Ranking All 40 Bowl Games

Mean Green 93-98

40. Heart of Dallas Bowl -- Army West Point Black Knights vs. North Texas Mean Green -- Dec. 27, 12 p.m.: Using the rankings in my formula, North Texas is the worst bowl team in 2016. Combine that with an Army team that is a surprise this season, but isn't exactly a bundle of excitement, and this one probably won't be very fun.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/ranking-all-40-college-football-bowl-games-for-2016-17-from-heart-of-dallas-to-cfp/

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

To me this game will become the first (early) game of next season with focus on our young developing players who will have just had 18 more practice days to develop their skills for this game. 

Then hoping like hell that all the visiting HS recruits that Seth Littrell & staff invite to the Cotton Bowl stadium will be impressed with our fan support & then some of the better ones sign an LOI with North Texas in mere weeks. 

Isn't the scholastic achievements of this team that got our entire UNT community this bowl game in the first place almost worth the celebration alone?  

See y'all in Dallas!

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 7

34 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

I am going to have a great time! If a 5-7 team is going to be in a bowl I would rather it be my 5/7 team! Three more weeks of practice! Will be interesting to see how we rank next year! GMG 

• Upvote 1

40. Heart of Dallas Bowl -- Army West Point Black Knights vs. North Texas Mean Green -- Dec. 27, 12 p.m.: Using the rankings in my formula, North Texas is the worst bowl team in 2016. Combine that with an Army team that is a surprise this season, but isn't exactly a bundle of excitement, and this one probably won't be very fun.

They must not have watched our game on October 22, 2016.  That one was fun and had a lot of excitement.

Go Army, Beat Navy, then Go Mean Green, Beat Army!

• Upvote 5

30. Cure Bowl -- Arkansas State vs. UCF -- Dec. 17, 5:30 p.m.: I was tempted to bump this game up a few spots just because it has the threat of a scoring bonanza living just beneath the surface

33. Military Bowl -- No. 24 Temple vs. Wake Forest -- Dec. 27, 3:30 p.m.: I wouldn't expect this game to last very long, so that's good. I just don't know how competitive it will be

So...if it's a scoring bonanza, which would be a lot of clock stoppage thus a long game...that's  good.  But a lot of clock running thus a short game that doesn't 'last very long'... is good as well?

And Arkansas State has the 24th overall ranked defense, so excuse me if I don't expect a scoring bonanza in that game.

This is so poorly written it's not worth opening the link.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

1 hour ago, oldguystudent said:

This is the third list I've seen today, and the third time I've seen HOD ranked dead last.  I didn't post it because why give more ammunition to the perpetually angry?

Don't care.  Going bowling. 

Another reason we need to show a large number of recruits who'll be at our bowl game something to talk about and a good time.  I think some post negatives on this forum to get some (apparent) much needed attention & they know who they are.  Probably some of our Red Numbers Brigade or some  of our CUSA visitors.  

Still, this bowl is more about our future than the present.  Hang what the media says.  Most of em' I doubt can even spell journalism & probably never even played the game.  

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 7

11 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

I think some post negatives on this forum to get some (apparent) much needed attention.  

I express my opinion and am called an attention seeker. I'll play your game and say some only agree with the popular beliefs on this forum to get some much needed affirmation as they fear rejection. It's probably not true but neither is your statement of needing attention. We don't agree, and that's fine, but don't belittle me for due to my opinions. I'll use this as an opportunity to mention a ranking I read that had us at 37 of 40. Good! Better than dead last. Their first reason for this match-up not being ranked higher is that we already played on October 22. Guess they aren't paying attention, right? 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 11

14 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I express my opinion and am called an attention seeker. I'll play your game and say some only agree with the popular beliefs on this forum to get some much needed affirmation as they fear rejection. It's probably not true but neither is your statement of needing attention. We don't agree, and that's fine, but don't belittle me for due to my opinions. I'll use this as an opportunity to mention a ranking I read that had us at 37 of 40. Good! Better than dead last. Their first reason for this match-up not being ranked higher is that we already played on October 22. Guess they aren't paying attention, right? 

Good God dude.  This is an opinion board.  You need some cocoa?

This: Yet I don't know why some of our own want to keep on & on throwing ice water on our school's bowl game.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

13 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Good God dude.  This is an opinion board.  You need some cocoa?

I don't need anything. I just find it hilarious that just a few short years ago the posters on this very board were all talking trash to those who didn't support Dan Mac and then as soon as the narrative shifted for a few popular posters who were starting to doubt Dan Mac, everybody started agreeing that he should be ousted. Mob mentality on here and there's more followers than leaders. We're doing it again, by the way. Won't name any names, but somebody on here has been trying to get a family friend some looks and everybody tells him to trust in the staff and that they know what they're doing, but as soon as somebody with a title implying they're a "recruiting expert" says we should be concerned about our recruiting, everybody jumps on ship with him and starts questioning our recruiting class standings.

Edit: This is not a shot at those recruiting experts but rather at those who follow. Most of those who frequently post in the recruiting forum know their stuff and I respect their opinions as I know very little about recruiting.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 6

9 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I don't need anything. I just find it hilarious that just a few short years ago the posters on this very board were all talking trash to those who didn't support Dan Mac and then as soon as the narrative shifted for a few popular posters who were starting to doubt Dan Mac, everybody started agreeing that he should be ousted. Mob mentality on here and there's more followers than leaders. We're doing it again, by the way. Won't name any names, but somebody on here has been trying to get a family friend some looks and everybody tells him to trust in the staff and that they know what they're doing, but as soon as somebody with a title implying they're a "recruiting expert" says we should be concerned about our recruiting, everybody jumps on ship with him and starts questioning our recruiting class standings.

OK. 

Sometimes you have to take a sabbatical away from GMG.com to regain some balance about our athletic program.  I have.  Fact is, I know you're a good fan even though I've not met you but being on here says you do give a damn!  It's the other almost 230,000+ NT Exes living in northern Texas I wish cared as you do.  Not wanting a food fight here.  I believe in (hetero) love because after all I'm from the Woodstock generation which means I'm almost older than Moses.  LOL! 

Find me at the HOD & you'll have a beer ? or soft drink on me (but just don't pour it on me). :)

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I just posted something similar to this on the recruiting forum. We all have brains, eyeballs, and opinions. We need to form our own opinion and not let the bunker mentality of this fan base reign supreme, again. Recruiting is to put it blunt, dog shit. Littrell is not slow playing anything. He and the staff are being out recruited pretty badly. This is fact. He is not holding offers. Many, many offers to kids that fit into our wheelhouse are going to other places.

We lost very winnable games. Not just lost them, but got our faces pushed into the back of our brain. The ONLY silver lining is we backdoored our way into a bowl game (Thank you Nick Mullens for being injured in our game or we'd be twirling fingers right now). The silver lining moving forward into next season is that we will have an easier east draw, I hope. I'm a concerned fan as of right now. We HAVE to close out recruiting strong. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

53 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

I just posted something similar to this on the recruiting forum. We all have brains, eyeballs, and opinions. We need to form our own opinion and not let the bunker mentality of this fan base reign supreme, again. Recruiting is to put it blunt, dog shit. Littrell is not slow playing anything. He and the staff are being out recruited pretty badly. This is fact. He is not holding offers. Many, many offers to kids that fit into our wheelhouse are going to other places.

We lost very winnable games. Not just lost them, but got our faces pushed into the back of our brain. The ONLY silver lining is we backdoored our way into a bowl game (Thank you Nick Mullens for being injured in our game or we'd be twirling fingers right now). The silver lining moving forward into next season is that we will have an easier east draw, I hope. I'm a concerned fan as of right now. We HAVE to close out recruiting strong. 

I hope UNT finds success. I hope Littrell is who we want him to be. My optimism has slowly dwindled throughout the year. Like you said, not because we lost but because we lost BAD. We made strides at the beginning of the year on the field and in recruiting but both have simmered down while other programs in our position have continued to better themselves. I'm nervous about the future. My outlook has quickly changed. I'm usually very optimistic but February is around the corner and I'm concerned. Coach Littrell, please prove me wrong. 

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 7

2 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

Don't care.  Going bowling. 

This...

2016 wasn't about being considered as one of the best bowl teams in the nation.  It was about being considered for the "most improved" list.  The exhausting work put in by staff and players made the latter something I think we'd easily be in discussion for.

• Upvote 1

Who cares? This bowl isn't about TV ratings and it isn't about what the national media thinks or doesn't think. This game is about our fan base and our future, most importantly the large number of quality recruits that hopefully decide on 12/27, while seeing our fans turn out in large numbers, that they want to be a part of adding another 4 wins to our record next year. 

• Upvote 2