Ranking All 40 Bowl Games

Mean Green 93-98

Judging by the payouts this is a way better bowl than say the Boca Raton our conference champ is going to.  And thanks, to whoever is responsible for NT not going to the Camellia Bowl. Please get out there and support the program. This is a great opportunity that NT is very fortunate to have.

• Upvote 6

4 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

This is the third list I've seen today, and the third time I've seen HOD ranked dead last.  I didn't post it because why give more ammunition to the perpetually angry?

Don't care.  Going bowling. 

Since money is inconsequential,  (teams keep $100k of the payout then the conference gets the rest ) I rate bowls on potential impact for recruiting. As such, this is a grand slam for the school. They play a bowl game in the TV market of most of their recruits! Haha, dumb a*s experts. 

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, Mean Green Matt said:

Who cares? This bowl isn't about TV ratings and it isn't about what the national media thinks or doesn't think. This game is about our fan base and our future, most importantly the large number of quality recruits that hopefully decide on 12/27, while seeing our fans turn out in large numbers, that they want to be a part of adding another 4 wins to our record next year. 

Yes!

No doubt we the fans will be as much the focus with these recruits as our football team.  I hope we are all happy with the results of what's in the Cotton Bowl seats & the football field.  What a "2 days after Christmas" gift for all that would be.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

15 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I hope UNT finds success. I hope Littrell is who we want him to be. My optimism has slowly dwindled throughout the year. Like you said, not because we lost but because we lost BAD. We made strides at the beginning of the year on the field and in recruiting but both have simmered down while other programs in our position have continued to better themselves. I'm nervous about the future. My outlook has quickly changed. I'm usually very optimistic but February is around the corner and I'm concerned. Coach Littrell, please prove me wrong. 

Depth was the monster lurking under our Mean Green bed all year. It finally reared its ugly head. We have FCS level scholarship numbers right now and that is what one of the things that did us in down the stretch. We simply don't have the numbers to just plug and play. That aspect is gonna take time but WILL get better. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, wardly said:

I can't think of a game that we lost but should of /could of won. Every loss was by double figures. Regarding recruiting, I don't have the insight that Ben Gooding has, but who is recruiting the "dog shit" out of us? SMU? Just asking.

I'm curious as well. I'm not sure how you determine that until after NSD

• Downvote 1

2 or 3 pedigree recruits we now may be able to sign because we're in this bowl game can move North Texas up the food chain pretty quickly.  

Boise State when they first began their Top 25 run rarely had high ranked recruiting classes, but they had coaches who could evaluate talent like goat ropin' son of a guns that few others were looking at. 

Wait until the Fat Lady sings before throwing in the towel when recruiting Texas & Oklahoma high school talent.    

GMG!

PS:  How many name schools recruited North Texas All CUSA Frosh LaDarius Hamilton?  

How many stars did Recruiting Services give him?  I have no idea & is why I'm asking.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Fellow GMG denizens,

While I disagree with him about the HoD bowl ranking, he does state in the story that the "bowl rankings" are based on the combined computer ranking of the two bowl participants. This is why the two semifinals are ranked #1 and #2 (because #1 seed v #4 seed = 5 and #2 seed v #3 seed = 5). It's like golf and the lowest score gets a better ranking.

Again, I disagree with the ranking based on my own bias and the pure entertainment value of this game versus other games, but based on his stated criteria it is "accurate". I mean only three teams qualified via APR and two of them are playing each other in the HoD bowl (Army and North Texas). And yes, I do realize that if Army beats Navy this weekend that Army will be qualified the normal way. 

CBS Sports writers tend to a much better job than the hacks over at ESPN. I'm sure I wasted my breath (and fingers) defending some dude I don't even know, but I just wanted to point out that he did base his rankings on some specific data instead of just hating on us.

GMG

1 hour ago, 10Eagle10 said:

Fellow GMG denizens,

While I disagree with him about the HoD bowl ranking, he does state in the story that the "bowl rankings" are based on the combined computer ranking of the two bowl participants. This is why the two semifinals are ranked #1 and #2 (because #1 seed v #4 seed = 5 and #2 seed v #3 seed = 5). It's like golf and the lowest score gets a better ranking.

Again, I disagree with the ranking based on my own bias and the pure entertainment value of this game versus other games, but based on his stated criteria it is "accurate". I mean only three teams qualified via APR and two of them are playing each other in the HoD bowl (Army and North Texas). And yes, I do realize that if Army beats Navy this weekend that Army will be qualified the normal way. 

CBS Sports writers tend to a much better job than the hacks over at ESPN. I'm sure I wasted my breath (and fingers) defending some dude I don't even know, but I just wanted to point out that he did base his rankings on some specific data instead of just hating on us.

GMG

And since when has anything like 'logic' stopped us from grabbing the e-torches and e-pitchforks?

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/5/2016 at 2:55 PM, GMG_Dallas said:

I don't need anything. I just find it hilarious that just a few short years ago the posters on this very board were all talking trash to those who didn't support Dan Mac and then as soon as the narrative shifted for a few popular posters who were starting to doubt Dan Mac, everybody started agreeing that he should be ousted. Mob mentality on here and there's more followers than leaders. We're doing it again, by the way. Won't name any names, but somebody on here has been trying to get a family friend some looks and everybody tells him to trust in the staff and that they know what they're doing, but as soon as somebody with a title implying they're a "recruiting expert" says we should be concerned about our recruiting, everybody jumps on ship with him and starts questioning our recruiting class standings.

Edit: This is not a shot at those recruiting experts but rather at those who follow. Most of those who frequently post in the recruiting forum know their stuff and I respect their opinions as I know very little about recruiting.

Sorry, I'm just now catching up on some threads...anyway, in regards to this point, I can't speak for anyone else, but with me, I tried to stay patient and positive for as long as possible, but as things gradually got worse, it became more obvious that things were going downhill fast. So I wasn't really jumping on a bandwagon so much as admitting that things weren't going as well as we had hoped. There may be some who fit the description you provided, but there are probably a few with a similar change to my own...trying to stay upbeat and hope for things to not be as bad as others were saying until it wasn't as possible to remain positive anymore.

On 12/5/2016 at 6:02 PM, Aquila_Viridis said:

Judging by the payouts this is a way better bowl than say the Boca Raton our conference champ is going to.  And thanks, to whoever is responsible for NT not going to the Camellia Bowl. Please get out there and support the program. This is a great opportunity that NT is very fortunate to have.

On 12/5/2016 at 6:19 PM, VideoEagle said:

Payouts dont matter in CUSA. All bowl payouts go to league to cover team travel costs and the rest is divided up.  

Yeah, I really think they try to keep everyone as regional as possible, since it cuts down in travel and makes it likely to sell more tickets. The net will be a lot higher that way...and it behooves the schools as well, so as to recruit better in areas they're already focusing on.

On 12/5/2016 at 6:20 PM, UTSA Fan said:

Since money is inconsequential,  (teams keep $100k of the payout then the conference gets the rest ) I rate bowls on potential impact for recruiting. As such, this is a grand slam for the school. They play a bowl game in the TV market of most of their recruits! Haha, dumb a*s experts. 

Right!

On 12/5/2016 at 6:26 PM, Aquila_Viridis said:

I think the conferences like to get more money not less money, to spread around.  NT is making it rain. Meanwhile an outstanding Toledo team is slumming it in Montgomery.

Yeah, and see my other point above. It's not only how much more you get, but also how much less of it you have to spend.