UNT to add tour site, dorm on Eagle

Harry

The first part of a two-phase residence hall and tour center project that will add 500 beds to the University of North Texas campus will begin in February, according to school officials. The project, which will remove nearly two-thirds of the parking south of Kerr Hall, is expected to be finished by June 2018.

The new residence hall, at the corner of Eagle Drive and Avenue A, will be approximately five stories tall with an area of 122,000 square feet.

The total budget for the first phase of the project, which includes the new tour center, is $49 million. The second phase, potentially beginning in spring 2017, will cost $44 million, according to school officials.

Daniel Armitage, associate vice president for Auxiliaries Services, said the project will help UNT keep up with the growing population of students.

“As the student population continues to grow, so does the demand for students who would like to return and stay living on campus,” Armitage said.

Many of the lessons learned in the planning and construction of the Rawlins residence hall two years ago greatly informed the work on the new residence hall, said James Maguire, vice chancellor for Facilities Planning and Construction. He said the primary lesson learned was how to structure the building in a way to properly suit student experience.

read more:

http://www.dentonrc.com/local-news/local-news-headlines/20161119-unt-to-add-tour-site-dorm-on-eagle.ece

Towers are great.  Visible landmarks for miles.  TWU's campus can be seen from so far out of Denton.  That's awesome branding especially with 35.  @risinggreen I get your point but our campus hasn't ever really had the charm to preserve wth the exception of the north side of campus.  I say build em high and put a big green NT on top of them....ps great irony with the topic and your handle!   

Edited by tmjerm
  • Upvote 5

8 hours ago, MeanGreen22 said:

It's funny how students constantly complain that UNT doesn't have enough parking and UNT's response is to take away 2/3 of a lot lol

There were people complaining there wasn't enough parking when I was in school (97-03). It's not a new complaint that just popped up in the last few years.

I believe the plan if once a new Track Facility is built, Fouts will finally be demolished and one of the new structures planned to go there is a parking garage.

• Upvote 1

Although a five-floor dormitory would be the second-tallest dorm building on campus, I agree with others on this topic that they need to build taller towers if they continue to build new dorms. Rawlins didn't add any parking, and this new dorm will demolish most of the Kerr parking lot. It is absolutely ridiculous that Fouts is the only resident parking on campus now and the Highland garage is permit-only. They should do away with that and make the Highland garage commuter and guest parking, and maybe add a smaller resident parking garage over the Maple/Clark lot.

6 hours ago, UNTFan23 said:

There were people complaining there wasn't enough parking when I was in school (97-03). It's not a new complaint that just popped up in the last few years.

I believe the plan if once a new Track Facility is built, Fouts will finally be demolished and one of the new structures planned to go there is a parking garage.

Is there supposed to be a new dorm built there too?

2 minutes ago, Matt from A700 said:

Is there supposed to be a new dorm built there too?

No, Fouts site calls for a parking garage and several intramural fields.

Here is the thing about parking.   There is plenty of parking on campus... in the parking garages.  No one wants to pay for it.  There is also plenty of free parking... at Discovery Park.  No one wants to ride the bus over to main campus.

North Texas parking is cheaper and closer than most other large Texas universities.  If what the students want (and it was what I wanted when I was a student) is cheap, close parking that is always available... that is never going to be delivered by any large university, anywhere. 

22 hours ago, MeanGreen22 said:

It's funny how students constantly complain that UNT doesn't have enough parking and UNT's response is to take away 2/3 of a lot lol

Easily fixed.  That tiny 4-5 level parking garage they built by the Business Center? Add one 8-9 stories there where fouts Parking lot is.  While that is under construction go ahead and re-do the one right by the union as well.  Go big or go home! 

9 hours ago, Cerebus said:

No, Fouts site calls for a parking garage and several intramural fields.

Here is the thing about parking.   There is plenty of parking on campus... in the parking garages.  No one wants to pay for it.  There is also plenty of free parking... at Discovery Park.  No one wants to ride the bus over to main campus.

North Texas parking is cheaper and closer than most other large Texas universities.  If what the students want (and it was what I wanted when I was a student) is cheap, close parking that is always available... that is never going to be delivered by any large university, anywhere. 

Have you seen the cost of a parking pass for the parking garage? someone told me its around 800 bucks.. I'm not sure but for me to park in the Kerr Parking lot is 250 a year