Bowl Projection - week 12

shaft

Gildan New Mexico Bowl

University Stadium, Albuquerque, New Mexico
Dec. 17, 2 p.m. (ESPN)

Schlabach: Colorado State vs. Middle Tennessee
McMurphy: New Mexico vs. North Texas

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/18056738/college-football-bowl-projections-2016-season-week-12

Cactus Bowl

Chase Field, Phoenix
Dec. 27, 10:15 p.m. (ESPN)

Schlabach: North Texas vs. Kansas State
McMurphy: California vs. Kansas State

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

16 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

I know that thread exists. I'm asking if these exact bowl games we are predicted to play in are only available to us if we get in based off APR. If I'm not mistaken, if you get in based of APR, you are plugged into whatever available bowl games there are. If you get in based off your record, you are locked into bowl games based off conference affiliation or national standing so I'm wondering if these two bowl games are only attainable if we get in based off APR and not if we get in based off our record.

Just now, GMG_Dallas said:

I know that thread exists. I'm asking if these exact bowl games we are predicted to play in are only available to us if we get in based off APR. If I'm not mistaken, if you get in based of APR, you are plugged into whatever available bowl games there are. If you get in based off your record, you are locked into bowl games based off conference affiliation or national standing so I'm wondering if these two bowl games are only attainable if we get in based off APR and not if we get in based off our record.

CUSA has to fill it's bowls first.  It will depend on who can get eligible.  Right now CUSA has 4 teams for 6 slots.  UTSA needs to beat Charlotte to get to 6, USM needs to beat either us or LaTech.

If both USM and UTSA get bowl eligible, then we would fill a slot in another conferences bowl lineup.  But lets says USM loses to us and LaTech, and then then UTSA loses to Charlotte, but Charlotte also loses to MTSU.  That would mean we only have 4 bowl eligible teams.   The conference will want to fill their requirements first so we would need to use the APR exemption in a CUSA bowl.  

2 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

CUSA has to fill it's bowls first.  It will depend on who can get eligible.  Right now CUSA has 4 teams for 6 slots.  UTSA needs to beat Charlotte to get to 6, USM needs to beat either us or LaTech.

If both USM and UTSA get bowl eligible, then we would fill a slot in another conferences bowl lineup.  But lets says USM loses to us and LaTech, and then then UTSA loses to Charlotte, but Charlotte also loses to MTSU.  That would mean we only have 4 bowl eligible teams.   The conference will want to fill their requirements first so we would need to use the APR exemption in a CUSA bowl.  

Do you know the order of the CUSA bowls by chance?

17 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

CUSA doesn't have a bowl slot order.  Champion picks the bowl they want to go to.  After that the conference and the bowl committees work together to send teams to the bowl that makes the most sense for them.   

oh okay, well to the advantage of UNT is if we get to 6 wins, is that we will have barely any travel expenses going to the HOD, which C-USA should like alot

2 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

oh okay, well to the advantage of UNT is if we get to 6 wins, is that we will have barely any travel expenses going to the HOD, which C-USA should like alot

LaTech will for sure want to go there if they win the CUSA championship.  If WKU wins and the B10 is able to fill that slot, they will more than likely want it also.  

2 hours ago, Cerebus said:

LaTech will for sure want to go there if they win the CUSA championship.  If WKU wins and the B10 is able to fill that slot, they will more than likely want it also.  

I hope C-USA and them are smart enough to pair up the power schools that could beat them because that should improve the payouts as well for the entire conference.

11 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Question: are these bowl games we would make it we finished 5-7 and got in based off APR and if so, would we still be eligible if we finished 6-6? Asking because I don't recall any bowl games against B12 teams available for CUSA schools.

B12?  Colorado State and New Mexico are both from the Mountain West. 

59 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

One or the projections has us against New Mexico and the other against Kansas state.

Ah.  My bad.  Missed that one.  The Cactus Bowl prediction assumes the PAC-12 doesn't have enough bowl eligible teams to fill their spots.  If we become bowl eligible at 5-7 due to APR and not enough 6 win teams, we just drop into the mix of bowl eligible teams.   At that point, our APR score doesn't play a role in our bowl assignment.  It just gets us into the mix of bowl eligible teams.  

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

Ah.  My bad.  Missed that one.  The Cactus Bowl prediction assumes the PAC-12 doesn't have enough bowl eligible teams to fill their spots.  If we become bowl eligible at 5-7 due to APR and not enough 6 win teams, we just drop into the mix of bowl eligible teams.   At that point, our APR score doesn't play a role in our bowl assignment.  It just gets us into the mix of bowl eligible teams.  

Good to know. Would be interesting to see who we would fall against...