Projection indicating Arizona Bowl vs. Idaho

Harry

Not the most high profile bowl but I like it because it gives us a chance to win our 6th game.  Thoughts?

ARIZONA BOWL
Matchup: CUSA/Mountain West/Sun Belt
Date: Dec. 30, 2016
Projection: North Texas vs. Idaho
Read more at http://www.inquisitr.com/3748482/2016-ncaa-college-football-bowl-projections-for-all-41-bowl-games-where-could-your-team-end-up/#wQjSCUJu6u45vb0T.99

The problem with this projection is it lists CUSA/Mountain West/Sun Belt as the tie-ins. It's a MWC/Sun Belt bowl, both of which have enough teams to fill this game and their others. Maybe the author has some source that says MWC is willing to trade this game to CUSA so that we don't get crushed in a game like the Vegas bowl or Armed Forces. 

Edited by ChristopherRyanWilkes
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Harry said:
Not the most high profile bowl but I like it because it gives us a chance to win our 6th game.  Thoughts?

ARIZONA BOWL
Matchup: CUSA/Mountain West/Sun Belt
Date: Dec. 30, 2016
Projection: North Texas vs. Idaho
Read more at http://www.inquisitr.com/3748482/2016-ncaa-college-football-bowl-projections-for-all-41-bowl-games-where-could-your-team-end-up/#wQjSCUJu6u45vb0T.99

Like it! Nice place to travel!

• Upvote 1

Downside is Idaho has announced their intention to move down to FCS in 2018.  Also the bowl will not get a ton of coverage, more ESPN 3 type.   Upside is a late date (Dec 30th) means more practice time, less impact on academics.  Also a game we could win to hit 6.  I think Idaho is a lock for this bowl as an opponent.

1 hour ago, MGNation92 said:

I've seen this one and against San Diego St. in Las Vegas.

I'd much rather play Idaho. More winnable game IMO

Eeeeek!  San Diego State would be an ugly game for us.  They are really good.

Let me sidebar this by saying the Aztecs have one of my favorite coaches leading them, Rocky Long.  I think he was a great at New Mexico, but he's been even better at SD State. 

He's given the Aztecs six consecutive seven or better wins seasons, something that hasn't happened at SD State since the 60s and 70s when Don Coryell and Claude Gilbert were coaching there. 

Long is, in my opinion, the most underrated coach in America.  In his last 14 years of coaching he's taken either New Mexico or San Diego State to 11 bowl games and had only two losing seasons:  five bowl games at New Mexico, now six with the Aztecs. 

Before, Long, that type of success was unheard of at those outposts, where they'd occasionally have a winning season, and might string two or, rarely, three together.  The guy can truly recruit and coach to his competition level:  http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/coaches/rocky-long-1.html

Edited by MeanGreenMailbox
  • Upvote 2

We're not going to play in the Arizona bowl. The MWC has 7 bowl tie-ins, and 7 bowl eligible teams. ULL and S Alabama play this weekend, and only one needs to win to fill all sun belt bowl tie-ins. So I think it's safe to rule out us playing in the crappiest bowl game in the post season. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

CUSA champ gets to pick their bowl...I think if WKU wins the conference they may go another route than the HoD. That would leave that door open for the HoD to invite North Texas. We are not a good North Texas team right now, but even then one has to think that this bowl would want to invite us if the conference champ doesn't select the bowl. Local bowls should want relatively local teams. This will hamper local spending to give the local economy a little boost, but attendance will be higher than it has been the last few years.  

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Wonder how many of those kids from AZ western will have friends and other recruits come to the game as well. Also, I will take us on ESPN over not being on TV at all. While I wouldn't expect a huge crowd from UNT, it could be a descent size. Honestly wanting something close by but I'm considering going just to support the guys no matter the outcome.. the team responsed when we have a crowd at times look at Rice lol 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

ouch....that would be a tough game.....but still bonus football....close by!!!!  It would give me a reason to go to Joe T's, Rick's, and Kincaid's....as well as the game!!!

I would go just because of the proximity, but damn we might end up playing a conference champion. Also there's a slim chance Navy gets into the Cotton Bowl if they are considered the best G5 team available. Would probably need a W Michigan team to lose their conference championship game. 

• Upvote 1