Anybody realize.....

meanrob

1 minute ago, meanrob said:

We're playing a huge game potentially without our starting quarterback, running back and leading receiver. On the road. 

Good test for this staff. Sometimes we forget how hard winning games is. Win this and I'll be very impressed. 

Is Thaddeous Thompson out?

5 minutes ago, meanrob said:

We're playing a huge game potentially without our starting quarterback, running back and leading receiver. On the road. 

Good test for this staff. Sometimes we forget how hard winning games is. Win this and I'll be very impressed. 

Well, we didnt have them last game either and won soooooooooooooooooooooo

• Upvote 4

The leading receiver on this team is Thad Thompson. Goree had 1/3 of his yards and receptions in about 1.5 quarters versus Middle back in early October. Thad has been the consistency in the WR corp and Turner Smiley turned it up a notch vs So Miss to help out. 

Big key in the game will be our D setting the edge vs their run game. We did a decent job of this in the 1st half vs So Miss and fell apart in the 2nd. We need a lot of very well timed run blitzes on Saturday. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

37 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

The leading receiver on this team is Thad Thompson. Goree had 1/3 of his yards and receptions in about 1.5 quarters versus Middle back in early October. Thad has been the consistency in the WR corp and Turner Smiley turned it up a notch vs So Miss to help out. 

Big key in the game will be our D setting the edge vs their run game. We did a decent job of this in the 1st half vs So Miss and fell apart in the 2nd. We need a lot of very well timed run blitzes on Saturday. 

No such thing.  A blitz is a stunt.  It doesn't care whether the play is a run or a pass and should be sound against both.

We stunted a lot against Marshall with success.  Saw a few against So. Miss., but they were able to pick them up.

Just make UTEP throw.... and try to score one more than they get.

That's all I care about this week.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I believe Fine and Wilson will be game time decisions as per Littrell in his press conference yesterday so we are at least gonna make UTEP gameplan for them. And planning for Fine vs Morris is a big difference. I love the fact that Seth doesn't show his hand with injuries. It keeps the other team guessing right up until game time.

9 hours ago, meanrob said:

You don't think this whole year has been a test? - damn good one at that.  These dudes can coach their tails off. Now it's time to see if they can recruit. 

• Upvote 5

9 hours ago, UNT86 said:

No such thing.  A blitz is a stunt.  It doesn't care whether the play is a run or a pass and should be sound against both.

We stunted a lot against Marshall with success.  Saw a few against So. Miss., but they were able to pick them up.

Just make UTEP throw.... and try to score one more than they get.

That's all I care about this week.

Blitz is a stunt??? Unless I'm not getting what you're saying, I've never, ever heard them used interchangeably.  Stunts are when the DL swap gaps crossing each other at the point of attack. There are designed run blitzes where LBs shoot gaps opposite of the DL controlled gap. And yes, you can run a stunt and blitz at the same time...

Edited by Got5onIt
  • Upvote 6

On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 11:29 PM, Got5onIt said:

Blitz is a stunt??? Unless I'm not getting what you're saying, I've never, ever heard them used interchangeably.  Stunts are when the DL swap gaps crossing each other at the point of attack. There are designed run blitzes where LBs shoot gaps opposite of the DL controlled gap. And yes, you can run a stunt and blitz at the same time...

There are first level stunts run by the defensive line such as a twist or a slant.  They may be run independent of the linebackers or in combination.

A blitz is a second level stunt run by the linebackers.  There is no such thing as a "run blitz".  All stunts must be gap sound and be able to withstand a run or a pass by the offense.  Some stunts are triggered by a specific key on the offense.  If you don't get the key, you don't run the stunt.

There are also third level stunts run by the secondary.  A "run blitz" is fiction since you cannot predetermine what the offensive play is when you call the stunt.

All stunts are designed to disrupt the blocking scheme or the natural timing of an offensive play... run or pass.

Don't let the knucklehead announcers on television fool you.  They know not what they are talking about.

Edited by UNT86

3 hours ago, UNT86 said:

There are first level stunts run by the defensive line such as a twist or a slant.  They may be run independent of the linebackers or in combination.

A blitz is a second level stunt run by the linebackers.  There is no such thing as a "run blitz".  All stunts must be gap sound and be able to withstand a run or a pass by the offense.  Some stunts are triggered by a specific key on the offense.  If you don't get the key, you don't run the stunt.

There are also third level stunts run by the secondary.  A "run blitz" is fiction since you cannot predetermine what the offensive play is when you call the stunt.

All stunts are designed to disrupt the blocking scheme or the natural timing of an offensive play... run or pass.

Don't let the knucklehead announcers on television fool you.  They know not what they are talking about.

Hmmmm, well I'm just going by what I remember. I played OL in high school & college and I don't ever remember referencing blitzing LBers as stunting. Of course, that was a very long time ago and things can certainly change.  You're right there are technically no "run blitzes". 

On November 25, 2016 at 4:18 PM, untbowler said:

why are we worried, all of the guys out against UTEP were out against a better USM team, so same game plan,but sthis time Defense does not fall asleep for majority of 2nd half

Winning with a team that isn't used to winning isn't easy. Add to that losing key players and this game on the road, I'm not sure why people thought this was in the bag. 

3 hours ago, meanrob said:

Winning with a team that isn't used to winning isn't easy. Add to that losing key players and this game on the road, I'm not sure why people thought this was in the bag. 

Anybody who has followed NT would never think any game is in the bag.  I thought NT would have a big challenge in El Paso.  However, I didn't expect NT to be run out of the stadium and play by far the worst game of the season.  

I guess that home field advantage paid off for UTEP despite their losing 4 straight at home and having an actual crowd of maybe 3000.    UTEP is one of the few programs this year and all time that is less used to winning than NT.  There were obviously a lot more reasons to believe that NT should win than UTEP; but UTEP didn't just win, they dominated every facet of the game.    

• Upvote 2