Littrell and Co.

Dr. Seuss

4 hours ago, MeanGreenDan said:

This year? No chance. We've improved, but have not set the world on fire.

In the next few years, I can only hope! For a G5 school, the best case scenario is to be a breeding and training ground for great P5 coaches of the future, like Houston has turned into. If we can get to that point, we will be in a great place.

1 hour ago, Eastwood Eagle said:

Tap the breaks. I think it would need two or three more seasons at a minimum with increasing wins for SL to jump ship.

Amen and i totally agree with you guys.. SL may get some looks and calls.. but very doubtful that he leaves... and so someone else said in the thread, when people make a hire they  are looking for Flashy.. Yes SL did some impressive things in terms of getting UNT to rebound and recover, but he didn't blow the doors off the team... The last I heard we were like in the 70s in ranking in defense, and I believe that was after the UTSA game so we don't have the LAT or WKU stats added in... and our offense has been very stagnate at times...

Yes SL did a great job and everyone can say look at what Gus Mal did at Auburn, yes he had Cam Newton but what has he done since? Yes Freese is doing great things at Ole Miss and he is recruiting great but they haven't had championship years either...

SL has another 2 or 3 years here.. I could see Baker possibly reworking SL contract to maybe give him a raise and maybe even increase the buyout as well for in the future years, but this whole SL is going isn't warranted... Why would someone like Tulsa want to hire SL pay him and his buy out when they could go get an Assistant alike we did with SL. No Middle-Tier School is going to go after SL, and no P5 schools will most likely either because nothing blows anyone away...   

• Upvote 3

But...

...we're looking at it from close up.  Other schools will see this:
-Wen't from 1-11 to bowl game in one season
-Did it with 68 scholarship players, barely more than an FCS school
-Did it with an unrecruited, small school Oklahoma, small stature, QB
-Huge turnaround on defensive side of the ball, excellent hires there (likely to have schools sniffing around the defensive coaches as well)

It's impressive.  Schools will notice. 

As posted a few days ago, what we need to hope is that our new AD is as shrewd as Arkansas State's has been in replacing coach after coach there to the tune of six straight bowl seasons under four different coaches:  http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/active/a/arkansas_state/yearly_totals.php

Actually not sure why Arkansas State's AD doesn't get more attention for what he's managed to do with the hires.  Maybe he has, but doesn't want to leave because he's also an Arkie State alum.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

But...

...we're looking at it from close up.  Other schools will see this:
-Wen't from 1-11 to bowl game in one season
-Did it with 68 scholarship players, barely more than an FCS school
-Did it with an unrecruited, small school Oklahoma, small stature, QB
-Huge turnaround on defensive side of the ball, excellent hires there (likely to have schools sniffing around the defensive coaches as well)

It's impressive.  Schools will notice. 

As posted a few days ago, what we need to hope is that our new AD is as shrewd as Arkansas State's has been in replacing coach after coach there to the tune of six straight bowl seasons under four different coaches:  http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/active/a/arkansas_state/yearly_totals.php

Actually not sure why Arkansas State's AD doesn't get more attention for what he's managed to do with the hires.  Maybe he has, but doesn't want to leave because he's also an Arkie State alum.

Yes we can can keep playing the but this and that.. Don't you think these ADs that are going to look into SL are going to do more in depth resource as well.. or even these companies that are hired... Yes this stuff is great and should be getting peoples attention... Remember how when UNT was looking and we said we wanted an Offensive-Minded HC? right now we rank 116th out of 128 teams in terms of Offense... along with 75th in Defense

BUT SL isn't going to get the credit for this defense going from 120th(which I think it was even lower than that last year) in the nation  to now which is #75 in the country, that improvement goes to Ek and Reff, but that improvement alone is 2 or 3 maybe even 4 wins... and the offense has been able to score as well at times..plus we have gotten lucky in games like the Rice game where we kept shooting ourself in the foot but were able to come back...and we have played teams as well when they weren't clicking either such as Army and Marshall.

In the big games SL honestly has been blown out.. UF we were solid for 1 half, MTSU we had 3 good drives, WKU nothing to be proud of besides getting in a lot of young guys, LAT we couldn't stop them and we had an okay day on offense but again they rank 57th on defense..Also for the record as well, as of right now LATech is 4th in the nation in offense, WKU is 11th and MTSU is 19th, and USM is 28th... we went 1-3 in those games and that W was against a 3rd string Freshman QB in his 2nd game, and that game we didn't exactly win it handily. 

Also, Fine was looked at by a schools such as OU and OSU and was offered a PWO slot.. He would have gotten recruited if he had been even 2 or 3 inches taller and had another 10-15 lbs on him, nor did Fine set college football on fire either... The defensive improvement is great yes but the defense has only been good but it has had some major flaw games as well.. Also, the improvement on defense could mean Ek or Reff leave for another DC job at a bigger school but they most likely aren't being viewed as HC candidates. 

Yes SL did some great things here, but if you look at the team as a whole, yes it improved but we improved from being ranked 120th or lower to now into the top 80 if we can clinch a bowl game... Nothing has been great or stands out in terms of rankings or #s... The team has shown improvement yes but when your 120th or lower you can only go up... What will be tellling is if SL and his staff and keep this improvement up on defense, and hopefully the offensive and get going like normal in SLs 2nd year like normal 

http://stats.ncaa.org/rankings?sport_code=MFB&division=11

also here is the link for anyone to see NCAA rankings... 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I'm not saying it wont happen.. What I'm saying is his resume as a HC isn't super impressive compared to other coaches being considered for jobs and nor should it be after 1 year with a very bad team from last year... Yes, SL has exceed everyone's expectations for this year... yes he did it with a bad team that he inherited from the previous coaches... But we didn't see anything major stand out on offense in terms of players becoming stars or even in terms of production either... Defensive is the the most improved of the 3 sides of the ball, and even that is just a slight increase but that slight increase is huge and was greatly needed by this team.. But the numbers and rankings don't back up him being a "Sexy" hire for some other school...

But if i were an AD at a mid-tier school like SMU or Tulsa or someone else why go for SL with the buyout? and if i'm a Power-5 school or someone trying to be one like HOU.. why not go for a super sexy name that is an OC or DC... Herman was an OC at Ohio State... P5 are the most likely route for SL and he is behind a few just in C-USA, let alone AAC, and MW... 

We all can freak out and think that SL is talking to someone else, but we have not heard 1 rumor that anyone would have any interest in him AT ALL.... 

Edited by BTG_Fan1

I honestly believe Eke has the best chance of moving on after the season. Tommy Mainord would be a close second. As for Seth the Tulsa job and Texas Tech scare me the most with him. As far as a Purdue or type of Job i don't see him being the type to making his family move across the country again unless it was a once in a life time type of opportunity. I wish he has enough of a Mike Leach Type of mind set that he wants to build something from the ground up and have stability. Because if not for craig james son i feel mike leach would still be rolling along in Lubbock. I could see Seth holding out to take over for Stoops at his alma mater. But even if he gets hired this year which i dont think is the case if i was betting. i have faith in wren and company that they would be able to keep on keeping on with the next hire! I honestly think next year is the year seth could land a big time offer. A huge senior class and in year two in seth offenses every where he has been is the year they make huge strides. not out of the relm of possibilities we could be in contention for cusa championship  

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

I honestly believe Eke has the best chance of moving on after the season. Tommy Mainord would be a close second. As for Seth the Tulsa job and Texas Tech scare me the most with him. As far as a Purdue or type of Job i don't see him being the type to making his family move across the country again unless it was a once in a life time type of opportunity. I wish he has enough of a Mike Leach Type of mind set that he wants to build something from the ground up and have stability. Because if not for craig james son i feel mike leach would still be rolling along in Lubbock. I could see Seth holding out to take over for Stoops at his alma mater. But even if he gets hired this year which i dont think is the case if i was betting. i have faith in wren and company that they would be able to keep on keeping on with the next hire! I honestly think next year is the year seth could land a big time offer. A huge senior class and in year two in seth offenses every where he has been is the year they make huge strides. not out of the relm of possibilities we could be in contention for cusa championship  

I agree about Ek having the best chance of leaving, and I would think the Tulsa and TT jobs are also scary but I don't know if Tulsa would drop that coin on a coach instead of investing that couple million dollar buy out into recruiting/ other coaches... Tech is scary but I think Tech will be loyal to Kliff and go out and get a DC, which would be cheaper than buying out Kliff and SL, but i agree with everything ele JD.. good post!

1 hour ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

We all can freak out and think that SL is talking to someone else, but we have not heard 1 rumor that anyone would have any interest in him AT ALL.... 

I'm quite sure SL was on no ones radar when we were first looking for a HC.  I honestly didnt hear about him until @MeanGreenBreakdown tweeted about some random possibility and was like "who is Seth Littrell"  All everyone was talking about is current OC's that were in the area, nothing about some OC in Chapel Hill... Just like no one is talking about some coach in Denton, TX. 

2 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

I thought Mainord would actually one of the first coaches that will probably leave.  He's still on salary from UK, he's making around 275k and we're only paying him $75k. 

Littrell is not going anywhere. What he's accomplished his year with a horrendous roster of 60-something scholarship guys (with no more than a couple dozen who belong on scholarship at the FBS level) has been remarkable. Winning 6 or 7 games this season is a tremendous accomplishment. That's a huge step.

Step back and think about what this place can be. Littrell wants to (and believes fully that he can) build the program into a recognizable powerhouse. Once that is clearly in motion, then Littrell will be able to get a significant P5 job.

21 minutes ago, Dr. Seuss said:

I'm quite sure SL was on no ones radar when we were first looking for a HC.  I honestly didnt hear about him until @MeanGreenBreakdown tweeted about some random possibility and was like "who is Seth Littrell"  All everyone was talking about is current OC's that were in the area, nothing about some OC in Chapel Hill... Just like no one is talking about some coach in Denton, TX. 

I thought Mainord would actually one of the first coaches that will probably leave.  He's still on salary from UK, he's making around 275k and we're only paying him $75k. 

Doubtful. He and SL are very close.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

People had ideas of SL on here.. better candidates for mid tier schools would be like the Troy HC or even hot OCs and DCs like the one at Colorado who has turned that defense into a beast in 2 years.. went from 120th in defense to 13th.. SL ain't leaving 

Edited by BTG_Fan1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

They only mentioned CUSA coaching leaving due to their record, not because of getting poached.  

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Something to consider . . . reports are saying that, other than Morris, Larry Fedora is Baylor's top target.  And Coach Littrell would seem at least to be a reasonable candidate to replace his former boss at UNC.

Morris makes sense as a step up in a recruiting mkt he knows. Why would Fedora be interested in the mess called Baylor? Fedora was mentioned as a possible replacement for Sumlin if let go.

55 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

Morris makes sense as a step up in a recruiting mkt he knows. Why would Fedora be interested in the mess called Baylor? Fedora was mentioned as a possible replacement for Sumlin if let go.

With Herman likely headed to either Austin or Baton Rouge, sources told Yahoo Sports that North Carolina coach Larry Fedora is a prime target for Baylor, where he once worked as a graduate assistant and still has friends and supporters.

“Expect [Baylor] to get going Friday,” one source told Yahoo Sports earlier this week.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/bidding-war-for-tom-herman-could-impact-coaching-searches-across-college-football-162338932.html

Fedora is a Texan, would be well positioned to recruit Texas, and would almost certainly have a higher ceiling at Baylor than at UNC.  And Baylor pays a lot more.

I don't really see Littrell ending up at UNC as highly likely, but it is a possibility we might want to be aware of.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/bidding-war-for-tom-herman-could-impact-coaching-searches-across-college-football-162338932.html

Fedora is a Texan, would be well positioned to recruit Texas, and would almost certainly have a higher ceiling at Baylor than at UNC.  And Baylor pays a lot more.

I don't really see Littrell ending up at UNC as highly likely, but it is a possibility we might want to be aware of.

Fedora being "home" in Texas (which is logical) would help Littrell in recruiting.

9 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Don't know how u say Baylor has a higher ceiling. Look at Penn St, and Miami those coaches that came in during the sanction period are gone! I would think the penalties against Baylor will be substantial! The new coach should require s 7 year deal! Gmg 

Edited by Wag Tag
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Wag Tag said:

Don't know how u say Baylor has a higher ceiling. Look at Penn St, and Miami those coaches that came in during the sanction period are gone! I would think the penalties against Baylor will be substantial! The new coach should require s 7 year deal! Gmg 

The coach that came in for the first part of the sanctions at Penn State was hired away as an NFL head coach.  I'm sure Fedora would be crushed if he suffered a similar fate.

As far as higher ceiling, Baylor has shown over the past 5 or 6 years that they are ready to be a serious player at the national level.  They pay their coaches at a level that only the Bamas/Michigans/Ohio States of the world surpass.  They have a new stadium that many consider to be one of the best in the country.  They are surrounded by top talent.  UNC is and always will be a basketball school, and, other than an occasional anomalous season, its football will always suffer a similar fate as that of Kansas, Kentucky, and Indiana.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98
  • Upvote 1