Seth Littrell may be candidate for open Houston job

Harry

2 hours ago, MeanGreenBuzz said:

If they hire Littrell I say we hire Strong and get him to agree to $1 a season to stick it to the shorthorns ? They still owe him $10.8m only reduced by what he makes at his next job.

No matter where Charlie ends up...this may be the best idea I've ever heard.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Just now, DeepGreen said:

I hate to lose like this too.  But this could be a culmination of poor recruiting at UNT for the last several years.  Hard to recruit to Denton/UNT?  Just a question.

We were down to 1 RB, 4 WR, And very sub par OL play.  It sucks to lose this bad and it looked awful.  Things will progress as long as they'll recruit. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, MeanGreenBuzz said:

If they hire Littrell I say we hire Strong and get him to agree to $1 a season to stick it to the shorthorns ? They still owe him $10.8m only reduced by what he makes at his next job.

I like the idea but I watched the press conference last night and Strong couldn't put together a complete sentence.  Hey, at least Seth can come up with a sentence and 5 wins.  

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

30 minutes ago, EagleGreen said:

I like the idea but I watched the press conference last night and Strong couldn't put together a complete sentence.  Hey, at least Seth can come up with a sentence and 5 wins.  

A complete sentence is always good, but can't UT just come out with one for Strong.  I mean, a grown man, especially  a coach, can understand "you're fired".  

Edited by eulessismore
  • Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

I hate to lose like this too.  But this could be a culmination of poor recruiting at UNT for the last several years.  Hard to recruit to Denton/UNT?  Just a question.

I guess coaching never gets put to blame around here. UTEP was 3-8. They freaking suck. We made them look like a legit CUSA title contender. When is coaching going to take some shots. Seems like a no-no around here. Bunch of sheep. 

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 11

4 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

I guess coaching never gets put to blame around here. UTEP was 3-8. They freaking suck. We made them look like a legit CUSA title contender. When is coaching going to take some shots. Seems like a no-no around here. Bunch of sheep. 

Don't cut yourself on all that edge.

Coaching can take shots when it's their team and they have more than like 60 players.

Edited by Ryan Munthe
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

2 minutes ago, Ryan Munthe said:

Don't cut yourself on all that edge.

Coaching can take shots when it's their team and they have more than like 60 players.

Bullshit. UTEP is a 3-8 caliber team. Don't drop that "their team" bs. We weren't playing a good football team today. Their best player went for almost 3 bills. He IS the offense. And we had nothing for it from first snap. This game was very telling to me. We. Shall. See. 

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 9

Our defense is built to stop/slow down spread teams, not pro style/power running teams.  I submit utsa and UTEP games as evidence.

We were still in the game until the special teams disaster then fought our way back to being close again int 3Q and intercepted a pass in their territory only to be negated by a defensive penalty on the play.  They score on the next play.  Pretty much church at that point.

Edited by TreeFiddy
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

Our defense is built to stop/slow down spread teams, not pro style/power running teams.  I submit utsa and UTEP games as evidence.

We were still in the game until the special teams disaster then fought our way back to being close again int 3Q and intercepted a pass in their territory only to be negated by a defensive penalty on the play.  They score on the next play.  Pretty much church at that point.

We were playing a One demensional offense! No we were playing a One player offense!!! Meltdown at all levels!!!

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, Travis said:

Why would they not be interested in la techs HC??

BC a lot of people on here think going from 1-11 to 5-7 is better than having a HC who repeating keeps the team competitive like LA Tech... I don't understand it.. SL was an offensive guy and before today we 116th... Meanwhile LA Tech as a top 5 offense in the entire nation

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

They have an NFL RB who could go in the first 3 rounds.  Usually guys like that look really good against sub par competition.  The coaches can't go out there and make plays.  I don't get why this concept is so hard.  Defense looked like crap because they couldn't get off the field long enough to get coached and make adjustments because the offense was going 3 and out because our qb couldn't throw it in the ocean if he was standing on the beach.   Was it all the players fault? No, coaches should have had a better game plan.  There really is only so much you can do with what they have.  With 68 (I think) scholarship players, you are looking at probably 35 ish for D and the same for O.  Take your 11 for starters and 11 more for 2nd team and your down to 13 D1 players per side of the ball to run scout team.  After that you have WALK ONS!!! That isn't going to give you a very good look in practice.  Much less when you're having to play said walk-ons in Division 1 football games because you're out of options with scholarship guys.   I really wish I had the time to put together our entire roster and list each offer they had.  

3 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

Bullshit. UTEP is a 3-8 caliber team. Don't drop that "their team" bs. We weren't playing a good football team today. Their best player went for almost 3 bills. He IS the offense. And we had nothing for it from first snap. This game was very telling to me. We. Shall. See. 

It would be so fun to come to your job and rip you like I knew what the hell I was talking about.  :) 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

3 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

We were playing a One demensional offense! No we were playing a One player offense!!! Meltdown at all levels!!!

THANK YOU

30 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

They have an NFL RB who could go in the first 3 rounds.  Usually guys like that look really good against sub par competition.  The coaches can't go out there and make plays.  I don't get why this concept is so hard.  Defense looked like crap because they couldn't get off the field long enough to get coached and make adjustments because the offense was going 3 and out because our qb couldn't throw it in the ocean if he was standing on the beach.   Was it all the players fault? No, coaches should have had a better game plan.  There really is only so much you can do with what they have.  With 68 (I think) scholarship players, you are looking at probably 35 ish for D and the same for O.  Take your 11 for starters and 11 more for 2nd team and your down to 13 D1 players per side of the ball to run scout team.  After that you have WALK ONS!!! That isn't going to give you a very good look in practice.  Much less when you're having to play said walk-ons in Division 1 football games because you're out of options with scholarship guys.   I really wish I had the time to put together our entire roster and list each offer they had.  

It would be so fun to come to your job and rip you like I knew what the hell I was talking about.  :) 

If I performed in my job like this staff performed today I wouldn't be there for you to come rip. The real business world is brutal. And today's results would most definitely not be tolerated in the real world of business. 

The apologists will sit here and make any and every excuse until this staff is ran out of town. Much like Mac and Co. There were walking, talking, and breathing UNT Alum/donors ready to go down with the Dan McCarney ship. I refuse to get on that ship. We got our faces pushed into the back of our brains by a 3-8 team (1 man team that went for 3 bills + 1 yard). Sit on that for a minute. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 11

11 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

THANK YOU

If I performed in my job like this staff performed today I wouldn't be there for you to come rip. The real business world is brutal. And today's results would most definitely not be tolerated in the real world of business. 

The apologists will sit here and make any and every excuse until this staff is ran out of town. Much like Mac and Co. There were walking, talking, and breathing UNT Alum/donors ready to go down with the Dan McCarney ship. I refuse to get on that ship. We got our faces pushed into the back of our brains by a 3-8 team (1 man team that went for 3 bills + 1 yard). Sit on that for a minute. 

I didn't give you the -1 just fyi,  I save those for your crazy posts.  

So They lost to UT a team full of far better athletes, they got crushed by Army who's team is designed to beat Power teams, Lost to Southern Miss with their stud QB (who would have beaten us had they had their QB), La Tech who took us to the wood shed, FIU probably should have been a W, UTSA they beat, Old Dominion they almost caught a top CUSA team, Houston Baptist clear win, Lost a tough one to FAU on the road, Got caught by Rice on Senior Day, and opened a can on us.  Probably one of the better 3-8 teams around.. That is a pretty solid team regardless of what you feel.  I get it, I hate losing as much as the next guy but man sometimes you gotta step back and look at everything before calling for everyone to be removed and everything burned to the ground and start over.

Sat, Sep 3
vs
-m-05pdjh6__56x42.pngNew Mexico State
W 22 - 38
Final

Sat, Sep 10
@
-m-0118b5s5__56x42.pngTexas
L 7 - 41
Final

Sat, Sep 17
vs
-m-026642h__56x42.pngArmy
L 66 - 14
Final

Sat, Sep 24
vs
-m-0gx20n0__56x42.pngSouthern Miss
L 34 - 7
Final

Sat, Oct 1
@
-m-05n01wz__56x42.pngLouisiana Tech
L 7 - 28
Final

Sat, Oct 8
vs
-m-02r7t9b__56x42.pngFIU
L 35 - 21
Final

Sat, Oct 22
@
-m-0566wj4__56x42.pngTexas-San Antonio
W 52 - 49
Final

Sat, Oct 29
vs
-m-05c60tz__56x42.pngOld Dominion
L 31 - 21
Final

Sat, Nov 5
vs
-m-0wp77cr__56x42.pngHouston Baptist
W 10 - 42
Final

Sat, Nov 12 @ Florida Atlantic L 31 - 35 Final

Sat, Nov 19 @ Rice L 24 - 44 Final

Sat, Nov 26 vs North Texas W 24 - 52 Final

5 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

I didn't give you the -1 just fyi,  I save those for your crazy posts.  

So They lost to UT a team full of far better athletes, they got crushed by Army who's team is designed to beat Power teams, Lost to Southern Miss with their stud QB (who would have beaten us had they had their QB), La Tech who took us to the wood shed, FIU probably should have been a W, UTSA they beat, Old Dominion they almost caught a top CUSA team, Houston Baptist clear win, Lost a tough one to FAU on the road, Got caught by Rice on Senior Day, and opened a can on us.  Probably one of the better 3-8 teams around.. That is a pretty solid team regardless of what you feel.  I get it, I hate losing as much as the next guy but man sometimes you gotta step back and look at everything before calling for everyone to be removed and everything burned to the ground and start over.

Sat, Sep 3
vs
-m-05pdjh6__56x42.pngNew Mexico State
W 22 - 38
Final

Sat, Sep 10
@
-m-0118b5s5__56x42.pngTexas
L 7 - 41
Final

Sat, Sep 17
vs
-m-026642h__56x42.pngArmy
L 66 - 14
Final

Sat, Sep 24
vs
-m-0gx20n0__56x42.pngSouthern Miss
L 34 - 7
Final

Sat, Oct 1
@
-m-05n01wz__56x42.pngLouisiana Tech
L 7 - 28
Final

Sat, Oct 8
vs
-m-02r7t9b__56x42.pngFIU
L 35 - 21
Final

Sat, Oct 22
@
-m-0566wj4__56x42.pngTexas-San Antonio
W 52 - 49
Final

Sat, Oct 29
vs
-m-05c60tz__56x42.pngOld Dominion
L 31 - 21
Final

Sat, Nov 5
vs
-m-0wp77cr__56x42.pngHouston Baptist
W 10 - 42
Final

Sat, Nov 12 @ Florida Atlantic L 31 - 35 Final

Sat, Nov 19 @ Rice L 24 - 44 Final

Sat, Nov 26 vs North Texas W 24 - 52 Final

3-8 is 3-8. Can't window dress an 8 loss team. They suck. We apparently suck worse. For crying out damn loud, this NFL back you speak of went 167 yards over his season average of 134. 

Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Downvote 6

1 minute ago, Ben Gooding said:

3-8 is 3-8. Can't window dress an 8 loss team. They suck. We apparently suck worse. 

La Tech, Old Dominion, UT, and USM UNT doesn't beat any of them this season either.  No window dressing just facts. 

2 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

La Tech, Old Dominion, UT, and USM UNT doesn't beat any of them this season either.  No window dressing just facts. 

Well, uh, we beat USM. ODU is speculation. And you named their best 4 lossess in your last post. That's half of their losses. 

Point is, this staff is underperforming. The play calling offensively has been HORRIBLY bad, Fine or Morris. Defense today was worse than any game last year outside of Portland State. Offense is about par to last year. We have played up in some games, mainly just Army (defense only). But we have been bad all season long. And a 3-8 team exposed us for what we are, the worst bowl team in history (that is if some no name pathetic bowl picks us up). 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

37 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

THANK YOU

5 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Well, uh, we beat USM. ODU is speculation. And you named their best 4 lossess in your last post. That's half of their losses. 

Point is, this staff is underperforming. The play calling offensively has been HORRIBLY bad, Fine or Morris. Defense today was worse than any game last year outside of Portland State. Offense is about par to last year. We have played up in some games, mainly just Army (defense only). But we have been bad all season long. And a 3-8 team exposed us for what we are, the worst bowl team in history (that is if some no name pathetic bowl picks us up). 

Well coaching isn't a normal job.. Also when you take over for someone like SL did, your boss/company will give you some time to get back up to speed and excel correct? I do agree that the staff has underperformered in all parts... Honestly the Defense was better earlier in the season and we all should agree on that... the D dominated the 1st half vs UF... and domintated vs Army even though Army didn't play up to the standards we expected and what Army expected either.. Also, they also go dominated by WKU, LAT, MTSU, UTSA to an extent.. and USM... WKU LAT and USM all have top 11 offenses.. UTSA has a great duo of RBs and so did UTEP... The offense at times flashed greatness.. like it did vs MTSU on that opening drive or even Army when Wilson took over the 2nd half...

I have been critical of the players and coaches, and I think that they all would admit that they haven't progressed or performed as they should going from Day 1 to where they should be today...Yes this team has shown flashes of being dominate Defense vs Florida( in the 1st half) at times vs USM (even though it was their 3rd string QB) and the offense vs Army in the 2nd half and from drives like the ones vs MTSU...

Honestly, I think if SL would have written out 5-7 and how the season went, yes we would have said he was crazy and took it.. but GH needs to progress and evolve as an OC.. yes maybe this was him learning, or maybe it was the OL and the entire offense... Ek and Reff honestly did great things but this team feel apart on defense at the end.. Could it be just being exhausted from the offense or depth? These are logical things that have to be factored in. 

Yes we will never know the answers to these questions, but this is Year 1 of a complete rebuild and gutting of the entire Ath. Department. UNT isn't like Bama or UT that can just get 50 million to go out and build new facilities or locker-rooms etc.. Yes SL and the other coaches have set the bar high and will have to work even harder to beat this record next year and everyone will agree that they need to progress and grow, also honestly it is great for everyone to be pissed off about this L because it shows everyone in engaged and wanting to see this program develop. Everyone here hates how this team can get dominated even by a single player, but this team was supposed to be 3-8 not 5-7.. The UNT mentality of not taken the 100 bucks because it is wrinkled up needs to go, and finding that 20 in your jean pocket needs to start kicking in.. Thinking positive and being positive will only lead to success.. Yes be mad about the game today/tonite.. but tomorrow or the day after you have to start getting ready for the next game. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, EagleGreen said:

Not gonna happen but good his name is being thrown around.  Good for us to have some mention.

I have only seen his name mentioned on that link Harry posted at the beginning of this thread. I've heard Orlando, Applewhite, and a few other names thrown out... including Holgorsen, which I think is ridiculous, because why would he leave WV for Houston?!?... but I'm not sure SL is on the list at all. Which is fine with me. I like him where he is.

9 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

I think his play calling can leave but his name recognition is definitely a helpful recruiting tool.

The UTEP radio crew was certainly enamoured with him (Graham Harrell).  They talked about his resume' several times and multiple times accidentally referred to North Texas as Texas Tech. 

7 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

THANK YOU

Moreso than college coaching?  You cray.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3