Texas Tech (11/15/16)

CMJ

1 minute ago, forevereagle said:

Because our AD is broken and he should focus on fixing the whole, not just basketball.

It's a pretty safe assumption that when I use the phrase, "TheWren™," I've got tongue firmly implanted in cheek.  Not everything you see on the internet is a dead serious proposal. 

Edited by oldguystudent
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, forevereagle said:

Because our AD is broken and he should focus on fixing the whole, not just basketball.

He has hired a series of minions so it could be argued that he could make time for a couple of months while those minions go about the process of fixing the AD.

1 minute ago, oldguystudent said:

It's a pretty safe assumption that when I use the phrase, "TheWren™," I've got tongue firmly implanted in cheek.  Not everything you see on the internet is a dead serious proposal. 

Any things is possible, we already proven that by retaining a coach who went 10-20 last year against D1 completion...

2 minutes ago, forevereagle said:

I know, but it is worth noting it for those that may not see the joke.

The joke is that Benford lost 20 games twice in four seasons and is still coaching here...

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Stan R said:

This type of uninspired play and score differential is what will keep fans away from the s. pit for a full season.  Sad. 

This! It is coming up on four years since the last time I set foot in the Super Pit; the next time will be the new coach's first game, whenever that is.

I did waste a total of about 45 minutes last night watching rec center rat ball. My only consolation is that I remind myself that Smatty knows what good basketball looks like from his tenure at UNLV and TheWren knows good basketball and has coached. I have to believe...must believe...that they will fix this problem as soon as they are able. I look for that to be after the NCAA tournament in March, 2017. Until then, it doesn't do me any good to rant. JMHO.

• Upvote 5

46 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

He has hired a series of minions so it could be argued that he could make time for a couple of months while those minions go about the process of fixing the AD.

If this was even year 2, I could possibly be convinced that it might work out, but this is his first year and he needs to be focused on setting the right path. 

A couple of more basketball comments after the Tech game.

Tech's crowd considering they are supposedly a big time program and expecting to be good was pathetic. 

Doubtful NT has an assistant that could take over the program if Benford was terminated during the season.  

Announcers did Tech ex Benford a big favor never mentioning his abysmal record. 

Combs' talent has been the only thing that has kept NT interesting to me, but he is not the same player yet.   I wonder if there is anyway to get him an injury redshirt after he has played two games.   

Obviously, Benford who is hanging on by a thin thread is not going to make that call, but the way Combs looks; maybe he should have been redshirted this year.   

As bad as NT looked against Tech, they were better than against Sul Ross.

No offense or defense is a bad mix.  

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Reece, Holston and Green held scoreless.  We shot 30.9% from the field, 16.7% on three's and 41.7% from the free throw line.  A total cluster and an embarrassment.  

at least some things are staying the same with the team...

• Upvote 3

Tech has to be thanking their lucky stars that Benford was such a bad coach, that he couldn't win here with the most talented roster the school has had in decades, maybe ever...because if he had accomplished anything close to what was expected with Tony MItchell and company, Tech would have hired him away on the spot. And then he would have been their problem. This was the fallacy that RV made by hiring Benford. If he succeeded, Tech was going to get him quickly to come back home. If he sucked, we were stuck with him, although none of us imagined it would last the full length of his contract.

All I keep telling myself is that Benford still coaching is the trade for no longer putting up with the worst AD in the country in RV. I can put up with that for a year, knowing that Wren Baker's background with hoops might just make him able to make a solid hire here. And make no mistake, a solid hire could have us winning NEXT YEAR--it is so much eaier to turn around a basketball program to compete for conference championships than with a football team.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Reece, Holston and Green held scoreless.  We shot 30.9% from the field, 16.7% on three's and 41.7% from the free throw line.  A total cluster and an embarrassment.  

Don't worry, boys. It'll happen soon.

• Downvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/16/2016 at 7:49 AM, Maduro said:

Brice's stats looked fine for the 14 minutes he played (5 rebounds, 1 block, 3 points) and was far more significant than Holston's contribution during the same amount of time... even forced them to take a few lower % shots towards the perimeter.  He only had 2 fouls and barely touched the floor in the 2nd half.  Was there some kind of 1st half injury that I didn't notice?  If not, this just seems like another case of awful personnel management.  He's a far more imposing defensive presence than Combs currently is under the basket.

A couple of thoughts on this comment.  Why would you compare Brice a 7'1 center with Holston a guard? Two totally different roles on the floor.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, almostnewguy said:

A couple of thoughts on this comment.  Why would you compare Brice a 7'1 center with Holston a guard? Two totally different roles on the floor.

I'm not comparing those particular players and I think that all of my complaints have been geared towards this coaching staff's personnel management for a long time.  It's just me being an armchair point guard who's been watching every game safely from the stands for many years and seeing who produces results and who does not.  Brice appears to produce stats and mis-directed shots when he gets minutes along with a reasonable +/-.  I see Holston commit fouls, miss lay-up's, and the team lose ground when he's on the floor.  Personally, I'd rather see more Draper than Holston if you want me to identify someone on the bench that might need an opportunity to take his minutes... and that's with me only seeing him play less than a minute of mop-up duty against other 3rd stringers.

Do you think Holston has earned his minutes?  Brice is starting due to the Combs injury... do you think he should move back to a reserve role when the team is full strength? 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Maduro said:

I'm not comparing those particular players and I think that all of my complaints have been geared towards this coaching staff's personnel management for a long time.  It's just me being an armchair point guard who's been watching every game safely from the stands for many years and seeing who produces results and who does not.  Brice appears to produce stats and mis-directed shots when he gets minutes along with a reasonable +/-.  I see Holston commit fouls, miss lay-up's, and the team lose ground when he's on the floor.  Personally, I'd rather see more Draper than Holston if you want me to identify someone on the bench that might need an opportunity to take his minutes... and that's with me only seeing him play less than a minute of mop-up duty against other 3rd stringers.

Do you think Holston has earned his minutes?  Brice is starting due to the Combs injury... do you think he should move back to a reserve role when the team is full strength? 

You made your comments after the first game- I get it, you just don't like Holston's game. Anytime you compare Draper to Holston, as far as value, I'm not sure I am having an unbiased debate. Do you even pay attention to defense or is offense your only baby?  As far as earning minutes, Johnson had a terrible 2 games after the good first game he had. Brown and Johnson had more turnovers and more fouls than Holston.  I'm not sure how minutes are earned, I assume practice, doing what the coach as you to do, and looking at both offensive and defensive match-ups is a factor.  I also assume you want your one of your best defenders on the floor to balance with your best scorers.

Forgot about Brice- Until Combs get's healthy enough to be the player we know him to be, I don't think he should play. He was leading the team in turnovers before he was removed due to injury.  Brice had 3 passes, go through his hands early in the Hartford game, so I'm not happy with either situation, but Brice has shown to be able to hit the open shot and has been rebound better lately. But he also can't stay out of foul trouble.  Some of that is his fault for not moving his feet to get around players, some of that is the fault of his teammates inability to stop their guys from getting to the rim, where Brice is waiting to defend.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

13 minutes ago, Maduro said:

yes

and New York Sub has the best sandwiches.

57daa597180000c706314bb7.png

ONLY reason I'm considering driving to Denton to catch a game in January when we get the others elligible and hopefully Combs healthy (no thanks to TB and co rushing him back)  is to get a whole 20 with extra OV!!! 

• Upvote 2