TCU’s Patterson plea for fans one bridge too far

Harry

There is no good time to bag on the fans if you are the head coach of a football team that just finished .500, with a losing record in the Big 12. It helps, though, when you have your own statue.

Nonetheless, Gary Patterson selected just that time to charge forward and politely rip the thousands who wisely elected not to show up in the cold and the rain for TCU’s snore blowout home loss on Saturday to Kansas State.

But, good news, TCU fans — the Horned Frogs are going to the Liberty Bowl to play Georgia. That should inspire them.

After the loss to K-State, GP was understandably disgusted with a crowd that did not show up from start to finish ... kinda like his team.

The announced attendance was the laughably inflated 42,746. Call it a major upset if 20,000 showed at Amon G. Carter Stadium on Saturday. And those people deserve medals for sitting in that muck to watch that boring game.

“I was happy with the student section that was here. I wasn’t happy with the rest of it. Didn’t finish the deal. When we win championships we want TCU to be along but rain or shine, everybody’s got to be there. You’re all in or all out,” GP said. “I promise you, if we were in Manhattan, Kansas it would have been packed.”

Start with the reality that there is less than absolutely nothing to do in Manhattan, Kan., and move to the fact that TCU is a private school with an enrollment of 10,000 located in a major metropolitan area.

This transparent shot from the head coach at TCU fans is long overdue. It is also pointless. This is one hill not even GP can conquer.

This is simply a numbers game. While the support has grown exponentially for TCU athletics, and specifically TCU football, since the school was dumped during the original creation of the Big 12, there are not enough alums and T-shirt fans to create a demand to consistently fill a 45,000-seat stadium. Especially when the team is average or bad.

TCU attendance is the ultimate “It is what it is.”

read more:  http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/the-big-mac-blog/article118889263.html

There were certainly 45,000 people in the immediate vicinity of the game, but thousands elected not to use their tickets and simply drink beer at the tailgate.

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/the-big-mac-blog/article118889263.html#storylink=cpy

I will never EVER.....EVER understand this behavior...........EVER.

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, meangreendork said:

Turning on the fans is asking for trouble. You can say something like, "wish we had more fans with us" but you don't full-on criticize them unless they're being unruly. 

Would a Coach Mac crying presser have worked? 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

question....why were you not at the game?  You are local and all...  I say GMG....but go to my wife's Alma Mater games when we can....RTR

Tickets are expensive.  We go to 1 TCU game a year for the same price for our UNT season tickets.  This year, we decided on the Okie State game and were at that one.  After the Okie State game, we went straight to Denton for the senior night game too.  My wife kicks ass!

• Upvote 6