How many more Qbs?

Wag Tag

6 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

Isn't Augie Debiase enrolling in January too? Thought I read that somewhere

Please...no.  This is an "over parented" recruit.  This guy's dad would be in Littrell's ear daily about his son sitting on the bench/helping the team managers pour the Gatorade into the cups.

No, no, no. 

We've got plenty of QBs on board.  Fine is serviceable.  A real prep QB is committed.  A JUCO.  And, a bunch of other hangers on. 

Do not waste another scholarship here.  Get some OLs who can block for the pass as well as the run, please, instead.

Edited by MeanGreenMailbox
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3

1 minute ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Please...no.  This is an "over parented" recruit.  This guy's dad would be in Littrell's ear daily about his son sitting on the bench/helping the team managers pour the Gatorade into the cups.

No, no, no. 

We've got plenty of QBs on board.  Fine is serviceable.  A real prep QB is committed.  A JUCO.  And, a bunch of other hangers on. 

Do not waste another scholarship here.  Get some OLs who can block for the pass as well as the run, please, instead.

Pretty sure he would be a preferred walk-on. And I can guarantee you Littrell would tell that dad to F*ck off before he could get a word in edgewise. If the kid can contribute to help the team I'm fine with it

• Upvote 1

Just now, MGNation92 said:

Pretty sure he would be a preferred walk-on. And I can guarantee you Littrell would tell that dad to F*ck off before he could get a word in edgewise. If the kid can contribute to help the team I'm fine with it

Agree that he would, but it would still be a headache.  Plus, we need for the coaches to be focusing on OL recruits. 

We already know Fine can manage a game enough to win with a strong defense and special teams to back him up.  The prep coming in is likely to be the same.  So, I'm not near as worried about QB as I am the OL that gives up so any sacks when we choose to pass - since this is an "Air Raid" offense, right?

I also think that's why the yelling-at-coaches QB left and is leading Kentucky Wesleyan to a horrible season:  he figure out really quickly that this group of coaches doesn't buy into your hype until you show them the work on and off the field.

Thankfully.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

16 hours ago, Stix said:

Can't help it - gotta post it

Augie_Doggie_and_Doggie_Daddy_(title_car

He's a good Christian kid, and it's really honorable that he takes his disabled brother with him everywhere.  But, when you dig down deep into the story, there's the overbearing dad thing that runs along with it. 

There was a QB at Michigan, maybe six or seven years ago...same thing.  Kids transferred around and around.  Dad was heavily involved.  Had a brother, too, as I recall.  Neither ended up being worth a spit because of the drama they brought...and the inability to back it up with actual decent play.

Nevermind...I found it. Tate Forcier.  He and his two brothers all played QB...and all transferred around when they got beat out at their various first stops.  Dad had them training with an Todd Marinovich's maniac dad when they were in elementary school - even after Todd flamed out and was kicking around on drugs and Arena leagues.

Forcier could also never get his academic in order.  Academics were sited for his flame out at Michigan and...academic powerhouse, San Jose State!

So...anyway.  A real head case with dad pushing all the buttons (or, trying to) behind the scenes. 

Augie's a Bible verse-quoting, good kid.  And, if he could get his dad to sit down, shut up, and quit trying to force/control the process, he'd probably have already signed with someone last year and be redshirting or playing now. 

Coaches have enough headaches just babysitting the players on and off the field.  They don't need overbearing dads in the picture as well.

I'm always criticized for saying these things, but I'll say them anyway:  I'm rarely impressed with some white kid burning up a prep league full of other white kids, okay?  And, look, I'm white. 

Unless you have a situation like Southlake, Allen, or Broken Arrow or Jenks, OK, where you have only one high school in the city, so that all kids/athlete eventually funnel to one school, you rarely have these suburban kids translate their prep skills to a higher level of play.  Sorry.  They just don't see the speed or size often enough during their prep careers to translate to FBS-level college competition.

I went to a suburban schools like that, Richardson Berkner.  The only players to even really do anything from Berkner were [Norm Hitzges voice]black[/Norm Hitzges voice]:  Everson Walls (Grambling, Dallas Cowboys, NY football Giants, Cleveland Browns), Aundra Thompson (East Texas State, Green Bay Packers, SD Charges, NO Saints, Baltimore Colts), Kevin Murphy (Oklahoma, Tampa Bay Bucs, LA Raiders), Toddrick MacIntosh (Florida State), Aqib Talib (Kansas, Tampa Bay Bucs, NE Patriots, Denver Bronco).

So, for many and varied reason...please pass on Augie.  Be like Alabama:  build it from the inside (OL and DL) out.  We've got a good, game-managing QB, and a couple probably in the wings.  Get OL who can pass block as well as run block. 

Edited by MeanGreenMailbox
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 6

On 11/15/2016 at 9:50 AM, Wag Tag said:

Do we sign another QB? With the issues we have with building the roster how many do we need?

Next Year

Cason Soph (may be a walk on)

Fine Soph

O'hara Sr

Shanbour Sr

Pearson Fr

Isadora Jr

I say we keep bringing them in until we have a healthy competition and the cream rises to the top. Mason is great and young but still really rough around the edges. My hope is that Isadora comes in and wows the coaches and Starts. That way we can get Mason tooned up for a big JR/SR year

Mitch Cason, I think would be a RS FR since he hasnt seen the field

• Upvote 3

I would dislike for us to bring in more then 2 QBs.. and now we are sitting at 3 apparently with Cade committed, Izzy as the transfer and Auggie as a walk on apparently. I only dislike this because we need to bring in WRs and OLine as well and QBs can only play 1 spot on the field.. but right now an argument that I agree with, is bringing back as many QBs as possible. And hopefully you find one who clicks. So if that means we bringing in 4 or 5, I don't like it but if they've are talented and can produce more power to us. 

I also think we need to be talking with these QBs that we are recruiting and bring in their top targets as well, as PWO or even on scholarship.. I think and people have agreed in the past, bringing in a player who the QB is comfortable with can help that QB develop. 

39 minutes ago, Withers940 said:

I say we keep bringing them in until we have a healthy competition and the cream rises to the top. Mason is great and young but still really rough around the edges. My hope is that Isadora comes in and wows the coaches and Starts. That way we can get Mason tooned up for a big JR/SR year

Mitch Cason, I think would be a RS FR since he hasnt seen the field

With the low number of scholarship players we already have a one too many QBs will only lead to decreased depth at other positions...

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

With the low number of scholarship players we already have a one too many QBs will only lead to decreased depth at other positions...

Agreed, but what if we some how land a big time 3 star QB at the last minute? Chances slim but what if. If Augie is a walk on then that wont hurt our scholarship count.

Do we have all 25 scholarships for this year or is something lower?

On 11/15/2016 at 9:50 AM, Wag Tag said:

Do we sign another QB? With the issues we have with building the roster how many do we need?

Next Year

Cason Soph (may be a walk on)

Fine Soph

O'hara Sr

Shanbour Sr

Pearson Fr

Isadora Jr

WTH Is your obsession with QB's?  Change it to linemen who can block for a QB.  You & a couple others on this forum trash the one we have for whatever reason who the hell knows.   You have an agenda with someone else (a QB) you want SL to recruit or a relative on the team now?  Good grief, dude. 

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 6

11 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

WTH Is your obsession with QB's?  Change it to linemen who can block for a QB.  You & a couple others on this forum trash the one we have for whatever reason who the hell knows.   You have an agenda with someone else (a QB) you want SL to recruit or a relative on the team now?  Good grief, dude. 

Uh Uh The sentences are questions not statements! DUDE!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Withers940 said:

Agreed, but what if we some how land a big time 3 star QB at the last minute? Chances slim but what if. If Augie is a walk on then that wont hurt our scholarship count.

I have no problem leaving open a scholarship or two for late qualifying studs that might fall to us, regardless of position.

I don't think anyone really knows how many spots we have in the class for sure. @BillySee58 is that correct?

2 hours ago, Withers940 said:

I would think we have less than 25 because of blue-shirts, but I have no idea how many blue-shirts we ended up with. 

2 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Everyone on here is a huge fan of Fine, and everyone here hopes that he can/will turn this program into something special. But we also, all of us should realize that if someone better comes along, then we should play that QB don't you agree? They did it with Morris..

QBs are just like Starting Pitchers in baseball, you can never had enough of them.. Look at Texas A&M, they lost 3 top QBs prospects in a matter of 2 years in Hill, Murray, and the kid that went to Houston. Just because we want/think the team needs to bring in more QBs doesn't mean we don't like or don't support Fine, its a #s game.. But today at practice they only had 3 healthy QBs to throw passes in Morris, Quinn, and Cason.. Bringing in more kids to play will lead to better competition, thus will lead to a QB coming out of it as well. Again all of us like and love Fine, but what is Pearson comes in and does what Fine did this year in the fall and Fine just average, who would you go with? Because in that sense, we would start with Fine and then Pull him at first chance and put int Pearson just like we did to Morris...

Also, we all do agree that they need to bring in better OL and they already have 2 OL Commited vs the 1 QB commited(Cade) and 1 PWO in Izzy... Also, last year they went out and got OL late in the recruiting process in Haynes, so we can still add these guys possibly as well. 

5 hours ago, Army of Dad said:

I have no problem leaving open a scholarship or two for late qualifying studs that might fall to us, regardless of position.

I don't think anyone really knows how many spots we have in the class for sure. @BillySee58 is that correct?

Let's just go with 25 at this point, haha. I've seen enough contradictory information and loopholes to where that's the only thing I'm really certain of anymore, is that the coaches will find a way to get 25. With as many scholarships as we are short, plus the seniors, we have over 25 open spots.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, GTWT said:

I'm not sure what this has to do with playing football.

Nothing. 

But, he puts it front and center on his twitter and whatnot, the Bible verses and taking his brother everywhere with him.  All of that would be fine...but, there's the over controlling dad lurking in the background, transferring his son from high school to high school to high school to prep school.

• Downvote 3