HOD bowl VS.....

SSP

23 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

Making observations is not complaining.  I am proud of what this team has done.  However just because we have been bad doesn't change me expectations when it comes to spending over $100 out of my tight entertainment budget.  I don't have other sports or school's gear in my house just loads of UNT stuff.  So don't question my financial commitment to the university when I am alumni association member,  and Mean Green Club member.  If I have a spare $100 around Christmas I would rather donated it directly to the MGC, the College of Engineering or the Alumni Association.   No I would not have turned a 5-7 season in midst of that garbage last year however I wouldn't pay take a vacation and spend over $100 to "celebrate" it.

Those casual fans aren't going take a day off work, sit in the cold in a bad stadium to see them play the same team they watched them play 2 months ago on TV either.  That being said if and I mean "IF" a good turnout will help us get a trip to the actual New Year's Day Cotton Bowl Game I hope people show up.  But you know what trumps all this BS talk about the quality of the bowl game you get?  Finish the season as the top rank G5 conference champion or finish the regular season with 2 losses or less.  That is he standard you should be aspiring too not hoping that a bowl committee sees your mediocre program as a cash cow.

If the point that you're trying to make is that winning rids the disagreements about the conditions at which we're going bowling, then yes I agree with you. Post a 10+ win season with a bowl in DFW then it wouldn't matter who we're playing, what day's the game, etc and that support from our 200k+ local alumni wouldn't be as much of a concern. Unfortunately we went 1-11 and not 11-1 last year, so I am more than ecstatic. I still don't think the casual fan will take into consideration our future schedules or that we've already played Army this year when deciding if they're going to go and support their school.

Edited by brooks91
  • Upvote 1

Regardless of how you feel about the match-up, @Cerebus bring up an excellent point. We need to continue to flex our DFW bowl game attendance muscles, so to speak, and show that we can bring in our local support who may not even show up in Denton. Our 2013 showing and subsequent disappointing attendances the last two years are what got us HoD this year. If we have good attendance again it makes HoD or even Armed Forces a continual possibility. I think travelling for bowl games could be fun, but I'd still always rather they be in my backyard. 

• Upvote 3

40 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

I'm only butthurt because you used your out of context. 

I'll be at this game. That goes without saying. I'm just disappointed in the laziness of the bowl system. When would the bowl system not only pair P5 teams up that played one another in the regular season, but are also contracted to play each other for the next five years? Answer: They wouldn't. And that's where my feathers get a little rustled. The blatant disrespect to the "G5." 

There is nno disrepect playing Army again at all.. Honestly it's great. People can say oh we should be playing Navy and LAT vs Army.. Those games would/could be very 1 sided which no of the bowl games want because it will make fans leave early and wont be something to watch on TV either... Also with us ending up in the HoD most likely LAT got to pick who they would play as well since AF and HoD are both ran by ESPN. Navy is a bigger/ranked program and that is something LAT wanted along with playing in DFW... and the HoD wanted UNT most likely.. Again, Army and UNT are in the same class and are both below LAT and Navy... Plus C-USA most likely wanted these match ups as well, for the conference possibly have a better record as well... Plus it seems fair to pair up APR teams vs each other as well.

21 minutes ago, Matt from A700 said:

Do some people need to be reminded that we were 1-11 last year? And they're bitching about a rematch that's being played in our backyard?

Its very typical to over-react on here for some members... Some people on here thought SL was good as gone after the USM win, but after UTEP they were ready to fire and move on from some of the coaches on the staff... Honestly playing in the HoD is a big deal because its a local game and in SMUs backyard, and playing Army is something honestly that could be give us alot of positive energy going into the spring/ signing day/ and summer camps as well... Everyone needs to remember how we felt after the last game vs Army.. I'm not saying we will come out and dominate again because these teams are very different from then but this is a school that we recruit against a lot and a game that will be played when recruits are home and watching TV, along with local kids have the ability to go to the game as well( Which i hope UNT can find a way to get a ton of tickets to give to local recruits or even make it cheaper for them to come see us play.)

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I think i get what you're saying. Suck it up this time around for a better matchup in another year or two. I just can't imagine the average fan being exited about a game against a team we'll play every year through 2021. Would you be exited if the game was against UTSA? Or Southern Miss? Didn't think so.

Allow me to retort:

1. In 2014 there were literally THOUSANDS of North Texas fans who we have never seen in Denton but who showed up to the HOD Bowl.  I'm guessing that means they weren't real big followers of the regular season and came when they saw that their alma mater was finally in a bowl game and it was local.  These same people (like MANY North Texas alums) are likely still clueless concerning who we played this season...or who we play in the future

They'll hear North Texas vs Army in a bowl game...and that's it.  

2. How many North Texas fans wanted to see our first game against Army, couldn't make it to New York, and will now jump at the chance to see the rematch?  I know, I know, they can see Army next season...but, if they're anything like me, they want to see it NOW.  

3.  Does ANYONE believe that Army won't do it up big for this game?  Just because this isn't named the Armed Forces Bowl doesn't mean the military pageantry won't be on display.  A blackhawk fly-over isn't out of the question.  Nor is a static display of tanks, APC's, etc outside of the stadium.  Hell, there was a helicopter on display outside the stadium this season when we played Rice!!  The cool march in, efforts to reach out to local bases and veterans groups, all the stops could be pulled out.  And Army recruits DFW like anyone else...this is an opportunity game for them too. 

I say we set the HOD attendance record...yeah, I said it

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I think i get what you're saying. Suck it up this time around for a better matchup in another year or two. I just can't imagine the average fan being exited about a game against a team we'll play every year through 2021. Would you be exited if the game was against UTSA? Or Southern Miss? Didn't think so.

Yes

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

16 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

Allow me to retort:

1. In 2014 there were literally THOUSANDS of North Texas fans who we have never seen in Denton but who showed up to the HOD Bowl.  I'm guessing that means they weren't real big followers of the regular season and came when they saw that their alma mater was finally in a bowl game and it was local.  These same people (like MANY North Texas alums) are likely still clueless concerning who we played this season...or who we play in the future

Those same fans were off work on January 1st, 2014 to watch us pummel UNLV. Those same fans don't make it to Denton on a Saturday. Those same fans won't take a day off work on December 27th and pay $50 or $75 to watch us play Army just like they won't show up to watch us play Army in Denton next season. If our attendance is high this bowl game it's because first responders are getting free tickets, not because UNT brings a record number of fans.

• Downvote 8

2 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

but this is a school that we recruit against a lot

I hope SMU is the school you are referring too.  UNT is not recruiting against Army a lot.  If you are considering Army football is probably not your biggest concern and if you qualify for the Army Academy academically.  UNT is tougher to get into these days but it isn't at that level yet.

• Downvote 5

4 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

I hope SMU is the school you are referring too.  UNT is not recruiting against Army a lot.  If you are considering Army football is probably not your biggest concern and if you qualify for the Army Academy academically.  UNT is tougher to get into these days but it isn't at that level yet.

Not sure if you have seen, but a  # of target recruits also have offers from the service academies.. but SMU is something we recruit against as well

1 hour ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Those same fans were off work on January 1st, 2014 to watch us pummel UNLV. Those same fans don't make it to Denton on a Saturday. Those same fans won't take a day off work on December 27th and pay $50 or $75 to watch us play Army just like they won't show up to watch us play Army in Denton next season. If our attendance is high this bowl game it's because first responders are getting free tickets, not because UNT brings a record number of fans.

UNT I bet will have something for students like they did against UTSA, just hope they present it quicker than they did vs UTSA which they did on Thursday night with buses leaving Saturday AM

2 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

Allow me to retort:

2. How many North Texas fans wanted to see our first game against Army, couldn't make it to New York, and will now jump at the chance to see the rematch?  I know, I know, they can see Army next season...but, if they're anything like me, they want to see it NOW.  

3.  Does ANYONE believe that Army won't do it up big for this game?  Just because this isn't named the Armed Forces Bowl doesn't mean the military pageantry won't be on display.  A blackhawk fly-over isn't out of the question.  Nor is a static display of tanks, APC's, etc outside of the stadium.  Hell, there was a helicopter on display outside the stadium this season when we played Rice!!  The cool march in, efforts to reach out to local bases and veterans groups, all the stops could be pulled out.  And Army recruits DFW like anyone else...this is an opportunity game for them too. 

1. That is nothing to celebrate that is a HUGE problem.  These fans didn't come to Denton the following year and they won't come to Denton in 2017 season regardless of what happens in the game.  I am often lectured about how having a game the Cotton Bowl during the State Fair is a bad idea but for this bowl it is great all the sudden.  I don't understand that.  If these fans don't come to Denton in the future then what point?  I hope they have a good time and UNT get some good pub but it is a flash in the pan if you don't win big.

2.  I don't have a retort.  It is great that you are excited but I believe you are in very small minority of local UNT Alumni.  (Most who don't even know gmg.com exist) 

3.  I don't think Army Academy really "recruits" (at least for sports) like this comment seems to suggest.  As a veteran from a family of veterans seeing military hardware is not exciting for my family or me either.

I hope you have a great time. Go Mean Green.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 9

35 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

1. That is nothing to celebrate that is a HUGE problem.  These fans didn't come to Denton the following year and they won't come to Denton in 2017 season regardless of what happens in the game.  I am often lectured about how having a game the Cotton Bowl during the State Fair is a bad idea but for this bowl it is great all the sudden.  I don't understand that.  If these fans don't come to Denton in the future then what point?  I hope they have a good time and UNT get some good pub but it is a flash in the pan if you don't win big.

2.  I don't have a retort.  It is great that you are excited but I believe you are in very small minority of local UNT Alumni.  (Most who don't even know gmg.com exist) 

3.  I don't think Army Academy really "recruits" (at least for sports) like this comment seems to suggest.  As a veteran from a family of veterans seeing military hardware is not exciting for my family or me either.

1.. The problem with having a game at the Cotton Bowl is 1 we will lose a home game if play as the home team there, and even if play someone like SMU then it would flip and again we would lose a home game every other year, plus we have to pay to rent out the stadium.. UNT isn't making the $ to rent/market a game... Maybe they could talk Notre Dame into a playing UNT at the Cotton Bowl as part of the Notre Dame series similar to when they played Army at UTSA this season. Also, people don't come to Denton because its "UNT" and just not a team that has any real true success in years.. But coming to a bowl game, shows to bowls and recruits that this is something building

2. They announced the game 6 hours ago, and most people have no idea but when they see it online/ newspaper/ co-workers.. It will spread.. Also, students will spread the word as well. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if MWR trips are offered by bases as well such as Hood and Sill, even though most people will be leave and this would be during the work week for most active duty. 

3. Army recruits all over and we have had multiple kids get offers from different service academies.Yes to most recent and former Vets, military hardware isn't a big deal, but local recruiting stations should be offering out tickets to kids that are waiting to ship out to BCT and to families that had service members they may/could be excited to see the hardware. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, bleedgreen4ever said:

I'm fed up with stupidity. Yes, it is plain STUPID to be bitching about who our opponent is when we got LUCKY for getting invited to the HOD bowl game. Moreover, it's STUPID to be disappointed to play against a service academy in a bowl game, regardless if we played them already in the same season. We're not Alabama, goodness gracious. We need to be super excited and relay that sentiment to the casual fan so that we have a great turnout! Enough of this stupidity and get to work and motivate others to take the day off work to watch a great bowl game in their own backyard!!!

So if someone disagrees with you they are both stupid and now motivated to do your bidding?

Interesting...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

On 12/4/2016 at 3:41 PM, jredallas said:

So, I just purchased a ticket for my father, a North Texas alum from 1962 who has never been to a bowl game before, to go with me to the HoD Bowl.  Since my parents were going to be in town already for Christmas, this made for a pretty easy choice of a gift this year.

Now that is a Christmas "feel good" story.

Hope your dad & y'all have a great time at the HOD Bowl game.  See y'all on Game Day!?✳️?

• Upvote 3

On 12/4/2016 at 6:10 PM, BTG_Fan1 said:

Also with us ending up in the HoD most likely LAT got to pick who they would play as well since AF and HoD are both ran by ESPN.

FYI, Navy was already locked in to the Armed Forces Bowl (of course if they had ended up as highest G5 champ, someone else would have taken the slot). The tie-in pre-dates Navy's AAC affiliation. I believe this is the final pre-AAC tie-in for Navy and they will become part of the AAC bowl tie-in procedure in 2017. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/4/2016 at 7:37 PM, Mike Jackson said:

1.  Fighting the fried oreo eating crowd to go to a game at the Cotton Bowl in October is a whipping compared to not fighting the fair crowd and going to a game at the Cotton Bowl.  Those fans that didn't come were the result of a lazy AD that did nothing to capitalize on that season.  This AD already is ahead of the game compared to RV and Co.

2.  I think a lot of people are excited.  See how opinions work.  Just by basing my assumption off of those on here that are excited vs. the 2 or 3 that aren't, I would assume this is the same for the general UNT public.

3.  Army recruits nationwide.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, THOR said:

gonna bring any of that moldovan brew???

glad you are making it back man!

Not really known for beer here; this is wine country ? 

It is known for it's gorgeous women and I am bringing one of those with me.  

• Upvote 1

I didn't know that UNT played at Army this year and didn't know that UNT even got into a bowl game.  That's awesome that y'all beat out another 5-7 team in Austin and in University Park for a bowl game.  Army is a cool opponent.  They're not as good as Navy this year -- guess this weekend will determine that for sure -- but they draw ratings and way more fans than UNLV.  Good reward for the players and excellent progress in year one for Seth and the gang. 

• Upvote 2