Turn down the invite

emmitt01

We don't deserve it but it's happening and we're going. What's the worse that can happen, we lose? That was likely either way. And 6-6 wasn't catching any national attention anyways. We got hammered, oh well. Let it be a teaching moment for the young guys and move on. This was a season to build on anyways considering everyone's expectations were literally 0 when we started. We were talking about hopefully beating BC at the beginning of the season. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3

5 minutes ago, Side Show Joe said:

In my opinion... losing at least 52-17 to what was a 3 win UTEP team to finish 5-7 shouldn't earn you an extra 35K. Plus we lost to UTSA. I'm still pissed about that.

I don't know man.  In the beginning of the season we thought we were a 1-2 win team at most.  Green koolaid guys thought 4 wins.  If you had been offered for the University to give ole' Seth 35K to get you to 5-6 in the end then hash out a game with UTEP for a possible 6, you likely would have taken it. That being said, I think he has plenty of money but if 35K is in the contract and we go bowling?  As long as he doesn't play Morris, I'm FINE with it.

Edited by EagleGreen
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Just now, CaribbeanGreen said:

This is silly fun. We are North Texas, of the one win team that got blown sideways by Portland State. Someone offers this thing a BOWL GAME?!?!? You kiss the ring, say yes through your sobs of joy, high five your friends, and get ready to party. Go. By. God. Mean. Green. 

No doubt!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Travis said:

Sucks the way we ended the season. But I am glad Littrell has got us four more wins. I think I said we would g 4-8 and we did one better. I am optimistic about next year with a pretty solid NT and hopefully a better stable of QB's and WR's. 

We really need to work on the QB and WR stable.  Hopefully we get lucky and have a few good ones fall our way. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

We were talking about hopefully beating BC at the beginning of the season. 

That's a great point.  I was honestly worried about BC before the year.

This game sucked, but SL improved our win total by 500% this season.  If he keeps that up, we'll end next year at 25 wins... that has to get us in the play in game.  In 2018 we'll win 125 games, and that will get us home field advantage through the American League playoffs.. lets try to look at the bright side.  

36 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

That's a great point.  I was honestly worried about BC before the year.

This game sucked, but SL improved our win total by 500% this season.  If he keeps that up, we'll end next year at 25 wins... that has to get us in the play in game.  In 2018 we'll win 125 games, and that will get us home field advantage through the American League playoffs.. lets try to look at the bright side.  

Beating SMU and UTSA in the same year counts for 20 wins.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Wow, would have thought the score would have been flipped on this one!  This was a reminder that we are very much a middle of the road CUSA team...not the worst, but certainly not the best.  The program has made significant progress this year, but there is so much work to do with recruiting and player development.  The competitor in me says we don't deserve to go to a bowl.  However, we desperately need the practices and time to develop these younger players.  So, for that reason, if we get the invite, we absolutely need, and there is zero doubt that we absolutely will accept the invite and the several weeks of practices, experience and money that comes with it.  Everyone must admit this season exceeded expectations after the horror of last year.  The program is certainly heading in the right direction!  Go Mean Green!

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Quoner said:

All the millennials who created bowl game expansion need to understand this is not how society works.

All the Gen Xers profiting from these bowl expansions need to remember that the integrity of college football is more important than money.

ETA. What's the average demographic for the CEO's of these corporate sponsors, or the school and NCAA administration? The people making money, I guarantee that the average is well above the age of 40. I dont know how you chalk this up to millenials when your generation was the one handing out participation trophies and celebrating elementary school graduations for mine.

Edited by brooks91
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 5

2 hours ago, Side Show Joe said:

I was raised to believe you only get what you earn. This team isn't earning a bowl game today. If they miracle their way back into a win, then fine, go bowling. But, right now all I want to give them is a good butt chewing.

This is embarrassing!

That game was embarrassing, but this team did earn a bowl by winning 5 games and having great grades.

Bowl games aren't some kind of post season/playoffs, we have playoffs for that.  The bowls work and here is why, it made games late in the season meaningful and interesting for a lot of teams that aren't the 7 or 8 in the real playoff hunt.  Meaningful college football for more teams makes all of college football better.

we didn't make the rules, but according to the rues we earned a bowl game. #wrinkled100dollarbill

1 hour ago, Quoner said:

All the millennials who created bowl game expansion need to understand this is not how society works.

You think Millenials, whose average age is mid to upper 20's have enough control that they created the new bowls?  

I will check heck on the executive management of ESPN, but I am guessing they are at least in their 40's or 50's.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

I see both sides of it.  After that performance, I'm ready to just stop the bleeding and start looking to next year.  And I don't like the idea that 5-7 teams are even allowed to play in bowl games.  Like the NCAA's version of participation ribbon.  

But, if winning the "Nobody gives a crap Bowl" potentially sways just a couple recruits, that might pass on us to sign with someone like UTSA, (which BURNS me more than losing....) then I think it's worth the little bit of pride you have to swallow for 3 hours, to get a talented kid or 2 invested for 4 years.   If we've learned anything, Recruiting is tough.  Take any freebie advantage you can get...

• Upvote 3