'17 TE Hunter Gieser (SW Christian) [Verbal: NT]

cjones

• 1 month later...

Just watched his highlights. This film is some of my favorite i've seen in our class. The kid is 6"4 220 and runs a 4.75. He attacks the ball at the high point and sells his fake blocks before routes. Really great athlete. The why not more offers question is because the competition level he plays at. He plays in TAPPS I assume so big fish small pond. I think this is absolutely a risk worth taking after watching the film. I'm excited to see this kid in green.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

49 minutes ago, Caw Caw said:

Just watched his highlights. This film is some of my favorite i've seen in our class. The kid is 6"4 220 and runs a 4.75. He attacks the ball at the high point and sells his fake blocks before routes. Really great athlete. The why not more offers question is because the competition level he plays at. He plays in TAPPS I assume so big fish small pond. I think this is absolutely a risk worth taking after watching the film. I'm excited to see this kid in green.

Tapps argument not a good one, plenty of solid D1 talent there. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

Tapps argument not a good one, plenty of solid D1 talent there. 

This is true but it's speckled across teams. I played 4 years in TAPPS. I had kids who started on my team, usually in places like corner, receiver who didn't belong on middle school a teams. It's not that the talent doesn't exist, it's just harder to evaluate it because it's an unequal playing ground. We played in districts with schools twice and half our size. Two kids from my high school had D1 offers my freshman year. I'm just saying coaches would be more wary of offering a kid playing at this level than if he were at Allen, Aledo, etc, etc. Yes some people he matched up with were quality opponents but inconsistently, that's a much harder evaluation in my opinion.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Caw Caw said:

Good post. This is a nice pickup for certain. Good athlete who can be developed into a productive player here.

46 minutes ago, Caw Caw said:

This is true but it's speckled across teams. I played 4 years in TAPPS. I had kids who started on my team, usually in places like corner, receiver who didn't belong on middle school a teams. It's not that the talent doesn't exist, it's just harder to evaluate it because it's an unequal playing ground. We played in districts with schools twice and half our size. Two kids from my high school had D1 offers my freshman year. I'm just saying coaches would be more wary of offering a kid playing at this level than if he were at Allen, Aledo, etc, etc. Yes some people he matched up with were quality opponents but inconsistently, that's a much harder evaluation in my opinion.

Eh, with all the camps etc that are around now I think they get plenty of evaluation.  Maybe game tape you could argue would be hard to evaluate, but even then if a kid is D1 you can tell in the way he moves, cuts, gets in and out of breaks etc.  I also played in TAPPS played with a few D1 guys and against more.  Thanks Bishop Dunne, Nolan Catholic, and Midland Christian lol 

16 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

Eh, with all the camps etc that are around now I think they get plenty of evaluation.  Maybe game tape you could argue would be hard to evaluate, but even then if a kid is D1 you can tell in the way he moves, cuts, gets in and out of breaks etc.  I also played in TAPPS played with a few D1 guys and against more.  Thanks Bishop Dunne, Nolan Catholic, and Midland Christian lol 

Exactly. If films were evaluated in terms on good play vs. bad play then it would make things a lot tougher to evaluate. It certainly is more comforting to see a kid have success against top competition, but ultimately you're looking for the attributes and how they translate to the next level. As you pointed out.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, GMG24 said:

You're also picking the large powerhouse TAPPS schools. Not the Pantegos, A+ Academies, Muenster Sacred Hearts, Abeline Christian, etc. At the top it's much harder to discriminate between Texas High School football and private Texas high school football. And I agree, there are camps and a lot more athletes than even when I was playing.

35 minutes ago, Caw Caw said:

You're also picking the large powerhouse TAPPS schools. Not the Pantegos, A+ Academies, Muenster Sacred Hearts, Abeline Christian, etc. At the top it's much harder to discriminate between Texas High School football and private Texas high school football. And I agree, there are camps and a lot more athletes than even when I was playing.

That's what I played and coached against. 

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Caw Caw said:

9 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

That's what I played and coached against. 

Can confirm this. Having played for and graduating from Midland Lee, most of the really good athletes were recruited to Midland Christian because they knew it was their best shot at getting a state championship.