MGB: Five thoughts on UNT's loss to UTEP

Brett Vito

12 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

I'm having trouble understanding what the "unpopular opinion" he's referencing at the end is.  It's obviously not an opinion that UNT hasn't been a consistent winner since '02-04.  Is he talking about it being unpopular to say that recruiting is important to winning?

I believe he's referencing every North Texas fan's favorite line: "UNT is a hard place to recruit to."

Edited by greenb.o.g.
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Harry said:

Which is total BS BTW...

Yeah, its hard to recruit to when you don't get in local HS and recruit local kids who make plays.  I've spoken with multiple coaches from multiple DFW schools who have kids ready to go here just waiting for an offer.  

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

52 minutes ago, greenb.o.g. said:

I believe he's referencing every North Texas fan's favorite line: "UNT is a hard place to recruit to."

I thought he was referring to the way some people bristle at the mention of Dickey's tenure as "the good ol' days".  Strangely some STILL refuse to admit that, in our football history, 01-04 is pretty close to the summit. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

I thought he was referring to the way some people bristle at the mention of Dickey's tenure as "the good ol' days".  Strangely some STILL refuse to admit that, in our football history, 01-04 is pretty close to the summit. 

If it's not the actual summit, you can throw a rock and hit it from there, at least in the modern era.  

How about our team just sucks? Seriously, our D makes an above average running back look like a Heisman candidate, our special teams, mainly punter, has butter fingers, and our offense is pretty pathetic.

The only thing worse than our play today was the shitty camera coverage. UTEP's a punchline and they smoked us. I'm ashamed today and this team and staff should be ashamed. This is total bs.

I really am embarrassed to be a fan and alumni today.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

11 minutes ago, UNTexas said:

How about our team just sucks? Seriously, our D makes an above average running back look like a Heisman candidate, our special teams, mainly punter, has butter fingers, and our offense is pretty pathetic.

The only thing worse than our play today was the shitty camera coverage. UTEP's a punchline and they smoked us. I'm ashamed today and this team and staff should be ashamed. This is total bs.

I'm ashamed that so many feel this team deserves a bowl because of "grades" and because seniors and others "bought in". Mediocre.

10 hours ago, GMG24 said:

Yeah, its hard to recruit to when you don't get in local HS and recruit local kids who make plays.  I've spoken with multiple coaches from multiple DFW schools who have kids ready to go here just waiting for an offer.  

Like whom? Could you list them?

-not trying to be a jack wagon, I'd just like to see where these kids end up. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, UNTexas said:

I feel the EXACT same way. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

11 hours ago, GMG24 said:

Multiple coaches from multiple DFW schools are waiting for an offer from any school.  There are still a lot of high school coaches that think little ole NT should be happy to take their players that have few or none fb division opportunities.  I am a lot more concerned with recruiting players that are more highly sought.  

9 hours ago, UNTexas said:

Jones is a way above average running back, but the Cowboys' Elliot should not have that kind of game against NT.  Keena is probably the best player on the team, so I would drop the butter fingers reference.  

I don't think a lot of you have watched University provided feeds.   This was far from the worse.  As far as announcers, NT has always had the best and listening to others, only magnifies that.   

I have never been embarrassed to be a fan or alumni.   If I was, it sure would not be about a sports loss.   

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

Multiple coaches from multiple DFW schools are waiting for an offer from any school.  There are still a lot of high school coaches that think little ole NT should be happy to take their players that have few or none fb division opportunities.  I am a lot more concerned with recruiting players that are more highly sought.  

Jones is a way above average running back, but the Cowboys' Elliot should not have that kind of game against NT.  Keena is probably the best player on the team, so I would drop the butter fingers reference.  

I don't think a lot of you have watched University provided feeds.   This was far from the worse.  As far as announcers, NT has always had the best and listening to others, only magnifies that.   

I have never been embarrassed to be a fan or alumni.   If I was, it sure would not be about a sports loss.   

It has nothing to do with little ole NT and has everything to do with kids who can play who get overlooked bc they're undersized etc etc,. Walter Dawn out at UTEP.  Coached against him, I'm sure he'll be making plays for UTEP for the next few years.  Solid HS football player who was just too small according to many recruiters.

look no further than 25 miles south in FT. Worth they didn't start by recruiting biggest baddest dudes around.  They got dudes who were undersized that could play and WON, won consistently then bigger faster dudes wanted to go there bc they were winning. 

Edited by GMG24
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, 817Fan said:

Like whom? Could you list them?

-not trying to be a jack wagon, I'd just like to see where these kids end up. 

Damon Williams Ft. Worth Boswell HS 

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/4836425/damon-williams

Lazarus Fisher Mesquite HS 

http://www.hudl.com/video/3/3898875/5832134d5b3cd925e8879f0d

Nate Shelton Sachse HS 

http://www.hudl.com/video/3/4315033/58362d0bdfd8b9282c437d7e

Devodric Bynum Lincoln HS

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/4053387/devodric-bynum

FWIW FIlani is following both Shelton and Bynum  Kids want to stay local just don't get the chance often times.  We aren't going to go get the guys that look the part until we start winning, it is what it is. 

11 hours ago, All About UNT said:

I'm ashamed that so many feel this team deserves a bowl because of "grades" and because seniors and others "bought in". Mediocre.

You're  kidding right? You would rather sit at home and not recognize this turn around? How many scholarships are we lacking? This team  did a damn good job this year and I'm proud of them. If we go to a bowl then feel free stay home.  

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, mgfan said:

You're  kidding right? You would rather sit at home and not recognize this turn around? How many scholarships are we lacking? This team  did a damn good job this year and I'm proud of them. If we go to a bowl then feel free stay home.  

We would be short by 17 total scholarships.