokingly demanded to see my DL.  I told her I was part of the un-dead and had been 42 for 300 years.  I know....just more dad joke crap coming from me!  Excuse me, I  need to take some meds! 

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Quoner said:

You were very anti-bowl and came around on it. That's fine and good and we are glad you're going. The process of you mentally getting there has some humor to it for some, and that's probably okay, too. Don't think we need to keep hashing it out anymore - for everyone's benefit. Happy to PM or text if you feel like it is needed.

True, I posted "I think" one time, maybe twice here (once by defending myself) that I didn't think we should go.  I was pissed like everyone else was after getting destroyed by a 3-8 team.  But it didn't take long for me to come to my senses in seeing how the positives outweigh the negs...and even posted that I was wrong.

That was 10 days ago...yet here I am again in what started out as a good, positive post having to defend myself because it's humorous to a few to continue to poke snarky, thread derailing jabs at others.  

I don't get but whatever?

Rick

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 5